Our number one priority this offseason .....

SteveO

More specifically locking our superstar 3B to a long term deal he cannot refuse.

Manny is the one guy on this roster that is a cornerstone you can build around. Young, dynamic and with a clear drive to win and succeed.

CD, Chen, O'Day, and anyone on the market are distant distant 2nd. Once you lock up Manny, you then start to figure out what you want to bring in around him and how to do it.

All the talk about signing this guy or that guy is meaningless if after the next several years Manny is walking out the door. If we lock up Manny for the next 6 years plus then even if we struggle next year, I will see the offseason as a success to some extent.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More specifically locking our superstar 3B to a long term deal he cannot refuse.

Manny is the one guy on this roster that is a cornerstone you can build around. Young, dynamic and with a clear drive to win and succeed.

CD, Chen, O'Day, and anyone on the market are distant distant 2nd. Once you lock up Manny, you then start to figure out what you want to bring in around him and how to do it.

All the talk about signing this guy or that guy is meaningless if after the next several years Manny is walking out the door. If we lock up Manny for the next 6 years plus then even if we struggle next year, I will see the offseason as a success to some extent.

I'm not certain it can be done.

It might take such an outrageous offer to secure his services that it would fracture the framework of future deals to the extent that it would be unworkable.

He has to have some desire to stay.

You can't literally offer him a blank check.

It might take such an outrageous offer to secure his services that it would fracture the framework of future deals to the extent that it would be unworkable.

It worked for Andre Dawson -- he won an MVP while leading the Cubs to three World Championships :thumbsup1:

But I agree. Maybe it can't be done. Still the #1 priority.

If you offer him a deal that is on par or exceed the type that Trout took 6/144 or something like 8/200 and he balks at that and seems like he is insistent on hitting the market, at that point you have to start weighing your options.

Manny is an asset you have to get max value out of be it by signing him long term or moving him for as much talent as is humanly possible. I have no doubt the Dodgers among a number of other teams with a lot of prospects would give up a kings ransom for him.

To me if you offer him that type of deal and he does not take it, then he is gone, his max value in terms of trade would seem to come around now or at latest next offseason. Given the variable that could happen between this upcoming offseason and next offseason (injury, down year etc), and given the state of the farm system. We cannot afford to hold on to him for a couple years simply because it would be a tough pill to swallow to see him go or for the sake of appearances.

Guess what I am saying is that it feels like now is the time to figure out just how willing Manny is to stick around.

How about this?

You name a Duquette move in the last season that you find indefensible and I will defend it?

Sound like a fun game?

Go!

I'm not in favor of firing Duquette, but good luck defending the Ryan Webb trade. And you aren't allowed to use "his boss told him he had to cut payroll" as a defense (even though it's probably the actual explanation).

I'm not in favor of firing Duquette, but good luck defending the Ryan Webb trade. And you aren't allowed to use "his boss told him he had to cut payroll" as a defense (even though it's probably the actual explanation).

Ooh, that one actually is tough.

I'd like to see Manny extended, but I think our number one priority needs to be improving the farm system.

Archived