Buck Accuses Sabathia of Throwing at Davis?

brianod

I'm speechless that you can't seem to differentiate between the action (A player getting hit by a pitch) and the ensuing argument (what did Buck mean when he said ....). It was just a lighthearted comment that I find it pretty silly trying to parse Buck's words. Oh, yeh, it is also silly to discuss the proper manly response. Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmm, did you see Buck during the game? Not happy. I wouldn't characterize his comments as lighthearted. Some of the minutiae in this thread? Sure a little silly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't make a lot of sense that Sabathia threw at Davis. First off, the Yanks had someone warming up and Sabathia must have known that he might get taken out, one out shy of qualifying for a win, which is exactly what happened. Either Sabathia is a great actor or he was really pissed after hitting Davis and getting taken out of the game. Why give Davis something hittable on a 3-1 pitch, (a called strike on a fastball) if the intention was to hit him. Why wait until the count is 3-2? It doesn't add up but I realize that some people won't want to listen to logic and reason. Maybe Buck thought about it.

If Buck thinks he threw at Davis, he probably threw at Davis. I value his opinion over mine or yours. A lot of people think their opinion is logical and well thought out and others that disagree are emotional and ill thought out. My own logical opinion that is well thought out and unemotional is that Sabathia threw at Davis because he's an jerk that couldn't figure out how to get him out with his current below average repertoire. I believe Buck was telling the truth in the heat of the moment and than protected his ability to respond by being vanilla with Roch.

I'm speechless that you can't seem to differentiate between the action (A player getting hit by a pitch) and the ensuing argument (what did Buck mean when he said ....). It was just a lighthearted comment that I find it pretty silly trying to parse Buck's words. Oh, yeh, it is also silly to discuss the proper manly response. Have fun.

Oh, Mac !!! You ARE a real man, after all !!!

atlas01.jpg

It doesn't make a lot of sense that Sabathia threw at Davis. First off, the Yanks had someone warming up and Sabathia must have known that he might get taken out, one out shy of qualifying for a win, which is exactly what happened. Either Sabathia is a great actor or he was really pissed after hitting Davis and getting taken out of the game. Why give Davis something hittable on a 3-1 pitch, (a called strike on a fastball) if the intention was to hit him. Why wait until the count is 3-2? It doesn't add up but I realize that some people won't want to listen to logic and reason. Maybe Buck thought about it.

Good points. I think the pitches got away from him. The Fat Man just could give a crap less if hits someone and they get hurt in the process. Buck's comments may reflect that.

In his interview with Gary Thorne, he said that he was disappointed that they threw at Davis twice and added we've seen it before with Markakis. Wow. Didn't pull any punches tonight...
Showalter on Davis, who reached base five times:

"They throw a ball over this head, hit him. Not intentionally, but that's the type of stuff good hitters have to deal with. They're pitching him hard in. Much like (Nick) Markakis. It reminded me a lot of how they used to have to pitch Nick in there with (CC) Sabathia. Chris hung in there and never gave in and made them pay."

These two do not mesh.

I didn't think Sabathia was trying to hit Davis. Pitch inside, yeah, but trying to hit him in these situations makes no sense.

Looking at the big picture, I think Givens' response was very appropriate. I don't think we should take the extreme view on either side; we shouldn't rush the mound or get in beanball wars for every inside pitch. On the other hand, we shouldn't always turn the other cheek, "take the high road," and allow other teams to hit our players with impunity. Whether it was intentional or not, Davis' HBP looked very bad. Givens supported his teammate by hitting a Royal in the leg, instead of above the shoulders which would have been reckless and classless. It is possible to be tough and protect your teammates, while at the same time being respectful of the game and your opponent.

Looking at the big picture, I think Givens' response was very appropriate. I don't think we should take the extreme view on either side; we shouldn't rush the mound or get in beanball wars for every inside pitch. On the other hand, we shouldn't always turn the other cheek, "take the high road," and allow other teams to hit our players with impunity. Whether it was intentional or not, Davis' HBP looked very bad. Givens supported his teammate by hitting a Royal in the leg, instead of above the shoulders which would have been reckless and classless. It is possible to be tough and protect your teammates, while at the same time being respectful of the game and your opponent.

Clevenger made a trip to the mound after the second out. When he came out there I knew Kendrys was going to wear one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be a little clever misdirection by Buck there as not to set off a maelstrom of words between two rival clubhouses. He has never seemed like a man who chooses his words without some level of thought. He brings attention to it, but deflected with two words and yet people still have it in their minds.

Misdirection

https://youtu.be/0aX_xjuBhbA?t=430

• 3 years later...

But he was tossed by home-plate umpire Vic Carapazza in the bottom of the sixth inning after throwing a 92.5 mph cutter into Tampa Bay Rays catcher Jesus Sucre's left leg.

"I don't really make decisions based on money, I guess," Sabathia said after the Yankees' 12-1 win over the Rays. "Just felt like it was the right thing to do."

Carapazza had issued warnings minutes prior, following a pitch in the top of the inning from Rays reliever Andrew Kittredge that sailed behind Yankees catcher Austin Romine's head. After the warnings, the next batter to be thrown at or hit would lead to ejections.

"Anytime you feel like your player's safety is in jeopardy, all guys take exception to that," Sabathia said.

It seems Sabathia is always hitting players on purpose , especially Nick Markakis.

CC

Archived