Can Junior Lake be the O's 4th outfielder next year?

wildcard

It's a lot. But there's reason for optimism. I'm fine with Clevenger at DH and C. I think Paredes can be a nugget. He needs to go to winter ball and learn to play a serviceable LF/1B. If Davis re-signs, I'm not that worried about the offense. You could sell me on platoons again for next year if we focus on the rotation.

Because that worked so well this year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davis is not resigning. Paredes, Clevenger, Pearce, Alverez, etc., are not answers, they are role players. That's the problem with this years team. 4 starting position players and a bunch of role players.

No, the problem has been the starting pitching, plus Hardy's injury/decline and Wieters not making it more than 40% of the way back to the player he was.

No, the problem has been the starting pitching, plus Hardy's injury/decline and Wieters not making it more than 40% of the way back to the player he was.
We need more position players who can hit both LH and RH pitching. We also need a true TOR. We have a bunch of role players and mid to back rotation SP. It has to change.

The team has gotten horrible production from LF and DH. That is a fact. The team is 27th in MLB in OPS from LF, and 13th in the AL in OPS from DH.

It's not the only problem the team has--the team also has poor starting pitching, and is dead last in OPS from SS. But lousy production at LF and DH cost this team games this season. It's a problem that needs to be addressed.

The team has gotten horrible production from LF and DH. That is a fact. The team is 27th in MLB in OPS from LF, and 13th in the AL in OPS from DH.

It's not the only problem the team has--the team also has poor starting pitching, and is dead last in OPS from SS. But lousy production at LF and DH cost this team games this season. It's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Yeah. Fix that before you even talk about the other stuff. It's the main difference between last season's club and this one.

The team's OPS is down from .734 last year to .724 this year. Last seasoned we averaged 4.35 runs per game. This year we have averaged 4.42 runs per game.

The difference is the pitching.

The team's OPS is down from .734 last year to .724 this year. Last seasoned we averaged 4.35 runs per game. This year we have averaged 4.42 runs per game.

The difference is the pitching.

The difference is run differential. The O's have outscored their opponents by 28 runs this year, by 117 last. Better pitching would have helped. So would have better offense.

The difference is run differential. The O's have outscored their opponents by 28 runs this year, by 117 last. Better pitching would have helped. So would have better offense.

Last year, team defense was second to the Royals, this year, they slide down to 4th, which is still pretty darn good, just not as good.

Which I expect could count for a couple of wins difference.

I don't think he's trying to back it up with stats. I think he's saying that logically, one would figure that if your team wasn't as good defensively as the year before that it might have cost the team a couple of wins. Dropping from 2nd to 4th in the league might be insignificant. Dropping from 2nd to 10th probably wouldn't be. Don't know but it's possible that the drop from 2nd to 4th might have some significance. I know I'm not doing the research. lol

I'm sure it depends. You could be 4th and five runs out of first, or you could be 4th, 100 runs out of first.

I don't think he's trying to back it up with stats. I think he's saying that logically, one would figure that if your team wasn't as good defensively as the year before that it might have cost the team a couple of wins. Dropping from 2nd to 4th in the league might be insignificant. Dropping from 2nd to 10th probably wouldn't be. Don't know but it's possible that the drop from 2nd to 4th might have some significance. I know I'm not doing the research. lol

It wont mean the difference between last and 3rd, but it could mean the difference between title and wild card.

Archived