Adam Jones: ""This is the last six games with our brothers..."

MemorialStadKid

Fixing the starting pitching will go a long way, if we can pull it off. We're going to score about the same amount of runs as last year. But we're going to allow 80-90 more. I think there's a reasonable expectation that Tillman and Gonzalez can rebound some next year, and that Gausman can improve. But I would like to see us add a top-half of the rotation guy and maybe a few other lower-cost journeymen that have had success in the past (like Fister or Kazmir).

Offensively, I think re-signing Davis obviously needs to be a priority. I'm okay with Duquette doing his stockpile trick with the corner outfield, as long as he finds guys with options (and speed/OBP) this time. It is unlikely to be a complete washout like it turned out this year. The other positions we are more or less set.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love how AJ plays

but he hit .269 this year and missed 20 games

With us a lock to be terrible next year, the O's should really be shopping him this off season.

Won't happen because he is a fan favorite and puts people in the seats, but from a baseball standpoint I believe his decline has begun. With his low walk rate I believe his decline will also be pretty steep.

There is no real evidence Adam is falling off. His OPS and SLG were up this year from last. He missed 30 games in 2009 and 40 in 2010.

Yea, and don't forget Wieters too. It definitely sucks.

I think about how great teams of the past managed to stay together but the nature of the business means that you root for uniforms more than players. Somewhere in the universe, there's an alternate timeline with the Orioles winning the WS in 2014. :)

I have to think of things like that because I'm not sure when we'll taste the sunshine again.

MSK

Well many on this board will tell you this team sucked with Davis/Chen/O'Day/Wieters....so what are we really losing?

I love how AJ plays

but he hit .269 this year and missed 20 games

With us a lock to be terrible next year, the O's should really be shopping him this off season.

Won't happen because he is a fan favorite and puts people in the seats, but from a baseball standpoint I believe his decline has begun. With his low walk rate I believe his decline will also be pretty steep.

Yea with Jones, Machado, Schoop, Gausman and Britton we will be lucky to win 50 games next year.

Yes, I'll never forgive Nelson for the impact his not returning had on the starting pitching.

It's fine to dismiss the impact of not resigning Cruz and Markakis if you'd like. But I think not having both played a major role in the swing in 1run games.

I don't think anyone would not take notice to the pitching. But I think Nelson and Markakis improve the team drastically in the close game department. We basically had nothing at DH, RF, or LF most of the season.

no ace. No Defined #1. I'll give credit for the hodge-podge efforts of the coaching staff, but there is nothing worse than sitting on the edge of your seat with every start, and how many horrific 1st innings we've had to endure all season.

I know we didn't have an ace plus huge steps backward by Tillman & Gonzo and a collapse by Norris. I also know Ulbaldo was good early and sported a 7 plus era after the break.

All in all Chen gave you 30 starts of 3 run, and 6 1/3. That pretty dam good and hard to see a #1 not on the team last year would've made a huge difference. The performance of the other 4 rotation pitchers made all the difference.

I do agree that a number 1 would be nice. But no way the Orioles will pay to keep Chen so they shouldn't pick up a #1 anywhere close to free agency.

Time to blow it up and do it right like I outlined in Last Place thread. Sounds like Jones would welcome a trade.

The hyperbole on the OH never stops amazing me. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in this article or AJ's quotes that remotely suggest or hint that he would welcome a trade. Just the opposite...

It's fine to dismiss the impact of not resigning Cruz and Markakis if you'd like. But I think not having both played a major role in the swing in 1run games.

I don't think anyone would not take notice to the pitching. But I think Nelson and Markakis improve the team drastically in the close game department. We basically had nothing at DH, RF, or LF most of the season.

I would be a lot more fine if people didn't keep conveniently forgetting that resigning Cruz in all likelihood meant not signing Davis for 2015.

Archived