Jones - "I'm not an accountant...You Have to Spend Some of the Money"

TonySoprano

Interesting thought. And if he could manage to influence CD that way I can imagine him using that as leverage with PA et al. afterward.

The premise was that he would have no chance influencing the club and only a hypothetical influencing his friend.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But, what if Davis has no interest in signing with the Orioles? Will it still be Dan's fault? Davis said in the spring that the team would have to prove it is willing to invest in winning before he would be willing to sign here. Has that happened? There teams he could help that have the money to waste on what is likely to be a very bad contract. I can't imagine him returning.

I think jones will be well informed on what went down if this is the case. More so than we will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you know this how? Did you quiz them on this information? Or are you making assumptions? I make the assumption that some players study the same data that the FO studies and some of them don't.

Interaction with FO members and players. You?

The premise was that he would have no chance influencing the club and only a hypothetical influencing his friend.

Aristotelian's post does say basically that, but I disagree with you about that having been the premise. You'd have to ask him/her, if you're genuinely curious; I won't presume. Aside from that, is there a point you were trying to make by explaining the post I quoted?

Aristotelian's post does say basically that, but I disagree with you about that having been the premise. You'd have to ask him/her, if you're genuinely curious; I won't presume. Aside from that, is there a point you were trying to make by explaining the post I quoted?

None whatsoever.

I keep having this scenario go through my head where DD and PA have a meeting with Jones, Manny and Davis, and say: "You are the big three leaders of the team and you say you want this team to stay together. We want this team together. We'll offer all three of you the same contract at $20 million per year (up slightly for Jones I believe). We'll give Jones and Davis 5 years and Manny 7. So think about whether you want to be the heart and soul of an Oriole dynasty. You sign and we'll go get Chen and look for another pitcher. And next year, we'll add Schoop if he doubles what he did this year."

That will put the ball in the players' court. Maybe Manny and Davis will want more and we probably won't be able to afford another hitter in those years, but I'd like to see if team means much.

I keep having this scenario go through my head where DD and PA have a meeting with Jones, Manny and Davis, and say: "You are the big three leaders of the team and you say you want this team to stay together. We want this team together. We'll offer all three of you the same contract at $20 million per year (up slightly for Jones I believe). We'll give Jones and Davis 5 years and Manny 7. So think about whether you want to be the heart and soul of an Oriole dynasty. You sign and we'll go get Chen and look for another pitcher. And next year, we'll add Schoop if he doubles what he did this year."

That will put the ball in the players' court. Maybe Manny and Davis will want more and we probably won't be able to afford another hitter in those years, but I'd like to see if team means much.

You think one of their agents would agree to this, let alone three?

Here it is. BR

The "Arb cost" (rough estimate) and "other costs" (estimate) are include by the Baseball Reference.

Those total Arb costs are overstated. It assumes every Arb-eligible player will be tendered and applies the industry average for Y1, Y2, Y3, and Y4 (when applies). The problem is that when players do not justify the Arb cost, they are non-tendered or traded. For example, it assigns a player like David Lough (who may not be with the org next year) an average Y1 Arb salary in 2016, Y2 in 2017, and Y3 in 2018.

Jones, Davis and Machado wouldn't be in the room, Nez Balelo, Scott Boras and Dan Lozano would be wondering if Dan and Brady were ever going to pass the doobie.

I think that imagining scenarios and conversations is a wonderful method for separating plausible ideas from plausible sounding ones.

Jones, Davis and Machado wouldn't be in the room, Nez Balelo, Scott Boras and Dan Lozano would be wondering if Dan and Brady were ever going to pass the doobie.

I think that imagining scenarios and conversations is a wonderful method for separating plausible ideas from plausible sounding ones.

Didn't the Royals get George Brett, Dan Quisenberry, and Dennis Leonard in a room and offer them lifetime deals in the mid-80s? And they accepted? I don't know the details but I'm sure there's something to that. That would seem to be a cautionary tale more than a model to follow.

Didn't the Royals get George Brett, Dan Quisenberry, and Dennis Leonard in a room and offer them lifetime deals in the mid-80s? And they accepted? I don't know the details but I'm sure there's something to that. That would seem to be a cautionary tale more than a model to follow.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/01/sports/baseball-notebook-owner-admits-error-on-lifetime-pacts.html?pagewanted=all

It appear that it was Willie Wilson.

Drug scandal

After the end of the 1983 season, Wilson found himself in a drug scandal along with teammates Willie Aikens, Vida Blue, and Jerry Martin. All four pleaded guilty to misdemeanor drug charges (attempting to purchase cocaine) on November 17. They became the first active major leaguers to serve jail time, serving 81 days at the Fort Worth, Texas, Federal Correctional Institution. He was suspended by commissioner Bowie Kuhn for the entire 1984 season, but the suspension was reduced on appeal and he was able to return on May 15. The Royals traded or released the other three, with only Wilson returning to the Royals, and he hit .301 and stole 47 bases after his return.

Wow the 80's.

I don't recall ever hearing about that at the time, but the mid-80's was a kinda baseball black hole for me so who knows. I know some sure enough crazy stuff used to happen in the days before the internet and smart phones when people had time on their hands.

Wow the 80's.

I don't recall ever hearing about that at the time, but the mid-80's was a kinda baseball black hole for me so who knows. I know some sure enough crazy stuff used to happen in the days before the internet and smart phones when people had time on their hands.

I don't think Richard Pryor meant to light himself on fire.

Archived