Pedro Alvarez may be a fit

wildcard

<iframe title="Twitter Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="padding: 0px; border: currentColor; width: 100%; height: 183.26px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 500px;" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" data-tweet-id="658989432545148929"></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

It's not a great plan to go from sub-replacement DHs to below-average DHs. Assume any field player will hit worse while DHing, so Alvarez is probably a mid-.700s OPS DH. And you know that nobody is a full-time DH despite Buck's focus on defense. Delmon, Reynolds, Cruz... you know Alvarez would find him and his -10 to -20 glove in the field sometimes.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Precisely. I really want no part of Alvarez. Jaso is a better, likely cheaper option to me.

Right. Don't just throw money at second rate players to say you've done something. That was a big problem for the Orioles during the dark age. Make sure you target the right players no matter if they're cheap or expensive.

Well that is strange considering he is a better player than Alvarez, would likely cost less and would fill the same role. Then add in the fact that Jaso has already shown he can be productive as a platoon DH.

I am not saying I would not take him, but I would not pursue him. Alvarez could replace Davis offensively if we did not put defensive requirements on him.

You good? Or what else would you need? One more Starter? Rich Hill?

So having looked at this in a little more detail, it's a pretty dismal offseason. O'Day at market value. Brown and Alvarez have been fantastically awful for the last two years. Pearce had his one magic season surrounded by years of wondering why he wasn't playing any better. And Garcia has very spotty health records, and seems likely to return to St. Louis. Add in the departure of Davis, Wieters, Chen and you're looking at a 70-something win team, with some downside below that. Rich Hill seems like kind of a hail Mary after a handful of good starts following many, many years of being injured and unable to throw strikes.

I am not saying I would not take him, but I would not pursue him. Alvarez could replace Davis offensively if we did not put defensive requirements on him.

Only 2012-2013 Alvarez. Then again, that 2014 Davis season sticks out too so, it's all relative.

What we don't want is 2014 Davis, or 2014-2015 Alvarez.

Correction - I forgot that Alvarez' offensive value in 12-13 was as a 3B, not 1B. Alvarez has never had a pure offensive season comparable to Davis in 3 of the past 4 years.

Archived