Pedro Alvarez may be a fit

wildcard

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not saying I would not take him, but I would not pursue him. Alvarez could replace Davis offensively if we did not put defensive requirements on him.

Alvarez has a career wRC+ of 106. He's never been a DH, so you have to assume a penalty as Drungo pointed out. A mid .700s OPS does not replace Davis. Davis just completed a 147 wRC+ campaign. If you think Alvarez is going to sniff anything close to that you're dreaming.

Jaso would likely come closer, albeit in a different fashion. He has a career 120 wRC+ and is coming off a 136 (.839 OPS) in a pitchers park as predominantly a DH.

Alvarez is not a good hitter, an absolutely horrid defender, has never been a DH before, and may cost over 8 million dollars. Preferring that route to Jaso is borderline insane to me.

Let me guess the rationale: "But home runs!" or something similar?

I don't want Paredes for 600 at bats. Alvarez would make a great 450 At Bat DH.

But does that role exist? Delmon was a fine 200 AB DH, but he kept getting starts against righties and put in the field. Chris Davis was often an awesome player at first base, but every once in a while you'd find him playing -30 third base when somebody got hurt. Alvarez might be decent in a limited role. But monsters lurk just outside those borders.

But does that role exist? Delmon was a fine 200 AB DH, but he kept getting starts against righties and put in the field. Chris Davis was often an awesome player at first base, but every once in a while you'd find him playing -30 third base when somebody got hurt. Alvarez might be decent in a limited role. But monsters lurk just outside those borders.

Yeah. You may be right. We even Crushed Cruz's nice season by playing him.

In his bad year he still was not that bad.

You mean Davis or Alvarez?

2014 Davis - 525 PA, .196/.300/.404, 96 OPS+, 26 HR

2014 Alvarez - 445 PA, .231/.312/.405, 101 OPS+, 18 HR

Neither one was "that bad", both seasons had offensive value. Not what we're looking for.

Look, no one is replacing Davis. There is no left handed bat available in FA or trade (that I know of) that can replace him. I get that. I would rather his replacement have some defensive value. Someone like Josh Reddick.

Alvarez is an investment over Paredes. In which case, his price difference makes me think that's not maximizing our chances to win. I think Paredes can handle RHP pretty well, and would frankly be happy resigning Pearce to platoon with him at DH - Pearce being capable of playing some positions in the field.

A guy who goes Eutaw 35 times.

Alvarez? In his entire life he's hit 35 homers in a season once. That was three years ago in 614 PAs. You're suggesting he's a platoon DH, meaning he might get 400-450 PAs. In 2013 he had 33 homers against righties in 425 PAs. So I suppose your wish is on the outer edge of plausibility. Last year he hit 24 homers with a .799 OPS vs. righties in a similar number of PAs while playing the field. I guess it all boils down to whether or not they can acquire him really cheap, pay him $5M for one year, and strictly limit his role.

You mean Davis or Alvarez?

2014 Davis - 525 PA, .196/.300/.404, 96 OPS+, 26 HR

2014 Alvarez - 445 PA, .231/.312/.405, 101 OPS+, 18 HR

Neither one was "that bad", both seasons had offensive value. Not what we're looking for.

Look, no one is replacing Davis. There is no left handed bat available in FA or trade (that I know of) that can replace him. I get that. I would rather his replacement have some defensive value. Someone like Josh Reddick.

Alvarez is an investment over Paredes. In which case, his price difference makes me think that's not maximizing our chances to win. I think Paredes can handle RHP pretty well, and would frankly be happy resigning Pearce to platoon with him at DH - Pearce being capable of playing some positions in the field.

Alvarez.

You good? Or what else would you need? One more Starter? Rich Hill?

In a word, no. I think this is an interesting off season for Baltimore and I think the fact that monetarily, you think this is what the O's will be able to afford is unfortunate. I can't be the one to authorize spending money and I will resist the same old arguments about what we as fans think SHOULD be affordable. But I will say this, if we cannot spend to compete, I think it is imperative that we trade players with value before expending their time with the Orioles. Players like O'day, Davis, Manny, Matt, Hardy, Schoop ect.

MLBtraderumors has said the O's are not likely to resign Davis and we already know that. But they said players like Alex Gordon would cost the O's a record $100 Million contract and that this was unlikely also. Spending $8 million on Pedro and a RH DH may well be the route the Orioles take, but it is not likely to improve OBP and it is not likely to keep us a strong defensive club. Pitching is probably even more exposed without stellar d and the moves you hint at above, while perhaps the cold reality, will leave this club hoping for every player to max out in order for the O's to be potentially...in the hunt.

I am prepared to accept that come March. But right now, that thought is depressing.

Alvarez? In his entire life he's hit 35 homers in a season once. That was three years ago in 614 PAs. You're suggesting he's a platoon DH, meaning he might get 400-450 PAs. In 2013 he had 33 homers against righties in 425 PAs. So I suppose your wish is on the outer edge of plausibility. Last year he hit 24 homers with a .799 OPS vs. righties in a similar number of PAs while playing the field. I guess it all boils down to whether or not they can acquire him really cheap, pay him $5M for one year, and strictly limit his role.

I believe in Pedro as a DH. I think he will blossom.

He would give us a reason to keep Nolan.

Hate the idea of using two rosters spots for the DH.

I think that's better than the idea of using 13 roster spots for the DH. Plus, you know that both Alvarez and Reimold would get some (maybe quite a bit) of time in the field. I was actually at a game this year where Nolan Reimold started in center field. Center! And the Orioles won!

In a word, no. I think this is an interesting off season for Baltimore and I think the fact that monetarily, you think this is what the O's will be able to afford is unfortunate. I can't be the one to authorize spending money and I will resist the same old arguments about what we as fans think SHOULD be affordable. But I will say this, if we cannot spend to compete, I think it is imperative that we trade players with value before expending their time with the Orioles. Players like O'day, Davis, Manny, Matt, Hardy, Schoop ect.

MLBtraderumors has said the O's are not likely to resign Davis and we already know that. But they said players like Alex Gordon would cost the O's a record $100 Million contract and that this was unlikely also. Spending $8 million on Pedro and a RH DH may well be the route the Orioles take, but it is not likely to improve OBP and it is not likely to keep us a strong defensive club. Pitching is probably even more exposed without stellar d and the moves you hint at above, while perhaps the cold reality, will leave this club hoping for every player to max out in order for the O's to be potentially...in the hunt.

I am prepared to accept that come March. But right now, that thought is depressing.

So what would weam's suggestion do to payroll? Let's say Alvarez for $8M, Brown on 1/4 or so, O'Day at $7M, Pearce at $5M, and I have no idea on Garcia. $10M? What's that, $34M? Ugh, that's still a $100M-ish payroll for a 70-win team. Ugh. Ugh.

So what would weam's suggestion do to payroll? Let's say Alvarez for $8M, Brown on 1/4 or so, O'Day at $7M, Pearce at $5M, and I have no idea on Garcia. $10M? What's that, $34M? Ugh, that's still a $100M-ish payroll for a 70-win team. Ugh. Ugh.

That was my point. Weams' idea may well be what the O's do, but I wont be happy about it. I guess my bigger point is that if the O's are not going to spend, they should manage the roster better by following Tampa's model of moving players before losing them.

Archived