any top of the order left feilders available?

connja

We could really use some speed in the lineup. Have seen a lot of talk about power first corner outfeilders, but are there any high-OPS base stealers out there? We haven't been able to steal many bases the last few seasons, and that definitely hurts us. A guy like Brett Gardner would be perfect. Doesn't look like much on the free agent lists, but via trade?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We could really use some speed in the lineup. Have seen a lot of talk about power first corner outfeilders, but are there any high-OPS base stealers out there? We haven't been able to steal many bases the last few seasons, and that definitely hurts us. A guy like Brett Gardner would be perfect. Doesn't look like much on the free agent lists, but via trade?

No. There are not.

LJ Hoes. Only 25. Has like 4 seasons worth of success at AAA. Has started stealing bases. He won't get a chance in Houston. He's out of options. We have a good relationship with HOU. The Norris trade. The Jason Garcia trade(people forget about this one), Chris Lee trade, Rich Rodriguez trade. Throw them a low level milb'er that doesnt have to be on the 40 man roster and he'd be ours.

LJ Hoes. Only 25. Has like 4 seasons worth of success at AAA. Has started stealing bases. He won't get a chance in Houston. He's out of options. We have a good relationship with HOU. The Norris trade. The Jason Garcia trade(people forget about this one), Chris Lee trade, Rich Rodriguez trade. Throw them a low level milb'er that doesnt have to be on the 40 man roster and he'd be ours.

Houston has a 40 man roster crunch.

Why not give Reimold a shot, assuming he can get on base. I wouldn't expect him to steal a lot of bases, but I think he has enough speed for a leadoff hitter. Just have to be a smart baserunner.

I think Reimold might have a shot at it, at least as a platoon leadoff OF, if DD doesn't find somebody else this off-season.

L.J. Hoes has a MLB walk rate of 7%, and his ISO is going to be around .100. He's going to have to hit .300 to clear a .700 OPS. He only occasionally hit .300 in the minors, and his MLB average thusfar is .237. He's not a great defender. I'm mildly interested as a backup plan, but it's pretty likely he's Juan Pierre with less than half the steals and a batting average .030 lower.

I think Reimold might have a shot at it, at least as a platoon leadoff OF, if DD doesn't find somebody else this off-season.

I think that's a good assessment. If Duquette can't find anyone better than the 32-year-old guy who hasn't played 100 MLB games in a season in six years, has a spotty performance record, is a poor fielder, and is hurt almost hourly... yea, why not, give him a shot.

L.J. Hoes has a MLB walk rate of 7%, and his ISO is going to be around .100. He's going to have to hit .300 to clear a .700 OPS. He only occasionally hit .300 in the minors, and his MLB average thusfar is .237. He's not a great defender. I'm mildly interested as a backup plan, but it's pretty likely he's Juan Pierre with less than half the steals and a batting average .030 lower.

Is Borbon's window of opportunity closed?

I know Janish was quoted the other day, saying he really liked what he saw and thought he could be a 4th or 5th OF on the team.

Is Borbon's window of opportunity closed?

I know Janish was quoted the other day, saying he really liked what he saw and thought he could be a 4th or 5th OF on the team.

Borbon turns 30 in February. He just hit .269/.299/.321 in AAA. His career MLB line in 800+ PAs is .272/.318/.347 with an .075 ISO. Despite ample opportunities in the Baltimore outfield in '15 he never got a call-up. I have a hard time seeing him making the roster unless there's a rash of injuries.

Archived