any top of the order left feilders available?

connja

Borbon turns 30 in February. He just hit .269/.299/.321 in AAA. His career MLB line in 800+ PAs is .272/.318/.347 with an .075 ISO. Despite ample opportunities in the Baltimore outfield in '15 he never got a call-up. I have a hard time seeing him making the roster unless there's a rash of injuries.

http://m.masn.mobi/school-of-roch/2015/10/this-that-and-the-other-102.html

* Julio Borbon never made it to Baltimore this summer, but Paul Janish thinks his former teammate at Triple-A Norfolk could be an excellent fourth or fifth outfielder with the Orioles.

Borbon, 29, is a plus defender who has intrigued manager Buck Showalter. The former first-round draft pick batted .269/.299/.321 in 114 games with Norfolk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* Julio Borbon never made it to Baltimore this summer, but Paul Janish thinks his former teammate at Triple-A Norfolk could be an excellent fourth or fifth outfielder with the Orioles.

Borbon, 29, is a plus defender who has intrigued manager Buck Showalter. The former first-round draft pick batted .269/.299/.321 in 114 games with Norfolk.

It's nice that Paul Janish is touting his buddy as a solid David Lough replacement.

Borbon turns 30 in February. He just hit .269/.299/.321 in AAA. His career MLB line in 800+ PAs is .272/.318/.347 with an .075 ISO. Despite ample opportunities in the Baltimore outfield in '15 he never got a call-up. I have a hard time seeing him making the roster unless there's a rash of injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck likes plus defenders that is a given.

Given the number of OFers that came through the roster this season, I wonder why we didn't see Julio for a few games at least.

Was he hurt in 2015?

I don't think so, which was something of a miracle.

yes, I know, he has the fragile tag on him, but maybe, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Unfortunately that tunnel leads to "I'm five years past the age where a typical player peaks."

I thought Reimold had improved his defense in the OF, I would never confuse him with a plus defender, but he was better than some they had play this season.

In his Historical Abstracts Bill James had a bullet in each decade summary titled "Can I try this career over?" or something like that. With a name from each decade for a player who didn't quite make it for reasons not entirely in his control, or at least not because of his playing ability. Reimold would be a good candidate for a future revision of the book.

L.J. Hoes has a MLB walk rate of 7%, and his ISO is going to be around .100. He's going to have to hit .300 to clear a .700 OPS. He only occasionally hit .300 in the minors, and his MLB average thusfar is .237. He's not a great defender. I'm mildly interested as a backup plan, but it's pretty likely he's Juan Pierre with less than half the steals and a batting average .030 lower.

I see what you're saying. But in a PED free game we all have to reset our settings on what a "good" player is. I think he could be like a Ben Revere. That's his ceiling. But in this era and in this market that's valuable. He might not walk alot, but he doesn't strike out alot either. He's better than Alvarez. At least fit wise. Plus he's played some CF in HOU, not alot but all we need is a guy to play in a pinch. Here's how my ideal/realistic OF would look for next year:

Sign Davis and Pearce, sign a lefty corner guy, either 1B or OF,

vs RHP

CF: AJ

RF: FA Lefty

LF: Pearce

1B: Davis (I'd be happy with him in RF if we can find a Lefty 1b)

DH: Parades or a FA like Jaso

vs LHP

LF: Reimold

RF: Hoes

1B: Davis

DH: Pearce

As crazy as it sounds you could bat Reimold and Hoes 1-2 against LHP. Then smile because they finally developed. But this is only acceptable if we bring Davis back. If not I'm going to want us to spend some money on the OF.

milb numbers http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=hoes--001jer

Sounds like he is a clone of Lough, plus defender at the major league level, who has a weak bat, but can play all 3 spots.

At a very high level, but I doubt they're the same player. Similar offensive performances in the majors, but Lough has truly impressive defensive stats, his +22 UZR/150 is almost off the charts. I doubt Borbon is his equal.

Toronto media speculates that the Jays may not pay Ben Revere his arb. raise expected to be 6+M. They currently have Michael Saunders and Dalton Pompey in the wings. We know that DD came close to acquiring Revere at the deadline only to lose him to the BJ's at the last minute. Should Toronto attempt to trade him, I doubt he comes to the O's since we never deal with that outfit.

I see what you're saying. But in a PED free game we all have to reset our settings on what a "good" player is. I think he could be like a Ben Revere. That's his ceiling. But in this era and in this market that's valuable. He might not walk alot, but he doesn't strike out alot either.
The last two years Revere has been a full-time 2.0 win, league-average player, and that's with almost a win worth of baserunning value and hitting .300. If Ben Revere hit .260 with 3 runs of baserunning value he'd be a well-below-average player. I think that's probably LJ Hoes.

I know I probably sound very down on some of these suggestions, but it's all about how the rest of the team stacks up. If the O's acquired a Heyward or an Upton something along those lines I'd be perfectly fine with a combination of guys like Hoes or Revere or Reimold or Lough covering the other OF spot and backup positions.

I know I probably sound very down on some of these suggestions, but it's all about how the rest of the team stacks up. If the O's acquired a Heyward or an Upton something along those lines I'd be perfectly fine with a combination of guys like Hoes or Revere or Reimold or Lough covering the other OF spot and backup positions.

If they shore up the starting pitching, then this team can win, look at 2014.

A

I see what you're saying. But in a PED free game we all have to reset our settings on what a "good" player is. I think he could be like a Ben Revere. That's his ceiling. But in this era and in this market that's valuable. He might not walk alot, but he doesn't strike out alot either. He's better than Alvarez. At least fit wise. Plus he's played some CF in HOU, not alot but all we need is a guy to play in a pinch. Here's how my ideal/realistic OF would look for next year:

Sign Davis and Pearce, sign a lefty corner guy, either 1B or OF,

vs RHP

RF: FA Lefty

LF: Pearce

1B: Davis (I'd be happy with him in RF if we can find a Lefty 1b)

DH: Parades or a FA like Jaso

vs LHP

LF: Reimold

RF: Hoes

1B: Davis

DH: Pearce

As crazy as it sounds you could bat Reimold and Hoes 1-2 against LHP. Then smile because they finally developed. But this is only acceptable if we bring Davis back. If not I'm going to want us to spend some money on the OF.

milb numbers http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=hoes--001jer

What PED free game? Besides, we just need stronger guys who eat better and workout more to be the best 750. Not revise our ideas of quality downward. 1968 is not coming back. Neither is the pitcher hitting.

Archived