The Best Way to Have a Chance at Machado Long Term

brianod

hes the best baseball player the Orioles have had since Cal. There's no one in the system who has Mannys potential. He is our Trout. Our Harper. He can the same money the Orioles could pay him for a dozen teams. If you sell him to sign here you have to show that he has the opportunity to play post seasons and compete for a title

He owes the team o loyalty. The Orioles are paying him less than he's worth because that's the system. He plays for less now, to make bank later. Are the Orioles altering that equation? No.

Mannys going to get a 10/280-320 if he holds up. Will he sign here to be surrounded by cheap parts? Or can the Orioles prove they are serious about surrounding hi with talent so he'll take 8/225

I disagree that Manny owes us anything but I agree that he's not going to be signed surrounded by spare parts. That's the point of the post.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a very "sky is falling" post and it's really hard to take seriously. Machado's decision to sign a contract has zero, nothing to do with where Davis et al. wind up.

For instance, take a look at Adam Jones and his contract. When was it signed? Were the Orioles completely trash when he signed it?

I think Adam Jones already voiced his dissatisfaction with the lack of effort to keep our players/ improve the team. Any competitive player wants to win ball games. Who wants to sign a 8-10 year contract that will never be backed up with the commitment to win.

Do you wanna keep Manny? It is the only way you do. You don't get a deal because you signed nice teammates.

Given that ownership is cheap, we probably can't afford him long term. We need to focus on building the farm yesterday. I don't want to root for a hall of famer and a bunch of scrubs that lose 90 games each year.

I think Adam Jones already voiced his dissatisfaction with the lack of effort to keep our players/ improve the team. Any competitive player wants to win ball games. Who wants to sign a 8-10 year contract that will never be backed up with the commitment to win.

thank you, that is my point. If we have a dynamic farm and a competitive major league team, Manny will sign with us. If we don't, no amount of money will suffice.

Isn't signing a premium player to an 8-10 year showing a commitment to winning?

thank you, that is my point. If we have a dynamic farm and a competitive major league team, Manny will sign with us. If we don't, no amount of money will suffice.

You will take a ton of abuse for not being a homer on here. I think you are right....the only reason Manny extends us to cash in early. That could buy us a few years...but I think it will take a commitment to winning and that will take new ownership.

Seriously? You know what I'm saying Corn....why had Jones made comments about the team needing to spend?

One big contract does not a team make. Manny can't do it alone.

Jones made comments because: his buddies were leaving and he probably has little knowledge how the game's finances really work. Do you think he wanted Nick and Nelson to stay strongly enough that he would take a pay cut to keep them?

You can run a team by following the dictates of what your players request in the media.

Jones made comments because: his buddies were leaving and he probably has little knowledge how the game's finances really work. Do you think he wanted Nick and Nelson to stay strongly enough that he would take a pay cut to keep them?

You can run a team by following the dictates of what your players request in the media.

It shows how he feels about the lack of commitment to winning.

I'm not saying they need to run the team at the urging of your star player. I think Adam will think long and hard before extending again. After watching this organization operate do you really think Manny will want to stay. You and I can see the bargain bin approach ...you don't think our best players can?

They can get the money and go play for a team that cares about winning more than hiding the MASN profits and crying poor. Angelos has not really signed a big time free agent that was in demand since Albert Belle. He blew the Mike Mussina situation and he has a hard line approach that we've heard about on free agent pitchers.

I'm pretty sure those guys in the clubhouse while watching sportscenter highlights were thinking "man, he should be doing that for us. If we had Nellie we'd be 'insert positive outcome here' right now".

Whether they use the money to sign a top FA or several nice pieces I do think DD needs to be bold. Get a marquee FA or a few very good pieces to fill holes. My fear is that they get outbid for a Davis/Upton/Heyward and for the role players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived