If the Orioles want to be taken seriously, they need to make a splash signing fast...

birdcrazy

The average fan definitely overvalued Markakis and undervalues the contributions of cheaper options.

In hindsight Kazmir or Liriano were better signings than Ubaldo, but it's not like those two pitchers were risk free.

This is a critical offseason for the team and fans have a right to be worried, but the "sky is falling" attitude and negativity of some fans is really obnoxious given our recent success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The average fan definitely overvalued Markakis and undervalues the contributions of cheaper options.

In hindsight Kazmir or Liriano were better signings than Ubaldo, but it's not like those two pitchers were risk free.

This is a critical offseason for the team and fans have a right to be worried, but the "sky is falling" attitude and negativity of some fans is really obnoxious given our recent success.

Yes and no.

We just came off an 81 win season.

That's hardly break out the confetti.

Furthermore, our two most valuable pitchers, and our second most valuable position player, are FAs, and likely not to return.

IF this team doesn't figure something out, we're not going to compete next year. And give the state of our farm, we're not going to compete going forward either.

I agree with you, but I'm waiting to see what they do before I declare our chances dead.

We don't need 1 big signing. We need to find effective players that fit into our budget. We'll need to take chances and get creative, but I do believe we can find a playoff contender when it's all said and done.

I agree with you, but I'm waiting to see what they do before I declare our chances dead.

We don't need 1 big signing. We need to find effective players that fit into our budget. We'll need to take chances and get creative, but I do believe we can find a playoff contender when it's all said and done.

I agree w all this.

But to be honest, we're going to need some luck.

It's hard to sell the fanbase on the idea that Nate McLouth, De Aza, and Lough have been as valuable as Josh Hamilton over the past three years for maybe 1/10th of the cost and none of the baggage. Because the Angels wanted it more and were committed to winning while the O's hate their fans.

It's not the Os. It's the ownership, and any management ever employed by them. Not Buck though. Buck would send all the money.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I should have used "don't care about winning as much as making money" instead of "hate their fans".

Drungo, I'm not lashing back at you personally. I know you one of the better posters here. I've been an Orioles fan since I was very young kid sneaking a earphone into my radio back in the late 70s.

As witnessed by tens of thousands of posts on this site I have invested tons of time into this team. Most guys posting here care enough about the Orioles to post here.

I know there are posters here that don't care for how I feel about the team and what I consider a bottom 5 ownership group.

That's okay as far as I'm concerned. I like to think that I'm keeping it real.

It is a fact that the owner cares about profits over winning. It's true that he's openly said MASN is s separate business as justification not to spend the revenues to benefit the on field product.

I'm hoping the team is sold ASAP and the new group can afford to assume MASN D well.

All that said I still love my hometown team and hope for a brighter future!

New posters say similar things every year... The homer group defends this team and its ownership. When the offseason is over we are all disappointed.

New posters say similar things every year... The homer group defends this team and its ownership. When the offseason is over we are all disappointed.

You were right, during the 14 year dry spell, and the apologists spun their load of manure.

But, wouldn't you say the 3 year run before this past season, and with the best win % in baseball, have something to do with some optimistism now?

Having an Owner that really cares about winning before the profit, doesn't always work out, just look at Snyder and the Redskins.

As for owners, the guy that I really like these days is Mark Cuban. He doesn't use the team to make money for his wallet, he doesn't mind spending, and he really wants to win, and they have won down there.

This is a subjective thing but I think you're wrong.

But what really matters is that at the end of the day, people want money spent, but they really want a winner.

Nobody's going to complain if we run a 50 mil payroll out there next year if we win 95 games.

That's irrefutable.

Well, the Orioles won 96 games in 2014, and that certainly didn't stop some people from complaining. Four consecutive non-losing seasons have done little to stop those folks from complaining. Heck, we've got people whining and complaining right now, and the long off-season hasn't really even gotten started yet. The QO players' decisions whether or not to accept their offers weren't even due until today, for Pete's sake. Mind you, the majority of fans aren't constantly complaining.

They aren't new posters. And we have a very diverse group of respected positions that post here at all times. If we are going to start with the apologist, homer, optimist, negative nellie, name calling right away - I will nip it in the bud.

This is a subjective thing but I think you're wrong.

But what really matters is that at the end of the day, people want money spent, but they really want a winner.

Nobody's going to complain if we run a 50 mil payroll out there next year if we win 95 games.

That's irrefutable.

I will refute it.

I think that many will complain. I am certain that you and I will not.

I think that if we spend 50 million, and only win 95 games, we will get dinged for the way we win games. If only we were not so cheap, we would have won 105 and clinched home field throughout the playoffs.

New Ownership!
You can hope. But unless a family tragedy wipes out the current family and all heirs, they will out last you. It might be best for you to come to grips with that.

Maybe 15 years ago that could have been a hope. It appears that the transition to the next generation of owners has occurred. You can hope. But wailing about it will only bring you heartbreak and make you sad.

Drungo, I'm not lashing back at you personally. I know you one of the better posters here. I've been an Orioles fan since I was very young kid sneaking a earphone into my radio back in the late 70s.

As witnessed by tens of thousands of posts on this site I have invested tons of time into this team. Most guys posting here care enough about the Orioles to post here.

I know there are posters here that don't care for how I feel about the team and what I consider a bottom 5 ownership group.

That's okay as far as I'm concerned. I like to think that I'm keeping it real.

It is a fact that the owner cares about profits over winning. It's true that he's openly said MASN is s separate business as justification not to spend the revenues to benefit the on field product.

I'm hoping the team is sold ASAP and the new group can afford to assume MASN D well.

All that said I still love my hometown team and hope for a brighter future!

I think Angelos used to care more about winning. Not actually sure what happened but perhaps he wants to give a nice next egg for his kids. MASN is going to change over the years. if cable lets you pick your channels or more people just don't have it,teams won't get the carriage fees from subscribers.

Sure.

But that doesn't really change the fact:

The "average" fan wants to win as much as possible.

And yeah, they clamor for money to be spent, but if you win, you don't hear about it.

And if you lose, all you do is hear about it.

The average fan wants continuity, but they also want action and signings and new faces. They want spending, but don't want to hear about being handcuffed by bad deals because money shouldn't matter. They want to win above all else, but definitely want to win with "our guys" more than some random guys who were on the Angels last year. They'll be sad when Markakis leaves, even if he hits two homers and plays poor defense for his new team. I personally know casual fans who wonder why we didn't keep McLouth, because he was awesome.

The average fan wants continuity, but they also want action and signings and new faces. They want spending, but don't want to hear about being handcuffed by bad deals because money shouldn't matter. They want to win above all else, but definitely want to win with "our guys" more than some random guys who were on the Angels last year. They'll be sad when Markakis leaves, even if he hits two homers and plays poor defense for his new team. I personally know casual fans who wonder why we didn't keep McLouth, because he was awesome.

And how many did you hear complaining about no McLouth when we won 96 games?

You can't say you're talking about the average fan, when really you're talking about the most negative mega-fan on this board.

Archived