Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

Hey man. Just gonna say, I argued with you that there was no way MW was taking the QO. Man enough to admit when I am wrong. Clearly was dead wrong on this one. That said, I am just a fan posting on a message board, as are you, DD on the hand gambled and lost. Again.

I'm cool. I appreciate the post.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There are risks in every move you make. I came to realize that we're not guaranteed tomorrow, so anything could happen on any day. The only thing I could do is try to make the best decision given the circumstances right now. And I feel a lot of good things can come out of being back in Baltimore and having connections like knowing everybody and feeling like it's really not a one-year deal. It's turned into an eight-year deal of being there."

"You're always going to be listening. I love playing there and more importantly, I love being a part of that team and the guys in the clubhouse. I'm already excited about spring training now, which I didn't know if it would happen this early in the offseason, so that's a good feeling."

"I'll definitely try to make contact with those guys and see if there's anything I can do to help make the decision easier to come back to Baltimore. They're all great players and they're going to get a lot of offers out there. Everybody's situation is different. I felt that my situation at this time was telling me to come back to Baltimore and play another year there. I think Adam said the other day, we want to have everybody come back, but we know it's the business of baseball and that may not be how it goes. But whatever the guys do, we'll be more than ecstatic to have them back, and the guys who find other teams, we'll wish them the best."

A couple of months ago I would have thought this was bad news. But the scare off us completely losing everyone and striking out in the FA market has me thinking this is alright. At least we have one opening filled. Clevenger can DH or play 1b. Looking into the future, Cisco may only be a year away. He finished last year in AA. Will start there this year. This decision could actually work out better than expected. #atleastwearenotlosingeveryone

I'm not happy about this. I was hoping Matt would turn it down, and sign somewhere else. His offense never lived up to the hype (Buster Posey came closer to what Matt was expected to be, and likely would've hit more home runs at the plate in a smaller park at home and in many road games, as Matt did.) He's been good at throwing out runners, but not at framing pitches. Being a big guy, I think his time as catcher is limited. The only other position he could play is first base, or he could DH, but I don't know if his offense will improve once he stops catching. Maybe one day he'd realize that neck high pitches on strikes.

I know Buck talked about the team trying to sign him to a long-term contract, but I really hope they don't. Davis, I'm all right with for five years, maybe six, if he accepts one that isn't too outrageous,, but I don't feel the same about Matt.

I hope this works out for our Orioles.

" that to be able to play a full year healthy and be able to catch as many games as I want to catch is something that I want to go out there and do next year."

Given Buck's positive spin on hoping Matt would take it coupled with this quote I assume he will be primary catcher, not sure that is good for anyone but Matt. Did DD expect this outcome? Did PA expects this? what impact will this have on total pool of $$ available this off season? Does this help or hurt DD's credibility with PA if DD didn't predict this? Many questions and no answers.

Problem is this.

Lets say MW has a very good year, lets say he puts 3.3 win season. That's great right? Problem is CJ was worth 2.2 wins this year. So you have in essence paid 15+ million for about ONE win difference at best between what you had (CJ) and what MW gave you. That is if everything goes great and MW has a really good year. There is not a whole lot to cheer about in that proposition for a team with the number of needs we have. Not good at all.

If that is true, then you're reaching the wrong conclusion.

1) $15.8MM can't fill all the holes

2) 2016 is a re-tooling year in your scenario

3) Worst case, in 2017 the O's have that $15.8MM free

4) Best case, in 2017 the O's have that $15.8MM free and have either traded Wieters mid-2016 or receive a comp pick

I'm not sure if you've read my post on one of the previous pages, but I posited that we have 7-9 holes to address this off-season. Would you agree or do you feel as though there are a different number of holes to fill?

If that is true, then this doesn't really matter one way or another. You can't fill 7-9 spots with $15.8MM in one offseason.

Just stop. You are being silly now. Using a career average of fWAR to determine the value of a 30-year old catcher who hasn't been worth more than that since 26-years old is bordering on ludicrous. I know you know better and I'm starting to be convinced someone has hacked your account because you are too smart for this kind of stuff.

Last year he played an a two-win pace. Buying two wins on the market costs $14M or so. That's all I'm saying.

Archived