2015 Orioles Top Prospect list 1-30

Tony-OH

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not complaining but they are cuban signees rather than from the Dominican or Venezuala. Nonetheless at least have some international guys, no matter where exactly they came from.

Not sure it should really make a difference but Ortega, Reyes, and Peralta are from the Dominican Republic so three of the six are Dominican and three are Cuban. Also, Leyva was signed and made his pro debut at 20 so his signing is far more akin to the other three (in terms of age, growth potential) than Alvarez and Miranda.

The Orioles went a long time with little to no contributions from players they signed internationally and developed. Unless I am forgetting someone obvious, Daniel Cabrera probably had the most success of any signed & developed international player during the losing years which says something. So the fact that we have seen some guys like Schoop and Eduardo Rodriquez look to be major league players for years to come and Tony has six international players in his top 20 is a good sign. If you add in Asian players (Chen, Wada, Yoon and) and some stretches from different parts of the world (Pita Rona, Jan Novak), the organization has done far more in recent years to take advantage of the international markets than they had in the prior 15+ years. Maybe they still need to more, but we can still recognize it as a significant step forward.

Just to fan the flames a bit -- where would Zach Davies have been on this list if he were still in our organization?

Honestly, probably number three. If you want to feel worse, he would be number four if Hader was still in the system.

I'm not giving up on D.J. Stewart after 200 PAs in Aberdeen. It's not that unusual to struggle in a debut, and the NY-Penn League is often the lowest-scoring affiliated minor league.

The performance was worrisome no doubt, but the other concern is from the scouting side which failed to see any plus tools. He's a below average defender and runner, so his bat needs to be at a premium. The other issue he was just consistently bad. It's not like he had a brutal streak that skewed his numbers. Obviously you never give up on a guy after a bad first encounter with professional pitching, but he certainly raised some question marks for a guy who was supposed to have an advanced bat.

I'm surprised Bridwell's not on the list after having a decent season at Bowie, especially since he was ranked #8 last year. What's the story on Bridwell?

Bridwell will be in the 21-30 range due to his inconsistencies. He's got talent, and I still think he'll be much better out of the pen and the Orioles should just stick him there now and see what they've got, but Bridwell still struggles to repeat his mechanics. His stuff backed up for me a little bit this year though his change up can be swing and miss. I'd like to see them stick him in the bullpen next year at Norfolk and let him just let it loose and not think too much.

Honestly, probably number three. If you want to feel worse, he would be number four if Hader was still in the system.

Toronto gave up something like 22 prospects over the last few years and they're still rated better than us. :mad:

Any word from McKenna, Heinrich, Curran or Ferguson? Are any of them close to cracking the top 20?

Toronto gave up something like 22 prospects over the last few years and they're still rated better than us. :mad:

Any word from McKenna, Heinrich, Curran or Ferguson? Are any of them close to cracking the top 20?

One of those 4 made the 21-30 that will come out tomorrow. #teaser

The performance was worrisome no doubt, but the other concern is from the scouting side which failed to see any plus tools. He's a below average defender and runner, so his bat needs to be at a premium. The other issue he was just consistently bad. It's not like he had a brutal streak that skewed his numbers. Obviously you never give up on a guy after a bad first encounter with professional pitching, but he certainly raised some question marks for a guy who was supposed to have an advanced bat.

Oh, no argument here. I'm not saying he's definitely going to bust out. I'm am curious about what happened between scouting him in college, and at Aberdeen. What changed, if anything?

Bridwell will be in the 21-30 range due to his inconsistencies. He's got talent, and I still think he'll be much better out of the pen and the Orioles should just stick him there now and see what they've got, but Bridwell still struggles to repeat his mechanics. His stuff backed up for me a little bit this year though his change up can be swing and miss. I'd like to see them stick him in the bullpen next year at Norfolk and let him just let it loose and not think too much.

Isn't he Rule 5 eligible? If so, is there any chance a team takes him, sticks him in the pen, and just lets him pitch mopup all year? The raw stuff doesn't seem to be the question mark.

Oh, no argument here. I'm not saying he's definitely going to bust out. I'm am curious about what happened between scouting him in college, and at Aberdeen. What changed, if anything?

From what I understand nothing changed. He started dinkering on his own with his stance once he didn''t have success and that may have compounded things some. He's on the prospect list because I can't believe his bat is that bad after the numbers he put up in college. Next year we should get a better evaluation.

Isn't he Rule 5 eligible? If so, is there any chance a team takes him, sticks him in the pen, and just lets him pitch mopup all year? The raw stuff doesn't seem to be the question mark.

I think the Orioles will protect him, but if not, I could see a lower Division team taking a chance on the fastball-change combination.

Archived