Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Doesn't sound too close, but who knows. I was thinking that taking Ethier's salary might help us get Wood. Hits righties very well - struggled mightily vs lefties.

No. They aren't giving up Wood to sell Ethier. They think someone will be stupid enough to believe that last year was Ethier.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. They aren't giving up Wood to sell Ethier. They think someone will be stupid enough to believe that last year was Ethier.

With Kershaw, Kazmir, Anderson, Maeda, and Ryu - thought Wood might be available. Deep rotation. Nice problem to have. Ethier's numbers vs lefties suggest platoon player - have for years. Platoon at that money is a problematic scenario.

They're certainly going to try, but the reality for them is they really want to get rid of him before 10/5 kicks in.

funny thing is, if the Dodgers lose his bat vs RHP their lineup takes a big hit. And they have to do it anyway to avoid a bad situation (disgruntled outfielders, plural) getting worse.

...and I don't blame any of this on Andrew Friedman. I wonder if he realized he would be trying to avoid a train wreck when he showed up.

With Kershaw, Kazmir, Anderson, Maeda, and Ryu - thought Wood might be available. Deep rotation. Nice problem to have. Ethier's numbers vs lefties suggest platoon player - have for years. Platoon at that money is a problematic scenario.

What about trading for Ryu if they don't want to trade Wood. He's only owed 3/23 million. He's LH. Been really good in the MLB. He's had enough time to recover from labrum surgery to be ready for ST. He said he even knew he had a minor tear in the labrum the last two years. Could be a good buy low candidate.

What about trading for Ryu if they don't want to trade Wood. He's only owed 3/23 million. He's LH. Been really good in the MLB. He's had enough time to recover from labrum surgery to be ready for ST. He said he even knew he had a minor tear in the labrum the last two years. Could be a good buy low candidate.

I don't think the Dodgers are going to sell low on him. It would take quite a haul to land him.

Obviously, at this point the Orioles need to be pursuing all available options. I picked the Dodgers because after the All Star break, they could be 8 deep in starters if everybody is healthy. Ryu and Wood are both lefty, but Ryu is more experienced and penciled in as their number three, so I figured Wood may be more available. Obviously, Ryu had some success and solid groundball rates. Shoulders are scary. Some research has shown only 50% of pitchers come back from a torn labrum surgery and get back to their previous level. I grabbed a random sample of ten pitchers who'd had labrum surgery a few years back on here and remarkably five of them had managed to attain previous levels of success, three of them were pitching but had regressed, and two of them were out of the sport. Ryu had some issues with the shoulder and durability before last year, so it is a concern, but I hope the Orioles are creatively looking at many options, and if they need to absorb a bad contract to get a solid pitcher, save the 14 pick, and not gut the farm system then that may be worth considering. I consider Ethier's contract that way. His lefty splits make him an aging and expensive platoon guy who hits righties well. Career .639 vs .885 OPS splits.

Obviously, at this point the Orioles need to be pursuing all available options. I picked the Dodgers because after the All Star break, they could be 8 deep in starters if everybody is healthy. Ryu and Wood are both lefty, but Ryu is more experienced and penciled in as their number three, so I figured Wood may be more available. Obviously, Ryu had some success and solid groundball rates. Shoulders are scary. Some research has shown only 50% of pitchers come back from a torn labrum surgery and get back to their previous level. I grabbed a random sample of ten pitchers who'd had labrum surgery a few years back on here and remarkably five of them had managed to attain previous levels of success, three of them were pitching but had regressed, and two of them were out of the sport. Ryu had some issues with the shoulder and durability before last year, so it is a concern, but I hope the Orioles are creatively looking at many options, and if they need to absorb a bad contract to get a solid pitcher, save the 14 pick, and not gut the farm system then that may be worth considering. I consider Ethier's contract that way. His lefty splits make him an aging and expensive platoon guy who hits righties well. Career .639 vs .885 OPS splits.

I'm kind of out of touch with the Dodgers. Seems to me like they have a ton of SP's and top prospects like Urias that are going to be ready soon. Logic would say you can't or shouldn't keep them all, but when you have a $300 million payroll, I guess things don't make much sense.

Seems to me it would be just like last year when they were trying to pawn Kemp on us. I'm sure they're offering Wood and Ethier for Gausman. I think Cashner is the better fit if SD really want's to make a trade.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mark Buehrle: Not planning to sign, but not officially retiring. Leaving the door open for possible comeback down the road.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">February 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm kind of out of touch with the Dodgers. Seems to me like they have a ton of SP's and top prospects like Urias that are going to be ready soon. Logic would say you can't or shouldn't keep them all, but when you have a $300 million payroll, I guess things don't make much sense.

Seems to me it would be just like last year when they were trying to pawn Kemp on us. I'm sure they're offering Wood and Ethier for Gausman. I think Cashner is the better fit if SD really want's to make a trade.

It's not like finances have much influence on that franchise. They have smart talent evaluators and will want your best stuff. San Diego is the team digging out of a hole.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jonny Gomes signing with Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan. One year, $2M guarantee plus $1M in incentives. Story coming shortly.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 3, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mark Buehrle: Not planning to sign, but not officially retiring. Leaving the door open for possible comeback down the road.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="
">February 2, 2016</a></blockquote>

Read that "I'm open to continuing my career but I want to skip the rigors of spring training"! Reminiscent of Clemens, at least a couple times, right?

Now that the Mets have signed Cespedes, sounds like De Aza, might be the odd man out there.

Alejandro De Aza: The New York Mets formally announced their three-year deal with Yoenis Cespedes on Wednesday, and the odd man out in the outfield could be De Aza, who signed a $5.75 free agent deal in December. General manager Sandy Alderson told reporters, including ESPN’s Adam Rubin, a spring training deal for De Aza is conceivable, adding “we’re not pursuing any of that at the moment.

Now that the Mets have signed Cespedes, sounds like De Aza, might be the odd man out there.

Would be a good get for the Orioles. Lefty, can play RF, hit well in Boston and San Francisco last year. Career .331 OBP, .756 OPS vs RHP.

Oh, right. Never mind.

Archived