Trumbo an Oriole (For Clevenger Done Deal)

MASNPalmer

You can't advise him on the fact that Caleb Joseph exists and plays the same position he does? And that he's 30 and catchers sometimes get old and tired? And that Dan and Buck can't guarantee he'll play 140 Johnny Bench-like games in 2016?

And Wieters still gets his $16 MM and Baltimore doesn't offer him the QO next year (so his multi-year contract won't be depressed by a draft pick being attached). I don't think the strong-armed approach works.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, let me see if I have this straight. The Padres outbid everyone for Shields services as a free agent, going above the level anyone else wanted to pay him. Then, he has a bad year in the first year of said contract that no one wanted to match in the offseason. Now, they want to trade him while not eating any of the money that no one else but them wanted to pay and get a prospect?

Sounds reasonable.

I think it's more a product of teams trying to acquire Shields on the cheap and San Diego thinking it makes more sense to see what his value looks like mid-season or next off-season, no?

So, let me see if I have this straight. The Padres outbid everyone for Shields services as a free agent, going above the level anyone else wanted to pay him. Then, he has a bad year in the first year of said contract that no one wanted to match in the offseason. Now, they want to trade him while not eating any of the money that no one else but them wanted to pay and get a prospect?

Sounds reasonable.

Inflation. In a couple years Shields will be worth what he makes.

I think it's more a product of teams trying to acquire Shields on the cheap and San Diego thinking it makes more sense to see what his value looks like mid-season or next off-season, no?

Yes, if other teams are asking about Shields and it's not the Padres trying to move him.

Yes, if other teams are asking about Shields and it's not the Padres trying to move him.

I think teams are doing their due diligence. FAs are out there. Trade options are out there. Are the guys we discussed before still available? That sort of thing. It's an easy tidbit to drop to your reporter friend and fills column inches.

I think teams are doing their due diligence. FAs are out there. Trade options are out there. Are the guys we discussed before still available? That sort of thing. It's an easy tidbit to drop to your reporter friend and fills column inches.

A team offered Jeff Samardzija $100 million for some reason...

The info coming out now indicates the Padres are trying hard to move Shields, which makes their demands seem pretty ridiculous if that is the case.

Sounds reasonable.

A.J. Preller has been exposed as a fantasy baseball GM. He's ruining what the team built from years of previous losing. Starting with that silly Matt Kemp move.

A.J. Preller has been exposed as a fantasy baseball GM. He's ruining what the team built from years of previous losing. Starting with that silly Matt Kemp move.

Stottle swears he is a cool guy with a plan. I heard him talk the other day. He seemed level headed. He must have just let it go to his head at first.

The info coming out now indicates the Padres are trying hard to move Shields, which makes their demands seem pretty ridiculous if that is the case.

Well I'm sure that "info" isn't being put out there by anyone with a vested interest in pushing a narrative.

Stottle swears he is a cool guy with a plan. I heard him talk the other day. He seemed level headed. He must have just let it go to his head at first.

He's his own guy. Field rat. Always at the fields. I don't know him personally; I am "baseball friends" with a few of his "baseball friends."

If they fill a need.

If your handing a guy a 15.8 million dollar check to play at a spot you had covered for 640 K then not so much IMO. Yea your not committed beyond this year but that 15.8 million your spending this year does have value and your not getting a maximum return on it. Not great when your resources are spread thin to begin with.

I believe that Matt Wieters is likely to be appreciably better than Caleb Joseph in 2016. That's not a certainty, and you can certainly believe the contrary. Is the difference between them 2 wins (which would cost about $15.8 mm)? Probably not. But it could be.

At this point, I'm sick of the subject. Wieters is ours for 2016, let's root for him to have a great year. And let's hope Caleb continues to play well, too. Neither one is sure to happen.

Archived