% Chances Chris Davis Signs with O's

Winning_Season

Honestly maybe Mark did want to play in his hometown. He just happened to like the idea of an extra 30+ million dollars a whole lot more. This is just simple business, Tex would have been an absolute fool to take that offer given what he got.

Heyman said that Davis wanted the 184 million that the Orioles had offered Teixeira.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kinda been leaning the same way, I just don't see who else ponies up the cash.

Question is do the O's stick with their original offer or do they look at Boras groveling back and drop it. Honestly if they come back I would consider at least taking off one year or dropping the total amount some. Say 6/125 or 7/140. Throw those out there, final offer and move on permanently if they don't bite on either

I'd keep the AAV the same at 6 years. But that would depend on our chances of signing another impact bat. There are a lot of competitors. Also LAA has said the would consider CD as the LH OF option they are looking for. They are just crazy enough to make that mistake.

I took to heart what Buck said in the Q&A. More than 3 years for a SP isn't wise. Paying 5 years to get 3 years of performance isn't something the O's do. I don't think they see any FA SP worth more than a 3 year investment.

I don't really disagree - pitchers are rarely worth what you're paying them for more than 3 years. I get that. But the problem is that enough other teams are willing to pony up 4-8 year deals on pitchers that having this somewhat reasonable stance would all but eliminate us from the FA market for a decent SP. That would be ok if we had any amount of luck developing our own pitchers, but we know how that goes. So where does that leave us? A mediocre rotation, and unwilling to improve it because "it's not worth the cost."

My question is, if you aren't willing to spend what it takes to improve the team, why even bother owning/managing a team in the first place? I mean if you aren't trying to reach and win a WS, what are you even doing? Sure, from a cost-benefit standpoint, chances are the Greinke contract (and all the other good SP contracts this winter) is going to look incredibly stupid in 3 years. But if they win the WS once while they have him, I guarantee they will all feel it was worth it. My two cents.

I don't really disagree - pitchers are rarely worth what you're paying them for more than 3 years. I get that. But the problem is that enough other teams are willing to pony up 4-8 year deals on pitchers that having this somewhat reasonable stance would all but eliminate us from the FA market for a decent SP. That would be ok if we had any amount of luck developing our own pitchers, but we know how that goes. So where does that leave us? A mediocre rotation, and unwilling to improve it because "it's not worth the cost."

My question is, if you aren't willing to spend what it takes to improve the team, why even bother owning/managing a team in the first place? I mean if you aren't trying to reach and win a WS, what are you even doing? Sure, from a cost-benefit standpoint, chances are the Greinke contract (and all the other good SP contracts this winter) is going to look incredibly stupid in 3 years. But if they win the WS once while they have him, I guarantee they will all feel it was worth it. My two cents.

Our rotation is no more mediocre than KC's who BTW won the WS last year. Our bullpen looks to be almost as good. We don't need no stinkin' 30M FA SP.

I'm telling you, Kazmir. No need to give up a pick for him and he's at worst a small step down from Chen. Not that old, all things considered. If we can do 4/60 for Kazmir I would say pull the trigger.

Why would you rather do Kazmir at 4/60 rather than Chen at 5/80? I realize that it's an additional year and additional $, but it's only $1M more AAV. I'd much rather have Chen at $1M AAV more than Kazmir.

The more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued by the idea of just rolling with Pedro Alvarez, maybe Will Venable in the outfield, some bargain starting pitcher, and then try to put the rest of the Davis money into an extension for Manny Machado.

Also, I'm not sure anyone other than Baltimore is going to pony up the cash for Davis. I think Baltimore was right to do it for sentimental reasons, but for the rest of the league, there's just too much risk involved in signing a first baseman who strikes out over 200 times per year to that much money. I think Boras has miscalculated, but we'll see.

Chris Davis and Scott Boras will not be coming back to the Orioles. I'm not sure who the team will be that eventually signs him but there will be someone. Houston is my best guess right now.
You aren't paying attention. Houston's GM the first day of the Winter Meetings, was adamant that they are sticking to their long term plan and don't expect them to win the FA market. So far they have born that out. They have shored up their pen, their stated objective. They aren't going out of that plan to offer CD the 8/200 M he wants. You aren't sure who the team will be because they don't exist. Except in Boras smoke and mirrors, which you seem to have swallowed.

You aren't paying attention. Houston's GM the first day of the Winter Meetings, was adamant that they are sticking to their long term plan and don't expect them to win the FA market. So far they have born that out. They have shored up their pen, their stated objective. They aren't going out of that plan to offer CD the 8/200 M he wants. You aren't sure who the team will be because they don't exist. Except in Boras smoke and mirrors, which you seem to have swallowed.

I'm with you about Houston, Gordo. Cards aren't taking the bait, either. Question is as Davis' value drops, who steps forward? Even more relevant, it's not who signs Davis but when does he get signed? His value is falling now, not rising. At some point Boras is going to realize that he's gotta get this car off the lot.

Well if CD can get some sucker to pay him that, then best of luck to him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/STLCards?src=hash">#STLCards</a> have not changed stance and still have no interest in pursuing 1B Chris Davis. Will stick with Adams and Moss at 1B</p>— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) <a href="

">December 12, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived