If Wieters starts hot in 2016, but the team does not...

FanSince88

Say it's the end of May 2016. Wieters is batting .300+ with 12 HR and continuing to gun down would-be base stealers. But the team is 5 games under .500 and one of the starting pitchers is out for a couple months with an injury.

a) Can Wieters be traded since he accepted the QO (I'm 80% sure he can just please refresh my memory, someone)?

b) Would you deal him for prospects?

c) Hell yes, I would deal him, because he's either going to cool off the rest of the season and not be worth a second-straight QO, OR he'll continue his trajectory which would put him out of a reasonable price range anyway.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes he can be traded. Yes I would trade him. No, PA/DD would probably not rebuild. At least not a full rebuild, which is the only kind that works.

It's not really a rebuild to trade Wieters when you have a fully capable replacement like Caleb waiting in the wings. No matter what happens in 2016, it's doubtful that Wieters comes back to the O's beyond that. It would have maybe the same "impact" that trading Hunter did at last year's trade deadline. It's one thing if the team is playing well and staying healthy, but if they're struggling by June 1 I don't see what you really lose by cashing in on Wieters and promoting Caleb.

Why trade him? We have been waiting for him to be healthy are playing like that. Why not try to get him under a new contract??

Sure we can just give Boras a deadline, that seems to work ? The whole reason Matt took the QO was so he could get paid next year on the the FA market, he is not gonna be reasonable and sign, he is gonna squeeze every last drop out he can like CD.

In all seriousness, I get what your saying but if the O's can get back prospects that are better than the value of the Comp pick they would get if they offer....then they should absolutely deal him to the highest bidder.

Yeah right, like Boras would allow that before the season is over.

Well I would hope the Orioles would do something to fix their issues not trade away one of their best performing players at the moment.

You wouldn't even get much for him... Maybe a backend of the rotation starter and a low level prospect at best.

The love for Caleb is just annoying. We have one of the best catchers in MLB that should be coming back healthier this season and some people still want Caleb playing.

Well I would hope the Orioles would do something to fix their issues not trade away one of their best performing players at the moment.

You wouldn't even get much for him... Maybe a backend of the rotation starter and a low level prospect at best.

The love for Caleb is just annoying. We have one of the best catchers in MLB that should be coming back healthier this season and some people still want Caleb playing.

If he were playing pretty well you might get a half decent prospect.

If not then you just give him the QO and take the pick. Either way this season is his swan song. If he blows up he will get paid as a FA. If he sucks we got a guy in CJ so need need for him then.

Allow?

Ultimately it isn't his decision to make.

While I don't think it is likely that Wieters would sign an extension I do think it was his, and not Boras' decision to take the QO.

Honest question: has Boras ever let a client sign an in-season extension that was even somewhat reasonable? It's one thing to let a client sign a lucrative QO, it's another to let a client playing well in his walk year extend long before the season ends.

Depending on how Matt does in ST, he could swap between catching and DH with Caleb. If he's old MW, than we can put him at catcher full time, but if he looks uncomfortable like he did last year, then we do what I stated above

Honest question: has Boras ever let a client sign an in-season extension that was even somewhat reasonable? It's one thing to let a client sign a lucrative QO, it's another to let a client playing well in his walk year extend long before the season ends.

Once again "let"? He can't stop them.

Jered Weaver signed a 5/85 deal in August of 2011.

Allow?

Ultimately it isn't his decision to make.

While I don't think it is likely that Wieters would sign an extension I do think it was his, and not Boras' decision to take the QO.

Honestly I think in this instance Boras did what was right for his client. It was likely a mutual agreement.

I have to believe that if Matt just flat out was not willing to listen to Scott's counsel, he would ultimately be getting a new agent, why keep an agent who has a different agenda than you do. Matt knows what Scott is about, there is a reason he hired him, to get paid.

Once again "let"? He can't stop them.

Jered Weaver signed a 5/85 deal in August of 2011.

Its possible, yes a lot of things are possible but COC you would have to admit that the odds of Matt signing an extension if he blows up the first half of this year are certainly less than if he had say anyone as an agent not named Scott Boras.

Archived