Offseason Praise for the FO

FanSince88

The thing that scares me about Trumbo is that no other team tried to trade for him.Many teams need a power hitter but no one else seemed to want him.

I'm not sure how you know that no other team tried to trade for Trumbo. In any case, the trade was made early in the off-season, and we gave up Clevenger, who was unlikely to be on the team. It is really hard to find fault with this trade, IMO. Even if both Trumbo and Riefenhauser totally tank, we weren't likely to go with three catchers on our 25-man roster anyway. No risk here, with the obvious upside of a good season out of Trumbo.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Offering Wieters was good?? Are you insane? I told all my friends and family he would accept. Why? Because he's insanely overrated and coming off an injury.

That was a calculated gamble DD took and lost. That is not a victory.

Did your friends and family tell you to shut up and change the subject?

Right-hander Trevor Cahill had an opportunity to sign with the Pirates or Orioles as a starting pitcher, Cafardo writes. However, he opted to stay with the Cubs where he will be used in a relief role. Cahill’s clear preference was to start again, but he also didn’t want to leave Chicago. Cahill gave the Cubs 17 brilliant innings of relief down the stretch, yielding just four runs and recording an outstanding 22-to-5 K/BB ratio to go along with a ground-ball rate of 61.8 percent. He also pitched 5 1/3 innings in the postseason, allowing two runs on seven hits and no walks with eight strikeouts (3.38 ERA).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I am bitterly disappointed that the organization is unwilling to offer anyone besides Davis 100 mil plus. They can still have a successful offseason without doing that, but leaking that information to the press was a horrible blunder, and even if it hadn't been leaked it's still a stupid policy. Davis is probably the least valuable of any of the $100mil+ FAs out there, it is completely irrational to be biased in favor of him. If they fail to do anything else notworthy, it will definitely go down as their biggest mistake this offseason.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. But all we have to go on is an unnamed league source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the purpose of a big offer to Davis was to sign him quickly, it failed. Otherwise, , either we overbid and will pay him more than we could have if we'd started lower, or someone will beat our offer. Mainly I just wish we were more interested in the other top hitters, some of whom are likely to be better than Davis in the long run.
The problem with the Davis offer is PA. Left to his own devises I am confident DD would have never bid that high or wasted as much time. If he had the same funds to work with we would have signed one of Upton, Cespedes, or Gordon, by now.

I'm not sure how you know that no other team tried to trade for Trumbo. In any case, the trade was made early in the off-season, and we gave up Clevenger, who was unlikely to be on the team. It is really hard to find fault with this trade, IMO. Even if both Trumbo and Riefenhauser totally tank, we weren't likely to go with three catchers on our 25-man roster anyway. No risk here, with the obvious upside of a good season out of Trumbo.

I am for the trade.Just that we received two guys for Clevenger. Seems like a really good trade.

I'm not ready to praise the FO, but the off season isn't going too badly. I like the Trumbo trade and the Kim signing. The budget appears to be elastic according to PA's whims, so it may be the Wieters QO won't have a negative impact. In that case having Wieters back is a plus IMO. If we sign CD, and I think we will, at a somewhat lesser contract, and sign Kazmir I'd give them an A.

I would give the offseason a big, fat C -- so far. I heard someone on the radio giving the positive take. It was surprisingly convincing. Going into the offseason, if you had told me we would keep Wieters and O'Day on the team (pitching and defense)... If you had told me we would trade a no-name backup catcher for Mark Trumbo... and made at $154 million offer to Davis... Well, I would have been pleasantly surprised by ALL of those things.

On the other hand, if you had told me we wouldn't be replacing Chen in the rotation (and ADDING more starting pitching, which we desperately need)... If you had told me we wouldn't land Davis, or replace our gaping holes in left/right... I would NOT have been pleased. Now, maybe Kim winds up being the "Chen" of the outfield for us this year. But we're still perilously thin in the corner outfield spots. And our rotation could turn out to be horrid - not just mediocre. If that's the case, everything else will be for naught.

So... I'm back with my C-grade for the offseason so far.

If they land Gallardo, Chen, Leake, or Buehrle, I will up that to a B-. If they land two of them, I'll up that to an B+. And if they also add a Fowler or a Span... it would go to an A for me.

Fact is, there are a ton of great free agents left out there - and many of them are not top-tier guys, but could impact our team right away for the better.

I'm skeptical but confident that DD will pull off at least two more solid moves, and some minor stuff none of us are thinking about... and we'll field a competitive team this year.

Offering Wieters was good?? Are you insane? I told all my friends and family he would accept. Why? Because he's insanely overrated and coming off an injury.

That was a calculated gamble DD took and lost. That is not a victory.

Did your friends and family tell you to shut up and change the subject?

My friends and family told me to shut up, but it had nothing to do with the Orioles and their off-season exploits.

Archived