Game: Where Would You Expand MLB?

Spy Fox

That would be too close to Mets territory, who can ill afford a threat to their attendance and/or their fan base.

Demolish the Polo Grounds apartment buildings, give all of the current residents free season tickets for their troubles, and build Polo Grounds V.

If they'd make it 250 down the lines and 480 to center with an Eddie Grant memorial in play I'd eminent domain the entire borough and built it wherever.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Changing the flags themselves would be tough and 50 is such a nice round number. Going from 48 (pictured) to 50 was a bit simpler for that reason.

On the design front, it likely wouldn't be too tough. The 48 states was actually a little simpler design wise in that it was 6 rows of 8 stars. The current flag is 5 rows of 6 stars with 4 rows of 5 stars in between. You could make it something like 6-5-6-6-5-6-6-5-6 (36+15=51) and have it look pretty clean.

San Juan, Puerto Rico

And

Mexico City, Mexico

All of the immediate economics aside, I think expanding MLB to include these two cities would have some really cool ripple effects for the league.

Hell, a team in Seoul or Tokyo would be cool too, but that's a lot of travel time.

San Juan is actually a plausible location, easier than Mexico City or Havanna anyway, because Puerto Rico is still a US Territory. Congress however will need to grant bankruptcy to the island first, which is something the Treasury is pushing for. Frankly, I think Puerto Rico should be the 51st state, but it would be such a chore to change all the flags ...

Changing the flags themselves would be tough and 50 is such a nice round number. Going from 48 (pictured) to 50 was a bit simpler for that reason.

On the design front, it likely wouldn't be too tough. The 48 states was actually a little simpler design wise in that it was 6 rows of 8 stars. The current flag is 5 rows of 6 stars with 4 rows of 5 stars in between. You could make it something like 6-5-6-6-5-6-6-5-6 (36+15=51) and have it look pretty clean.

Reasonable expectations for mankind:) Penicillin for strep throat, Polio and Measles vaccines, successful open-heart surgery, sending people to the moon.

It will never happen:) 51 states for the United States of America. Too much of a hardship for changing all of the current flags.

I don't pretend to have an understanding of the politics involved, but I believe that those in favor of statehood in Puerto Rico are actually a minority. There is also a faction that pushes for independence, as I understand it. I think the majority there favor keeping things as they are.

Every now and then some people living in Upper Michigan push to secede from Michigan and attempt to become a separate state.

I think the most likely 51st state is the District of Columbia. A lot of DC residents and government officials favor it. They even put the slogan "Taxation Without Representation" on their license plates.

Archived