Orioles acquired RHP Odrisamer Despaigne

TeamSchoop6

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But this dude is not good. He's a junkballer who can't miss bats. Fine if you have him stashed in Norfolk and need a spot start or two, horrible if you're expecting him to be a significant contributor like Dan is.

It's much easier to be bitter and disappointed if you paint every bit piece and depth signing as an expected all star. You probably also want to post an emoticon-laden, dripping with sarcasm "print the playoff tickets!"

Like this trade alot. Picking up a swingman / 5th starter candidate with 3 options for a minor leaguer nobody on this board has even heard of (which says alot about how much of a non-prospect he is) is a great move.

However, I see this as a really bad sign that we're not going to add a legitimate starter. I know he's optionable and doesn't take up a 25 man roster spot, but it's more fuel for the fire that we're considering just going with internal options. Particularly since we're trading with the Padres, which makes me feel like we have talked with them about Cashner but they decided a deal wasn't going to be reached so they settled for Despaigne. So it's hard to be excited right now.

There's really no reason to dislike this trade at all unless you perceive it as a surrogate for your preferred scenario.

To a certain type of fan all signings that aren't above-average starters at below-average prices are a clear indication the franchise has abandoned all hope and the descent into the abyss is well underway.

Like this trade alot. Picking up a swingman / 5th starter candidate with 3 options for a minor leaguer nobody on this board has even heard of (which says alot about how much of a non-prospect he is) is a great move.

However, I see this as a really bad sign that we're not going to add a legitimate starter. I know he's optionable and doesn't take up a 25 man roster spot, but it's more fuel for the fire that we're considering just going with internal options. Particularly since we're trading with the Padres, which makes me feel like we have talked with them about Cashner but they decided a deal wasn't going to be reached so they settled for Despaigne. So it's hard to be excited right now.

Sounds like it is addition protection against failing to sign or trade for anyone else to me.

I'd prefer to print out actual playoff tickets. But then again I'm not insensitive and actually show remorse towards people who, such as myself, haven't seen the Orioles win a World Series in their lifetime.

I'm just insensitive to people who think that ludicrous exaggeration is the best way to get to the playoffs. Or, at least the best way to deal with the unfortunate reality that the Orioles can't sign great players at all the positions.

I like this trade too. However the only minor league game I've been to I saw Cosme start and go 6 IP's last summer. He was 2.3 years younger than the average player and looked like he had some potential. But you make this trade all day.

I like the idea that we're taking Despaigne and his GB% out of the spacious OF's of the NL West. There's just so much real estate for GB's to turn into XBH. So with a small OF and a great infield defense that should help him. But on the flip side that doesn't help with his homers he allows.

I feel like DD is doing the same thing with the 5th spot in the rotation as he is doing with the OF spots. Just stacking up as many options as possible. Right now I'd handicap it as Worley, Despaigne, Wilson, Wright. Not too much remaining on the market. From mlbtr

Chad Billingsley (31)

Mark Buehrle (37)

Yovani Gallardo (30)

Jeremy Guthrie (37)

Aaron Harang (38)

Josh Johnson (32)

Mat Latos (28)

Cliff Lee (37)

Tim Lincecum (32)

Kyle Lohse (37)

Cory Luebke (31)

Justin Masterson (31)

Mike Minor (28)

Alfredo Simon (35)

Eric Stults (36)

Randy Wolf (39)

Jerome Williams (34)

Sounds like it is addition protection against failing to sign or trade for anyone else to me.

Unlike last season we have mlb ready depth for the rotation in Worley, Despaigne, Wilson and Wright. Last year Norris was struggling, and the depth was so thin, that we had to trot out Tillman and Gonzo when they were injured. This year it shouldn't be a death blow if someone has to go on the 15 day and miss 3-4 starts. And that's not counting what we could get from Bundy. Or "prospects" like Chris Jones, Hess, Miranda, Harvey :pray:. It would be really nice if we added Latos and Pedro Alvarez but if we don't we have plenty of options. Hopefully this year someone actually wins the job(s).

I like this trade too. However the only minor league game I've been to I saw Cosme start and go 6 IP's last summer. He was 2.3 years younger than the average player and looked like he had some potential. But you make this trade all day.

I like the idea that we're taking Despaigne and his GB% out of the spacious OF's of the NL West. There's just so much real estate for GB's to turn into XBH. So with a small OF and a great infield defense that should help him. But on the flip side that doesn't help with his homers he allows.

I feel like DD is doing the same thing with the 5th spot in the rotation as he is doing with the OF spots. Just stacking up as many options as possible. Right now I'd handicap it as Worley, Despaigne, Wilson, Wright. Not too much remaining on the market. From mlbtr

Chad Billingsley (31)

Mark Buehrle (37)

Yovani Gallardo (30)

Jeremy Guthrie (37)

Aaron Harang (38)

Josh Johnson (32)

Mat Latos (28)

Cliff Lee (37)

Tim Lincecum (32)

Kyle Lohse (37)

Cory Luebke (31)

Justin Masterson (31)

Mike Minor (28)

Alfredo Simon (35)

Eric Stults (36)

Randy Wolf (39)

Jerome Williams (34)

There are quite a few names I wouldn't mind giving a shot to on the right deal. Though for most, that's a minor league deal.

You must've missed the part where I said depth signings are fine. I said it like 4 times.

1. The offseason started very well and Dan thought the best bookend was Efren Navarro and Despaigne, two guys who should not touch the 25 man roster other than in the event of injury or September call ups. This frustrates me. That =\= I wanted them to sign Price, Davis, Upton, AND Cespedes (as an aside, good luck finding someone that wouldn't sign up for that cost not considered).

2. I'm sick of Duquette presenting depth signings as impact moves that are going to push us over the top. They're AAAA players. MLB bench players at best. Stop treating your fanbase like idiots; we are not.

3. I strongly dislike just about everything about how he is running this team.

Don't we have the most wins in the AL since DD took over? I'm shocked that PA stepped in and somehow O'day and Chris Davis are on this team. Be happy about that. Remember these are the types of moves where we got Gonzo and Brach.

You must've missed the part where I said depth signings are fine. I said it like 4 times.

1. The offseason started very well and Dan thought the best bookend was Efren Navarro and Despaigne, two guys who should not touch the 25 man roster other than in the event of injury or September call ups. This frustrates me. That =\= I wanted them to sign Price, Davis, Upton, AND Cespedes (as an aside, good luck finding someone that wouldn't sign up for that cost not considered).

2. I'm sick of Duquette presenting depth signings as impact moves that are going to push us over the top. They're AAAA players. MLB bench players at best. Stop treating your fanbase like idiots; we are not.

3. I strongly dislike just about everything about how he is running this team.

I'm more than sick of you taking depth signings and assigning them over-the-top importance because of the GM's press conference/release where he says stuff like this guy might be pretty good for us. If you're expecting Duquette to say things like "we just traded a potential nobody in Cosme for a guy who'll be lucky to sniff Baltimore's rotation unless we have three major injuries" you're not living in reality. Press conferences aren't fair and balanced analyses of acquisitions, they're explanations of how this could work out.

I understand you're upset. But you were upset about this move long before it happened, as you'll be upset about all the rest of the moves this year.

Archived