MLB Spring Injuries and Concerns.

weams

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is pretty slow.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jarrod Parker, facing hitters for the first time this spring, just came off the mound yelling in pain after throwing a pitch. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a></p>— Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara) <a href="

">March 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jarrod Parker, facing hitters for the first time this spring, just came off the mound yelling in pain after throwing a pitch. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a></p>? Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara) <a href="

Poor guy. Lots of talent. Can't stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.1M signing bonus (#9 pick overall)

1,845,000 in salary not counting this season.

If he was smart with his money he'll be just fine.

1.8 million, pay his agent a % and his taxes.

How long do you think 1 million would actually last?

Considering he is only 27.

I forgot about his 2.1 signing bonus, I was only thinking about his 1.8 in earnings.

1.8 million, pay his agent a % and his taxes.

How long do you think 1 million would actually last?

Considering he is only 27.

I forgot about his 2.1 signing bonus, I was only thinking about his 1.8 in earnings.

Like I said, if he's smart with his money he'll be just fine.

He certainly has a leg up on 99% of the population.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Angels send Jered Weaver for MRI exam on*neck <a href="https://t.co/pNkvAxQfhK">https://t.co/pNkvAxQfhK</a></p>? HardballTalk (@HardballTalk) <a href="

His fastball sat 80 mph yesterday.

So if Weaver is down (and provided he's ineffective at 80 mph anyway), I believe that mean's they're down three starting pitchers including C.J. Wilson. There's no way they're trading Hector Santiago now.

The Angels are staring at last place in the division. If that happens I wonder if Mike Scoscia (unfairly) loses his job. Longest tenured manager in baseball right?

Like I said, if he's smart with his money he'll be just fine.

He certainly has a leg up on 99% of the population.

Very true. Still pretty rotten luck to put up a 3.6 fWAR season and only make $4 million in his career, you gotta feel bad for the guy. Many players have gotten paid alot more for alot less. It's not like he's a talented guy that flamed out before making the majors and providing any value to the team. He put up a great year that he was never really compensated for, which is fine when everybody effectively gets paid for their past performance down the road, but he never got there. That kind of thing has got to eat you up inside. A real victim of the pre-arb team control system.

Very true. Still pretty rotten luck to put up a 3.6 fWAR season and only make $4 million in his career, you gotta feel bad for the guy. Many players have gotten paid alot more for alot less. It's not like he's a talented guy that flamed out before making the majors and providing any value to the team. He put up a great year that he was never really compensated for, which is fine when everybody effectively gets paid for their past performance down the road, but he never got there. That kind of thing has got to eat you up inside. A real victim of the pre-arb team control system.

It is a sad story on the "He made the big leagues" scale. Is it any worse than someone like Loewen?

It is a sad story on the "He made the big leagues" scale. Is it any worse than someone like Loewen?

Yeah, I think it is worse, because Parker actually put up one great season in the big leagues (and one solid one). In an ideal theoretical world, from a fairness standpoint, players would be compensated based on the value they actually produce. Instead they get paid based on their past performance, which is then used to project their future performance, and it ends up evening out over time. Players are underpaid in their early careers and overpaid in their late careers (I know you're fully aware of this, just using it as part of my point).

If Parker had his 3.6 fWAR breakout season as a platform year for arbitration, he may have doubled his career earnings in salary for the next season alone. He'd at least come closer to some level of fair compensation for his value. He got unlucky that he had two full, productive seasons and then broke down before he even got to arbitration service time, so broken to the point that he won't even get a decent payday on a one-year from a team on the promise that he could return to his previous form (how much money has Brandon Morrow made like this?).

Parker's a very rare case where he had some good seasons and won't even get MLB-level money from teams speculating on him recapturing his form. He has no potential to capture the mid or late-career "overpay" that balances out the value he provided on the early end of his career. There's a special kind of injustice in that. I don't feel bad for him and his $4 million compared to the general population by any means, but he definitely got chewed up and spit out by cogs of the MLB money machine in an irregular and very unfair way.

Yeah, I think it is worse, because Parker actually put up one great season in the big leagues (and one solid one). In an ideal theoretical world, from a fairness standpoint, players would be compensated based on the value they actually produce. Instead they get paid based on their past performance, which is then used to project their future performance, and it ends up evening out over time. Players are underpaid in their early careers and overpaid in their late careers (I know you're fully aware of this, just using it as part of my point).

If Parker had his 3.6 fWAR breakout season as a platform year for arbitration, he may have doubled his career earnings in salary for the next season alone. He'd at least come closer to some level of fair compensation for his value. He got unlucky that he had two full, productive seasons and then broke down before he even got to arbitration service time, so broken to the point that he won't even get a decent payday on a one-year from a team on the promise that he could return to his previous form (how much money has Brandon Morrow made like this?).

Parker's a very rare case where he had some good seasons and won't even get MLB-level money from teams speculating on him recapturing his form. He has no potential to capture the mid or late-career "overpay" that balances out the value he provided on the early end of his career. There's a special kind of injustice in that. I don't feel bad for him and his $4 million compared to the general population by any means, but he definitely got chewed up and spit out by cogs of the MLB money machine in an irregular and very unfair way.

How is that not being compensated based on past performance?

He has a big year, the next year he makes more money.

Looks like you just want to expedite the process for the player.

It is unfair that only 700 guys at a time are good enough and healthy enough to get paid the union wages. But that is how it goes. I was watching a lottery commercial that talked about winning a 1000 dollars every day. MLB minimum is 150% of that.

Archived