Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

I just hope we didn't have to guarantee Pedro playing time in the field. Trumbo isn't a great OF but he isn't the second coming of Mark Reynolds defensively. And Rickard/Riemold will play there v LHP. Think of the production from DH with a Pedro/Trumbo platoon. Might see 40+ from that position.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not forget he hit over 35 HR and 100 RBI in 2013. In this line up, he could easily do that again. This could be another late spring signing that turns into a steal.

But beware, strikeouts could mount up with this group. Could be all or nothing games for us.

vs. RHP: Kim LF, Trumbo RF, Alvarez DH

vs. LHP: Reimold LF, Rickard RF, Trumbo DH

There's no doubt that this configuration is better than the alternative, wherein Reimold/Urrutia/Paredes are playing full time. If Kim can hit LHP, he takes some playing time away from Rickard.

Our OF defense is going to be bad vs. RHP, no way around it. But it will be fine vs. LHP, which is about 1/4 of the games. And I don't think Trumbo is going to be as bad in the OF as everybody makes him out to be.

Trumbo is lambasted as a horrendous outfielder, but his defensive numbers are merely "bad" rather than unplayable. He's averaged out to -8.5 UZR/150 in the OF in over 2000 innings in his career, and is slightly better by DRS. He's been better in LF than RF, but his arm profiles better in RF. He has a bad reputation because he's a big-bodied 1B, but he actually has performed more athletically than his body type suggests, as all the scouting reports have indicated.

Some numbers for reference:

UZR/150 in RF (min 1000 innings), 2010-2015

Jose Tabata: -20.0

Michael Morse: -19.9

Carlos Quentin: -18.9

Delmon Young (832 innings): -16.3

Matt Kemp: -15.5

Domonic Brown: -13.1

Avisail Garcia: -12.9

Mark Trumbo: -11.4 (-5.1 in LF)

Jorge Soler: -10.7

Carlos Beltran: -9.0

Ryan Braun: -7.6

TLDR: Trumbo will be bad in the OF, but he's more in the class of "bad but tolerable." Players typically considered really bad RF have been much worse than Trumbo. He won't be bad enough in RF that he'll give back the HUGE addition that Alvarez makes with the bat vs. RHP.

Let's not forget he hit over 35 HR and 100 RBI in 2013. In this line up, he could easily do that again. This could be another late spring signing that turns into a steal.

But beware, strikeouts could mount up with this group. Could be all or nothing games for us.

Which Oriole players were the Reds asking for Jay Bruce? I hope our rule five outfielder now makes the team.

Which Oriole players were the Reds asking for Jay Bruce? I hope our rule five outfielder now makes the team.

Reds were asking for top prospects, we weren't willing to give up any of that talent for Bruce. We had already allocated funds for a free agent, which made Alvarez easier.

Ok thanks for the info. Yeah' date=' I was not going to be happy if the Orioles gave up some good players for Jay Bruce. The Orioles now get to keep their players and they don't lose their number 27 pick. I think that is correct.[/quote']

And will field the ultimate slowpitch softball team! Just need to resurrect the careers of Dave Kingman, Gorman Thomas and Rob Deer.

I don't think there's any question that the O's will lead the league in SO's. They'll at least be close to the top in homers. But their offense's success will ride with how high their OBP will be. A decent OBP should score a lot of runs.

That's a nice price for Alvarez but not amazing - since he's strictly an AL player as a starter and doesn't do a good job of getting on base.

I believe nothing until he is on the field.

I almost wonder if they would still trade for Bruce given Kim's performance.

Our defense is going to be epic, not in a good way.

BUT, something needed to be done so glad it was.

I'll sit back and read what others think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt the team is overreacting to Kim not Getting a hit in a few games.

Barring any injuries or additional signings, this move probably bumps a guy like Paul Janish from the roster now that Reimold joins Joseph, Flaherty and Rickard on the bench.

Janish Never had a shot to make this roster. Besides, he is on a minor league deal anyway.

I just hope we didn't have to guarantee Pedro playing time in the field. Trumbo isn't a great OF but he isn't the second coming of Mark Reynolds defensively. And Rickard/Riemold will play there v LHP. Think of the production from DH with a Pedro/Trumbo platoon. Might see 40+ from that position.

I agree you could get 40+ HR out of the DH position this year. And both Trumbo and Kim are getting bashed a little too much.

In other news, say goodbye to Jimmy Paredes.

Archived