Naming rights.

weams

I'm glad that we'll never do that anytime soon. I understand why corporate names exist but names like OPACY, Fenway, Wrigley, etc roll off the tongue better. I don't hate the Nats but I love when we're better then them so my extended family who ribs me for being an O's fan still can eat some humble pie. I think some Nats fans do hate the O's fwiw just as some of us hate the Nats. I don't begrudge those from the DC metro area who switched, I just want them to understand why I'll always be an Orioles fan. My love of baseball was formed when the Nats were still in Montreal. It's not personal, it's how I root for teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad that we'll never do that anytime soon. I understand why corporate names exist but names like OPACY, Fenway, Wrigley, etc roll off the tongue better. I don't hate the Nats but I love when we're better then them so my extended family who ribs me for being an O's fan still can eat some humble pie. I think some Nats fans do hate the O's fwiw just as some of us hate the Nats. I don't begrudge those from the DC metro area who switched, I just want them to understand why I'll always be an Orioles fan. My love of baseball was formed when the Nats were still in Montreal. It's not personal, it's how I root for teams.

Pretty calm take. I'm not looking forward to the gloating when they do win something. Ever.

Fenway and Wrigley are both corporate names, although there are arguments against that for each.

Fenway and Wrigley are both corporate names.

I thought Fenway was the neighborhood in Boston and Wrigley while corporate came from the Wrigleys whom owned the Cubs at the time. A bit different than the highest corporate bidder getting it. I don't think less of a stadium for it but I prefer names have a connection to the area they're played in.

Pretty calm take. I'm not looking forward to the gloating when they do win something. Ever.

Yeah I'm not either. I'll say this though. Going to a game at OPACY is a great experience win or lose. Nats Park isn't terrible but it's nothing special either.

I thought Fenway was the neighborhood in Boston and Wrigley while corporate came from the Wrigleys whom owned the Cubs at the time. A bit different than the highest corporate bidder getting it. I don't think less of a stadium for it but I prefer names have a connection to the area they're played in.

Fenway is the neighborhood, but the owner also had Fenway Realty Company.

I believe that William Wrigley, Jr. named the park after himself more so than his chewing gum company ...... similar to Shea Stadium being named after after William Shea.

Good point overall, though.

Yes. At least with our stadium name there is no possible corporate connection.

Yeah, it seems Nats fans hate us more than we hate them. I've seen a lot of vitriol and venom spit towards us by Nats fans and I don't really get it. I'm not really fan of the Nats, but I don't hate them or anything. The

Blue Jays perhaps, but not the Nats. :P

Yeah, it seems Nats fans hate us more than we hate them. I've seen a lot of vitriol and venom spit towards us by Nats fans and I don't really get it. I'm not really fan of the Nats, but I don't hate them or anything. The

Blue Jays perhaps, but not the Nats. :P

I wear my Oriole cap to some Nat games and most fans don't hate the Orioles. Many of them are fans or used to be fans.They don't like Petey.Not the dog from the Little Rascals.

I wear my Oriole cap to some Nat games and most fans don't hate the Orioles. Many of them are fans or used to be fans.They don't like Petey.Not the dog from the Little Rascals.

It's different down here, where people are defensive about the Nats and the Mets, with Nats fans being especially nasty towards the Orioles fans. The O's fans down here are either diehards or people who like both the Nats and the O's. It's weird

I get it because it brings money to the team, but in cases with Camden, Fenway, etc. I don't think that they should do it. Frederick is a good example. When I lived there and dad worked there, it was always Harry Grove Stadium. Now its Neymo field at Harry Grove Stadium, but people still call it Harry Grove Stadium. Sometimes for companies it's just throwing money away.

Archived