Gausman Starting Season on DL? And the Impact to the Opening Day Roster

Beef Supreme

Kevin Gausman said that he expects to rejoin the club for the first or second week of the regular season. Starting on the DL has to help the chances of certain players making the trip north for Opening Day. Possibly Worley can both breath a little easier now? At least for a week or two. By then, with rosters set, it may be easier for the Orioles to keep him.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did Roch tweet out that the O's don't need a 5th starter until the 9th game of the season?

I only see an off day on April 5th and then 12 consecutive games after that. Seems to me we'll have a need for a 5th starter by that first Sunday (game 6).

Ugh. I don't think Gausman to the DL would affect Worley. The O's don't have to pay him his full salary if they cut him pre-season. If they don't intend to keep him long term, it makes no sense to pay his $2m for 1 or 2 starts in April. So, either he is already on the team or gets cut.

Why did Roch tweet out that the O's don't need a 5th starter until the 9th game of the season?

I only see an off day on April 5th and then 12 consecutive games after that. Seems to me we'll have a need for a 5th starter by that first Sunday (game 6).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Correction re: Gausman, the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> would need a fifth starter on April 10, their sixth game of the season.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Might this also increase the chances of Rickard? Reimold? Even Paredes? I know they aren't pitchers, but the front office does a pretty good juggling act with the roster. It could effectively delay the decision on one of these three.

Hard for me to see where Paredes fits with both Alvarez and Trumbo on team.

I think they will keep Roe until they have to make a move, unless they are content to let him go. They only need a 5th starter twice until April 23, that could buy Gausman almost 3 weeks to get ready. Despaigne if no Roe.

Might this also increase the chances of Rickard? Reimold? Even Paredes? I know they aren't pitchers, but the front office does a pretty good juggling act with the roster. It could effectively delay the decision on one of these three.

It doesn't affect Rickard. He's a lock for the roster either way. I think Paredes will start on the DL.

More likely it affects the bullpen. Assuming Gausman starts the year on the DL, I think the O's will carry an 8th reliever for the first five games, then add a starter for game #6.

It doesn't affect Rickard. He's a lock for the roster either way. I think Paredes will start on the DL.

More likely it affects the bullpen. Assuming Gausman starts the year on the DL, I think the O's will carry an 8th reliever for the first five games, then add a starter for game #6.

They could have Worley in pen and if he isn't used start him in the 6th game. Knowing the Orioles I think they keep Roe. If they have to use Worley then let Roe go for a starter from Norfolk.

This isn't a big deal if Gausman only missed a couple of starts, just hope it isn't a long term issue.

Some of the years the Orioles had some really bad teams they had decent April's. I have always thought rotation issues show up more in the summer months not at the start. Mediocre pitchers can win some games early on.

Goes without saying Gausman will be key this year but not time to panic. Tillman and him will take us as far as we can go.

Archived