Gausman Starting Season on DL? And the Impact to the Opening Day Roster

Beef Supreme

Its going to take time for Gausman to build his pitch count back up. He probably has to get from a first time out of 25 pitches to 75 before he comes off the DL. That could be passed April 10th.

I look for Wilson to be optioned prior to April 1st so he can spend 10 days in the minors before being recalled for April 10th start if Gausman is not ready yet. Wilson has outpiched Worley this spring and he pitched well enough last year to be in line for a promotion to the majors.

I agree with Paul that the O's go with 8 relievers until the 10th. Who the 7th and 8th relievers are is up in the air at the moment. It could be any of Worley, Roe, Wright, Drake, and/or Despaigne.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Won't be long before they announce Gallardo to the DL, and then to season ending shoulder surgery

Wow a rotation with Worley and Wright/Wilson

isn't that special

Didn't you see, Gallardo pitched 4 innings with 2 runs allowed against Single-A Charlotte? He is good to go!

Its going to take time for Gausman to build his pitch count back up. He probably has to get from a first time out of 25 pitches to 75 before he comes off the DL. That could be passed April 10th.

I look for Wilson to be optioned prior to April 1st so he can spend 10 days in the minors before being recalled for April 10th start if Gausman is not ready yet. Wilson has outpiched Worley this spring and he pitched well enough last year to be in line for a promotion to the majors.

I agree with Paul that the O's go with 8 relievers until the 10th. Who the 7th and 8th relievers are is up in the air at the moment. It could be any of Worley, Roe, Wright, Drake, and/or Despaigne.

If they go with Wilson it could be an indication that Gausman will be out awhile. If it is only 1-2 starts I think Worley makes sense. The other starters like Gonzo aren't going to lose their jobs 2 starts in. If it is Wilson that means Roe is gone.

Didn't you see, Gallardo pitched 4 innings with 2 runs allowed against Single-A Charlotte? He is good to go!

yep 4 innings, 6 hits, 3 BB's, and only one K against A league guys

and folks will still say it is only ST and he is working on stuff

look at the lines of any established front line starter and they are generally dominating in ST

Kershaw, Greinke, Arrieta, take a look at Mike Leake who I thought should have been

the O's number 1 target.

Instead we fluhed 22 million dollars down the toilet on an injured (not good to begin with)

Gallardo

Tied up 168 million on a 1B who is as likely to hit .210 as he is to hit .260

threw away 7 million on a minor leaguer from Korea

gave 32 million to a 32 yo reliever, just in time to capture his full decline

Could have had a really good roster for the money spent, instead we've got the 2015 Phillies

It doesn't affect Rickard. He's a lock for the roster either way. I think Paredes will start on the DL.

More likely it affects the bullpen. Assuming Gausman starts the year on the DL, I think the O's will carry an 8th reliever for the first five games, then add a starter for game #6.

I do too.

look at the lines of any established front line starter and they are generally dominating in ST

Kershaw, Greinke, Arrieta, take a look at Mike Leake who I thought should have been

the O's number 1 target.

Instead we fluhed 22 million dollars down the toilet on an injured (not good to begin with)

Gallardo

Could have had a really good roster for the money spent, instead we've got the 2015 Phillies

I know you take a lot of crap, but personally, I think you are good for the board. You have the unique ability to figure out the worse case scenario in everything. Now you point to these things as facts, but that doesn't bother me because in every assessment you should evaluate the best and worse case scenario's because the truth lies somewhere in between most of the time. Thanks for always giving us the lowest bar. ;)

the O's number 1 target.

Gallardo

And a draft pick. Even more than the money and the lack of an upgrade, the draft pick may be the biggest regret of the Gallardo deal, if not the entire offseason.

the O's number 1 target.

Gallardo

[video=youtube;46kXH6GGtT0]

I know you take a lot of crap, but personally, I think you are good for the board. You have the unique ability to figure out the worse case scenario in everything. Now you point to these things as facts, but that doesn't bother me because in every assessment you should evaluate the best and worse case scenario's because the truth lies somewhere in between most of the time. Thanks for always giving us the lowest bar. ;)

Hey I know you are being sarcastic, and I know I'm too negative, but I'm not feeling very hopeful, and my frustration boils over especially in light of the folks that never find a reason

to doubt any of the long list of dubious DD decisions.

Hey I know you are being sarcastic, and I know I'm too negative, but I'm not feeling very hopeful, and my frustration boils over especially in light of the folks that never find a reason

I've learned to understand that your viewpoint is as often wrong as that of the folks that think that all the Orioles will be all stars. Like Tony, it does give me a pause to say..."Now, what is the worst thing that could happen from this?"

I do think Gallardo is injured. Every single one of his starts has been bad this spring. One more bad start and I'm basically ready to declare him a 60-day DL candidate.

The guy who watched him throw in person yesterday thought differently. We will see.

Also, I don't think he was really being sarcastic.

Definitely a possibility. I don't know how you walk Single A guys. Whenever a veteran guy has to pitch against low minor league guys, they always talk about how those guys are just hacking constantly. To walk 3 of them seems like you have to really be incredibly off.

Possibly so. I'll ask Doc. Who saw it.

Definitely a possibility. I don't know how you walk Single A guys. Whenever a veteran guy has to pitch against low minor league guys, they always talk about how those guys are just hacking constantly. To walk 3 of them seems like you have to really be incredibly off.

I'm a Gallardo guy, so I hope I'm wrong and he gets it together. I'm in worried mode between this and the Gausman thing.

He's never been a command guy.

Archived