Gibbons didn't see the forest through the trees

Frobby

I think a key moment in tonight's game was Gibbons' stupid challenge of the Rickard stolen base. First of all, there clearly wasn't evidence to overturn the call. But more importantly, that decision bought Chris Tillman five minutes of rest, after he'd just spent 25 minutes on the mound. If Strohman gets through the first quickly, Tillman's probably a dead man. Instead, the challenge takes five minutes, Estrada stands sround on the mound, and the O's put together a 20-minute inning of their own. Tillman regroups and the rest is history. Dumb tactics by Gibbons IMO, regardless of whether the O's might have had an extended inning anyway.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a key moment in tonight's game was Gibbons' stupid challenge of the Rickard stolen base. First of all, there clearly wasn't evidence to overturn the call. But more importantly, that decision bought Chris Tillman five minutes of rest, after he'd just spent 25 minutes on the mound. If Strohman gets through the first quickly, Tillman's probably a dead man. Instead, the challenge takes five minutes, Estrada stands sround on the mound, and the O's put together a 20-minute inning of their own. Tillman regroups and the rest is history. Dumb tactics by Gibbons IMO, regardless of whether the O's might have had an extended inning anyway.

It was Estrada. but yeah.

To be fair, he usually gets free challenges later in games. I was quite surprised he didn't get a chance to review the Jones foul tip noncall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes he does, I've never seen anyone request as many challenges as Gibbons. He questions everything and the umps always give him crew chief reviews after he loses his initial challenge.

To be fair, he usually gets free challenges later in games. I was quite surprised he didn't get a chance to review the Jones foul tip noncall.

My point was, he gave Tillman an extra five minutes to recover. That's huge when you've just thrown 38 pitches. My biggest fear there was that Tillmsn would be back on the mound 7-8 minutes after he got off. Gibbons' move ensured that wouldn't happen. I guarantee Buck would have passed on that challenge for that reason.

My point was, he gave Tillman an extra five minutes to recover. That's huge when you've just thrown 38 pitches. My biggest fear there was that Tillmsn would be back on the mound 7-8 minutes after he got off. Gibbons' move ensured that wouldn't happen. I guarantee Buck would have passed on that challenge for that reason.

I understand and agree with your point. I'm just highlighting the absurdity of losing your challenge, but being able to have the umps give you more.

You (as a manager) have to consider these things in the context of a series. If he hadn't requested any challenges in the first two games, challenges the Rickard call and then asks for Jones I bet it's granted. But by the 3rd game, after a multitude of requests and reviews (none of which he won mind you) the Umps are tired of it.

Gibbons is just used to having reviews granted but he should've been able to feel the game better - as Frobby suggests.

Two relevant points made so far. The extra rest was a dumb, short-sighted move for Gibbons to make. But the point still stands that these freebie "umpire reviews" happen ALLLLL the friggin time, and it's no secret that a manager can "recommend" that an umpire take a second look at something. I'm begging someone to tell me the difference between a manager's review and a manager's request of an umpire review. MLB and NFL both got replay wrong so far, but it's at least a 1/2 step in the right direction.

Par for the Toronto course.

Cito sucks.

I don't see what Gibbons brings to the organization. He isn't a good tactician (ala Buck,Earl or LaRussa) nor does he strike me as a good motivator of people (ala Tito, Charlie Manuel or Dusty). He's like John Farrell as guy that's hung around so long they felt obligated to naming him manager.

Archived