Why Does No One Go Out To Settle Mike Wright Down?

JayThomas

The inning after we take a 2 run lead and Mike Wright starts off the 6th with a quick out, why did Matt Wieters and Dave Wallace allow 4 consecutive White Sox to reach base; reducing our lead to 1 run and leaving the bases loaded with 1 out? It was clear Mike was rushing things. He really did look like he was in the middle of an Arrieta-esqe meltdown. This happened last game too.

I know Mike needs to learn to work through things like this, but surely we don't have to hang him out to dry to learn how to get through these more smoothly ... or better, learn to recognize them developing and don't let them fully form. Come on Matt, show some of that veteran leadership!

That was a head scratcher for me too. Especially after he imploded at the same point in the game in the last start. Maybe it was some kind of "let the guy prove himself" confidence building exercise. I am surprised it did not have the opposite effect. Fortunately, Adam Jones saved the day with one of the best throws I have ever seen.

That was a head scratcher for me too. Especially after he imploded at the same point in the game in the last start. Maybe it was some kind of "let the guy prove himself" confidence building exercise. I am surprised it did not have the opposite effect. Fortunately, Adam Jones saved the day with one of the best throws I have ever seen.

And wasn't that the inning that Adam also made that diving stop and throw to Schoop from his knees?

I personally am sick and tired of all the nitpicking here of every little thing Wieters supposedly does wrong. How about commenting on the tag he made after taking that money throw from Adam to bail out Wright completing an unbelievable double play? Yeah how about that????). Good grief !!!

I personally am sick and tired of all the nitpicking here of every little thing Wieters supposedly does wrong. How about commenting on the tag he made after taking that money throw from Adam to bail out Wright completing an unbelievable double play? Yeah how about that????). Good grief !!!

Just posted on the defense thread :)

I had been thinking a starting a thread called "Buck lets Wright grow up." It's early in the year and I think Buck wants to challenge his young guys to learn to clean up their own messes -- even when they'll fail to do it some of the time. And might have failed today if Jones and Wieters hadn't saved a run.

The inning after we take a 2 run lead and Mike Wright starts off the 6th with a quick out, why did Matt Wieters and Dave Wallace allow 4 consecutive White Sox to reach base; reducing our lead to 1 run and leaving the bases loaded with 1 out? It was clear Mike was rushing things. He really did look like he was in the middle of an Arrieta-esqe meltdown. This happened last game too.

I know Mike needs to learn to work through things like this, but surely we don't have to hang him out to dry to learn how to get through these more smoothly ... or better, learn to recognize them developing and don't let them fully form. Come on Matt, show some of that veteran leadership!

Maybe Wright doesn't want people visiting him on the mound.

Maybe Wright doesn't want people visiting him on the mound.

That was my thought also and if there was a poll choice that is my vote. However it seems likely to be analyzed to death here instead of accepting the most simple explanation.

I don't think the O's under Buck go out very much.

I also have no idea if going out is actually helpful, harmful, or has no effect.

It seems to vary from what I have seen. Arrieta seemed to do worse after a visit when he was an Oriole.

Ill say this. I am still not completely sold on Wright yet, but the kid is definitely growing on me. He has a nice arm, he's very strong and powerful with a 6'6 frame and knows what he's doing out there. Now if he can just keep his poise and pitch better under adversity we might have something. If it comes down to Tillman, Gausman, Ubaldo, Wilson and Wright, and they can pitch reasonably well, we should win a lot of games.

Lots of good thoughts in this thread. Thanks.

I'm with you Roy. This is a big strong guy with a mid-90's FB. If he can refine his secondaries and more importantly - as you say - keep his poise, he could be a 200-innings mid-rotation starter for us.

Btw, am I wrong in thinking that I saw a few of his pitches break to the right last night? I saw it against both left and right handed hitters and that pitch really flumoxxed them.

I don't think the O's under Buck go out very much.

I also have no idea if going out is actually helpful, harmful, or has no effect.

Going out last night could have made the situation seem worse than it was after the 2 bloop hits. Playing sports is all about confidence. You don't want to get the guy thinking too much after giving up a few dinks. They went out at the right time after the 2nd walk.

I agree with you.

Archived