Adam Jones and Double Plays

brianod

I love Adam but he has really gotten on my nerves lately with inning ending double plays to kill rally's. So, I looked it up. In 21 games, Adam has hit into 6 double plays. If he continues the pace and plays every game from here on out, he would break the major league record of 36, set by Jim Rice by 4. So, I think it's time for a bunt or two. I think it's time for some coaching. Even team leaders have to be told when they need to make an adjustment imo.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Adam but he has really gotten on my nerves lately with inning ending double plays to kill rally's. So, I looked it up. In 21 games, Adam has hit into 6 double plays. If he continues the pace and plays every game from here on out, he would break the major league record of 36, set by Jim Rice by 4. So, I think it's time for a bunt or two. I think it's time for some coaching. Even team leaders have to be told when they need to make an adjustment imo.

Yeah, one thing that would help is batting him lower in the order until he starts hitting. So that he has less chances to hit into them. Seventh in the order sounds about right for his production so far. Buck would never do something like that though. Loyal to a fault he will keep pounding that square peg into a round hole until it fits.

Yeah, one thing that would help is batting him lower in the order until he starts hitting. So that he has less chances to hit into them. Seventh in the order sounds about right for his production so far. Buck would never do something like that though. Loyal to a fault he will keep pounding that square peg into a round hole until it fits.

I think a change of approach would be more important than a change in the batting order but the only thing I don't want to see is for it to be ignored.

I think he's still very much hurt. I hate to say it, but I think now he really should've gone on the DL. I think he aggravates the muscle every time he swings. I don't know for sure why he didn't try and throw out the runner at third on a shallow fly ball, but I have to think the injury MAY have played into it.

I think you are correct in saying that Roy. He's hit a few balls to right center that looked like they would clear the fence. Only to die just in front of the warning track.

Also, it doesn't appear that he is running at 100% either.

I think he's still very much hurt. I hate to say it, but I think now he really should've gone on the DL. I think he aggravates the muscle every time he swings. I don't know for sure why he didn't try and throw out the runner at third on a shallow fly ball, but I have to think the injury MAY have played into it.

I agree, and I think it was Ellsbury going home with the run that broke a scoreless tie. It was hit fairly shallow, and while Ellsbury can fly, I was quite surprised he didn't give it a heave. I don't think he is right physically, either.

He looks slow to me, which could fall into that injury theory as well.

Yeah, a couple of DPs were on balls he sometimes beats out. Still, 6 DPs this early is just one of those things that happens. He won't hit into 60, or 40 for that matter. 21 is his career high.

BTW, according to Baseball-reference is showing Adam at 7.

I doubt he will ever break the record for the most career GIDP than Cal Jr has, who is the holder of that record with 350.

Adam has 130, according to bbref.

.239/.266/.426/.692 over his last 81 games

That's 1/2 year of below replacement level

Owed 33.6 million dollars for 2017 & 2018 plus the 16.3 for this year.

Pretty much un-tradeable, not a single CF prospect in the O's system

He was hurt virtually the entire second half.

He was hurt virtually the entire second half.

Fine then he shouldn't be playing at well below replacement level, and if Buck hasn't made that call after 81 games when will he?

and after a full off season when will Jones be healthy?

is he an old 30?

Ben Revere has sat out 6 weeks with an oblique for the Nats and is due back in a week or so.

Why didn't the O's give Adam a month to heal? Why did he play hurt last year?

The numbers don't lie, he has been consistently bad for a while.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/781/orioles-need-adam-jones-to-start-hitting-like-adam-jones

I think the article sums it up pretty well. We may not have any CF prospects, but at this point I would much rather roll the dice on a healthy Xavier Avery/Rickard platoon.

This is what last place desperate teams do, not teams in first place and a strong desire to hit the WS.

The season is a marathon. Lose the battle, win the war. We have little chance of reaching the postseason if Jones hits like this all year. We don't know much about the injury and how it affects him. He has hit some balls hard but he does not seem himself. It all depends on if some time off, and how much, will get him back to 100%. Can't believe anyone who would want a whole season of a 50% Jones, instead of losing one month of him and getting 3 1/2 months of a 100% Jones.

The first place argument on May 5, is silly.

Avery is an unproven talent at this level.

Rickard, while a fan favorite, is also unproven and in a slump, granted, like Buck said, he doesn't have the look at the plate of somebody in a slump, things are not just going for him.

Avery is an unproven talent at this level.

Rickard, while a fan favorite, is also unproven and in a slump, granted, like Buck said, he doesn't have the look at the plate of somebody in a slump, things are not just going for him.

To me, the clear sign that someone is not in a slump is when they flail ineffectually at an eye level 87 MPH fastball.

He's not right, unless he all of the sudden lost the ability to square up a 92 mph fastball.

He's getting jammed on inside fastballs that he normally gets the bat head on, and he's fouling off hittable fastballs over the heart of the plate. Become really clear during the home-stand that he struggling for whatever reason to really barrel up and get the good part of the bat through the hitting zone.

A typical Adam slump involves not seeing pitches well, guessing, and chasing ALOT of pitches out of the zone. He's not doing that. In fact his K rate is lower than his career average and his walk rate is more than double his career average right now.

Bottom Line, if Adam continues to slug below .400 (he's currently at .295) this team isn't doing anything

Archived