Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

Would the Orioles vaunted scouting department do better than these two players with the 76th pick?

Your idol has been traded, who are you going to irrationally defend now?:) Just teasing sir, we definitely disagreed on Matusz though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two 16th round college arms. Not terrible. Not happy about the pick though. The Gallardo signing is looking worse and worse.

Man I thought the Orioles were going to restock but good in this draft...maybe if Duquette really keeps working at it we can get down to no picks in the first 100.

Was I the only one thinking in the back of my head that maybe we'd be trading for Jim Johnson as swapping two older relievers that might need a change of scenery? What, just me? It's okay, it's fine, I'll show myself out. Still, in my defense, judging from reaction over dealing the pick, a lot of people would rather that.

From a pure analytical standpoint, it's hard to argue against that giving up the pick is a poor idea and im certainly not. From a pure fan's perspective though, I do take comfort in knowing that Matusz is done here. Please good God, don't bring him back. He DOES need a change of scenery (if anything is going to help at all) and if the Orioles aren't going to bring back the aforementioned Matusz or Koji when he was available, then I really don't want Matusz back.

Is the 76th pick really worth $3 Million and two minor leaguers that look like more than warm bodies? Color me surprised.

Anybody have an article projecting the value of draft picks?

Go do a little research on picks that late and see what you find. It is almost worthless, surely not the prized possession most here would like you to believe so they can bash Duquette.

No, they also lose the associated pool money. So this gives them less financial flexibility.

I think it is very clear that Dan doesn't care what state the organization is in when his contract is up.

This isn't all on Dan. Angelos is 86 years old. If anybody has incentive to go all-in to win now, it's him. There's a good chance he won't be alive when the Orioles have to rebuild again.

Man I thought the Orioles were going to restock but good in this draft...maybe if Duquette really keeps working at it we can get down to no picks in the first 100.

It's become clear to me that both Duquette and Showalter are True Believers in the window theory. I'm guessing they've calculated the window closing around the end of the 2018 season.

Just a hunch...

Would the Orioles vaunted scouting department do better than these two players with the 76th pick?

Exactly, let's stop acting like draft picks in the MLB have the same amount of value as they do in the NFL, NBA. How many rounds are there in the baseball draft? Eleventy Billion? We'll still have plenty of picks. The chances of us scoring a difference maker with the 76th overall pick is slim to none, especially with how pathetic the Orioles draft and develop. Sure, we could have gotten an Arrieta type that'd fall that far due to signability but we'd probably crap the bed on trying to make him do things a certain way.

Please. This isn't anything like the Redskins trading 3 years of #1 overall picks to move up and take RG3. This is nothing.

Was I the only one thinking in the back of my head that maybe we'd be trading for Jim Johnson as swapping two older relievers that might need a change of scenery? What, just me? It's okay, it's fine, I'll show myself out. Still, in my defense, judging from reaction over dealing the pick, a lot of people would rather that.

From a pure analytical standpoint, it's hard to argue against that giving up the pick is a poor idea and im certainly not. From a pure fan's perspective though, I do take comfort in knowing that Matusz is done here. Please good God, don't bring him back. He DOES need a change of scenery (if anything is going to help at all) and if the Orioles aren't going to bring back the aforementioned Matusz or Koji when he was available, then I really don't want Matusz back.

JJ and Markakis aren't DD's guys. He inherited them and let them both go. He has far less attachment to them than say Buck had to O'Day, Davis, Teagarden etc. Those guys were in the system with Buck in Texas and when he had the opportunity, he sought to bring them with him. DD has no desire to bring back anyone he inherited and subsequently let go.

This isn't all on Dan. Angelos is 86 years old. If anybody has incentive to go all-in to win now, it's him. There's a good chance he won't be alive when the Orioles have to rebuild again.

I'm going to put this all on Dan.

You think, twice now, Dan went to PA and said "I have to cut an under performing relief pitcher." and that both times PA said "Well you better get me my money back."?

Dan needs to make sure he has the money to trade for this year's Parra.

Archived