Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

Maybe DD is onto some new Moneyball ish that no one is onto yet and has realized that MLB draft picks aren't all that special and you can get value by trading for guys that other teams have already drafted and semi-developed. At least you know these guys are probably better than Matt Hobgood was ever going to be.

BUT OMG DRAFT PICK!!!!!!

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-Sold Webb and a pick

-Traded De Aza, some dead money

-DFA Norris, dead money

-DFA Snider, dead money

-Sold Matusz and a pick

-Ubaldo, Kim and Gallardo are all looking like dead money so far. I like Kim though, Buck doesn't.

It's a disturbing trend. DD has made some mistakes, but I think a lot of it has to do with playing in the AL East and trying to win. Look at the dead money that BOS and NYY eat every year.

I don't know why they wouldn't.

They bought a draft pick.

What isn't to like.

My friend who is a Braves fan is going to be pleased.

So give us your scouting report of the two minor leaguers we got in the deal. Evidently you are putting zero value on them.

Belicek's career stats are: 85 IP, 2.43 ERA, 13 walks, 77K, 1.05 whip. He's walked only 1 batter vs. 32 Ks in 28 IP this year. Not bad.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=664923#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

Barker's numbers are solid too

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=656210#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

We cleared salary, got two potential bullpen arms for one draft pick. Even if that draft pick pans out he wouldn't contribute for several years. The Os are in win now mode.

So give us your scouting report of the two minor leaguers we got in the deal. Evidently you are putting zero value on them.

Belicek's career stats are: 85 IP, 2.43 ERA, 13 walks, 77K, 1.05 whip. He's walked only 1 batter vs. 32 Ks in 28 IP this year. Not bad.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=664923#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=656210#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

We cleared salary, got two potential bullpen arms for one draft pick. Even if that draft pick pans out he wouldn't contribute for several years. The Os are in win now mode.

There's no point. He is against any signings or trades for draft picks.

I'll say this, he was right about both Ubaldo and Gallardo, both terrible signings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Belicek's career stats are: 85 IP, 2.43 ERA, 13 walks, 77K, 1.05. He's walked only 1 batter vs. 32 Ks in 28 IP this year. Not bad.

Weams tried to defend the last sale of a draft pick.

I already said I haven't look at them and I won't be tonight.

What I do know is that the Braves valued a comp pick more than they did these two players and a sizeable hunk of change.

They are in the best position to evaluate the players.

Obviously the Braves rate him a lot lower.

Yeah, they rated him so low that they gave him a couple of AAA starts at the end of 2015, and have him in their AA rotation this year. He was drafted in 2014. It is really hard to find a lot of negative on this guy.

Yeah, they rated him so low that they gave him a couple of AAA starts at the end of 2015, and have him in their AA rotation this year. He was drafted in 2014. It is really hard to find a lot of negative on this guy.

Than why give him up for a comp pick?

To me that is the simple test, how valuable can these two be for the Braves to rate a pick as being more valuable than the two players and millions.

We are basally hoping the Braves grossly mis-evaluated their own players.

Remember when Buck was talking about all of the draft picks we had this year last off season?

Dan Duquette proves once again that he doesn't place a lot of value on draft picks. I'm not condemning him. Just stating the obvious.

Or, and this is where I am, he doesn't care what happens once his contract expires.

I've long been done with Dan, so, whatever. Matusz very clearly should never have been signed at all. Goes with the rest of this turd of an off season.

I know the plan is power, defense, and bullpen... and maybe one of these guys becomes a middle inning part, but it's a shame we'll never have a good rotation.

Some of you really overrate draft picks, especially a freaking 76th overall. This is a nothing move.

When you have a bottom five farm system and you are unwilling to invest in a competitive fashion in the international market you kind of need draft picks.

Archived