Remember, kids, we could NOT have had Fister AND Latos for less than Gallardo

FanSince88

Tanaka cost a 150 million dollar posting fee. Did you forget? He costs what Price does.

You're conflating his contract with his posting fee. His contract was $155 million (for seven years), but his posting fee was only $20 million. That's the maximum posting fee that MLB allows.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're conflating his contract with his posting fee. His contract was $155 million (for seven years), but his posting fee was only $20 million. That's the maximum posting fee that MLB allows.

That said, TINSTAAPP is incorrect when saying that the O's could've had Tanaka for the same price as Ubaldo and Gallardo. Ubaldo and Gallardo are combining to make $72 million for their entire contracts, while Tanaka cost $175 million (including the posting fee).

Fine, maybe they wouldn't have signed for just over $10 mil combined. But don't you think we could have had both for less than $22 mil combined? 1/13 for Fister, 1/8 for Latos. $21 mil combined, keep the draft pick, no multi year committment. Are you seriously going to tell me Fister amd Latos would turn down roughly double the money just because it's the AL East?

You don't think they are trying for big contacts based on their performance this season and not just a small amount of difference this year?

I forgot that he was post posting change. It seems like he has been there so long. Thanks. I guess I was thinking Darvish.

That said, TINSTAAPP is incorrect when saying that the O's could've had Tanaka for the same price as Ubaldo and Gallardo. Ubaldo and Gallardo are combining to make $72 million for their entire contracts, while Tanaka cost $175 million (including the posting fee).

Good info. So he is short of Price too on total value. Very good.

It is my opinion that all 3 of Gallardo, Latos, and Fister all suck. Their K rates are all abysmal - I think it's unlikely any of them end the year below 4.50 ERA, and I bet 2 of the 3 end up over 5. I didn't an don't want any of them - would rather have the 14th pick than all of the above.

The only pitchers that want to pitch at Camden Yards and take the Orioles physical are pitchers who can't comparable deals anywhere else.

We are basically their last resort. That is why we get guys like Jiminez and Gallardo. The rest of the league knows they are headed towards failure.

It is my opinion that all 3 of Gallardo, Latos, and Fister all suck. Their K rates are all abysmal - I think it's unlikely any of them end the year below 4.50 ERA, and I bet 2 of the 3 end up over 5. I didn't an don't want any of them - would rather have the 14th pick than all of the above.

I pretty much agree.

I forgot that he had a post posting change. It seems like he has been there so long. Thanks. I guess I was thinking Darvish.

50 cents for a postcard.

Tanaka weighs 215 pounds, so he cost $1,088.55 to ship over here.

I'm talking more about their AAV. Tanaka is making $22 million/year which is the same amount of money Ubaldo ($13 million) and Gallardo ($9 million) is making this year. Of course the yearly commitment and total salary would be higher but it would have been worth it.

My general take is if you're not going to bother with top shelf pitchers, or take chances with high reward international signings and the only thing you'll do is wait until last minute and sign 3rd tier, high risk/medium reward (or perhaps worse) starting pitchers that require the loss of a 1st round pick, maybe you're better off not depleting the farm system of starting pitching prospects.

Just think, we could have had Buster Posey instead of Brian Matusz...Max Scherzer instead of Billy Rowell...Mike Trout instead of Matt Hobgood....

Hindsight is just the bestest hobby ever!

I remember a lot of posters on this board being really high on Posey coming into that draft. The problem was the Orioles had drafted Wieters the year before. It would have been interesting if the Pirates had drafted Wieters instead of going cheap with their selection. The Orioles probably would have picked Ross Detwiler and then they might have drafted Posey the following year.

I remember a lot of posters on this board being really high on Posey coming into that draft. The problem was the Orioles had drafted Wieters the year before. It would have been interesting if the Pirates had drafted Wieters instead of going cheap with their selection. The Orioles probably would have picked Ross Detwiler and then they might have drafted Posey the following year.

The time leading up to the June draft always shows just how informed several of the frequent posters are around here. It's one of my favorite times and humbling too. Looking back years later always shows just how inexact a science predicting the future is when it comes to major league success.

However I can't say I see much point in extended lamentations over the lack of a reliable crystal ball, whether about the draft or FA acquisitions.

Archived