Remember, kids, we could NOT have had Fister AND Latos for less than Gallardo

FanSince88

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I think either the DH needs to go away, or implement it in the NL, IMO

During it this way, is just dumb. IMO

I think the odds are that we will see the DH in the NHL within 5 years, maybe sooner than that.

It's already in the NHL. Tom Wilson is a pretty good one for the Caps. :P

Fister is having a great season, but I think the OP is using the benefit of hindsight to prop up his theory. Remember, Fister was reportedly asking for 2 / 22 from the Orioles (reported by Roch), he struggled terrifically last year with the Nats and was demoted to the bullpen, his fastball velocity was 86 at the start of last year (86...) and he only average 5 2/3 innings per start last year.

Those are some SERIOUS warning signs that would have caused any team to be cautious about overpaying on a one year deal.

And I think its really unwise to discount the idea of him not wanting to pitch in Camden Yard and/or the AL East. His current season (8 - 3, 3.21 ERA) will likely net him a large multi-year deal in the off-season if he can maintain it. Last year OPACY was the 3rd best hitters park in the Majors and Minute Maid was the 22nd best. There were 33% less runs scored at Minute Maid Park than OPACY - that is a huge difference. Also Houston's opponents in the AL West scored 10% fewer runs than the Orioles opponents in the AL East last year. If you're looking to have a bounce-back season and capture a big free agent contract, any sane business person would choose Houston over Baltimore every day of the week and twice on Sunday - even if the contract was a couple of million less this year.

And speaking of the contract, Fister is currently projected to get 188 IPs this year, which would trigger incentives taking the contract to 11M (he will get $12M if he gets to 200 IP). Presumably, the O's would have had to offer a contract with incentives that outbid that number by a significant margin to get Fister to Baltimore. At the time, I'm not sure any of us would have been to happy with a $9M guaranteed contract with performance accelerators to $13 - $14MM which probably would have been the starting point for convincing Fister to pass on the offer from Houston. I know that if I were Fister, I'd have still passed on a $2M better deal with the O's for the opportunity to pitch in Houston and improve my chances of a big FA contract in 2017, so it's not even clear to me that a $14M contract was going to get it done.

Anyway I think the OPs original premise is fundamentally wrong. To get either pitcher here, we probably have to overpay. Maybe $4M to get Latos and $14M to get Fister for one season. That's less than the total contract we gave Gallardo, but its significantly more than we're paying on an annual basis.

So it's unclear that we could have had them at all since no sane pitcher trying to land a multi-year contract through a 1 year bounce-back contract would choose Baltimore if they have any other option and even if we could have gotten them, they probably would have cost as much as 50% more on an annualized basis than Gallardo.

And no pick.

Just thought I'd mention that once again, as Fister pitched nearly 6 innings of 3 hit ball against us today. Yes, yes, he gave up two homers, but they were solo shots. a rather Chen-like outing if I may say so. Not to mention Latos who is doing very well.

How awesome would this rotation have been:

Tillman

Gausman

Fister

Latos

Wilson/Wright/Ubaldo

It could have been all ours for just over $10 mil AND kept the 14th pick, AND only a one year committment. Instead we're stuck with gimpy Yovani for another year and a half. :puke:

Lets see O's in first place. Just because you think that the DD screwed the pooch

signing Gallardo instead of Fister and Latos. What you seem to forget is its a two

way street. Maybe Fister and Latos didnt want to sign with the O's. Latos has been

sent out. IMO

Lets see O's in first place. Just because you think that the DD screwed the pooch

signing Gallardo instead of Fister and Latos. What you seem to forget is its a two

way street. Maybe Fister and Latos didnt want to sign with the O's. Latos has been

sent out. IMO

Fair enough, and if I'm proven wrong, so much the better.

I'm very amused that someone (probably not you, Tx Oriole, but a certain other individual who has decided to start flaming me on this board all of a sudden, as if I'm the worst cancer to ever post on here, as if I haven't been an occasional poster for 11 years with a positive overall rating) decided to neg-rep me today, over a month after I started this thread, and after 4 pages of replies. Looks like a character assassination is underway.

I'm very amused that someone (probably not you, Tx Oriole, but a certain other individual who has decided to start flaming me on this board all of a sudden, as if I'm the worst cancer to ever post on here, as if I haven't been an occasional poster for 11 years with a positive overall rating) decided to neg-rep me today, over a month after I started this thread, and after 4 pages of replies. Looks like a character assassination is underway.

Isn't it also possible you got negative rep for posting stuff that's inaccurate without it being a conspiracy against you?

You claim that we could have had Latos and Fister for only 10M. That's only true if Fister pitches less than 100 IPs (which is only likely to happen if he's injured or cut). To be accurate, you could have said 10 - 15M (to account for Fister's performance accelerators) but that would have invalidated your whole premise, so you just posted the stuff that fit your theory, without being concerned with accuracy. Lots of people (including me) have gotten neg rep for posting things that were wrong and easily researched. Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.

sadViolin.jpg

Archived