Adam Jones really looks lost at the plate.

flaoriolesfan

Just hoping for the opposite of what I typed. This sure is putting a lot of pressure

on me.

My point is, you typed that our starting staff is great. The opposite of that is the starting staff not pitching great.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

(JUNE 16th)

"Adam Jones is starting to hit like Adam Jones again. He just clobbered a 1-0 fastball from Eduardo Rodriguez over the Green Monster and out of Fenway Park to give the Orioles a 2-0 lead. He's not your conventional lead-off hitter given that he rarely walks, but the O's don't really have an obvious (bonafide) lead-off guy."

David Schoenfield

• 2 weeks later...

From May 26:

He has an OPS of .718 over his last 111 games going back to July 1 of last year.

even worse if you just look at this year.

Not too worried about cherry-picked stats like that. Jones has had hot first halves some years, hot second halves other years. He had his 2016 OPS up to about .750 about 2 weeks ago, and now he's hit a cold spell and is back down, but I have confidence he will get his act together and put up solid numbers over the full season.
Curious what would you consider "solid" numbers
.750+ OPS, roughly 25 homers. He's slid a little bit every year since 2012, and at age 30 with his slow start I'd expect that slide to continue, but I don't think he falls off a cliff.
Okay I crunched some numbers

assuming he stays healthy I assumed he would get 420 PA in the final 118 games

To get to a final tally of 25 HR's and a .750 OPS, one solution would be a slash line

of .288 / .317 / .475 / .792 for the remainder of the season

This would result in a total season slash line

of .271 / .307 / .444 / .751

His final stats would look like

PA: 586 AB: 554 H: 150 2B: 21 3B: 0 HR: 25 BB: 30 271 / .307 / .444 / .751

Do-able but he best get started

So, here it is one month later, and Jones has a .779 OPS (career .781) and is on pace for 32 HR and 104 RBI. He will have his hot and cold spells, as he always does, but from season to season he's a pretty consistent player.

o

From May 26th:

So, here it is one month later, and Jones has a .779 OPS (career .781) and is on pace for 32 HR and 104 RBI. He will have his hot and cold spells, as he always does, but from season to season he's a pretty consistent player.

He also scoffed at Showalter's decision to insert Jones into the lead-off spot in the lineup when he did a month ago:

LOL, Adam Jones at lead off

Buck is truly the anti-Weaver, look at the percentages and do the opposite

This will look extra bad if AJ makes the last out of the game with Manny in the hole

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> Adam "June" Jones (no, not the football coach) has 10 HRs & 25 RBI w .315 BA this MONTH. Entire season: 15 HR, 48 RBI, .265 </p>— Mark Viviano (@MarkWJZ) <a href="

">June 27, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

o

(JUNE 16th)

"Adam Jones is starting to hit like Adam Jones again. He just clobbered a 1-0 fastball from Eduardo Rodriguez over the Green Monster and out of Fenway Park to give the Orioles a 2-0 lead. He's not your conventional lead-off hitter given that he rarely walks, but the O's don't really have an obvious (bonafide) lead-off guy."

David Schoenfield

Adam Jones has essentially had 2 seasons so far as an offensive player.

From Opening Day until May 26th, when he batted either 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the lineup ...... and from May 27th through the present, ever since Showalter inserted him into the lead-off spot in the lineup.

Adam Jones as the lead-off hitter in 2016:

.138)) ) Plate Appearances

.317 ))) Batting Average

.350 ))) OBP

.954 ))) OPS

))10 l..) HR

o..6 llll. 2B

Adam Jones, Places in the Lineup:

1st: l) .317 BA ll))) .350 OBP l))) .954 OPS l.. 10 HR l))) 6 2B l))) (138 lPlate Appearances)

2nd: l) .273 BA ll))) .304 OBP l))) .668 OPS l))) 0 HR l))) 2 2B l))) (23 1lPlate Appearances)

3rd: l) .222 BA ll))) .282 OBP l))) .671 OPS l))) 5 HR l))) 3 2B l))) (117 lPlate Appearances)

4th: l) .188 BA ll))) .278 OBP l))) .465 OPS l))) 0 HR l))) 0 2B l))) (18 1lPlate Appearances)

5th: l) .182 BA ll))) .250 OBP l))) .523 OPS l))) 0 HR l))) 1 2B l))) (12 1lPlate Appearances)

o

I said in another thread, and bares repeating.

Jones is not the idea leadoff guy on paper.

But, this team it works, and like Cakes in 2014.

Its probably more has to do with his getting healthy, but, its working, and I would be incline to leave it the fork alone. :)

• 1 month later...

I said in another thread, and it bears repeating ........

Adam Jones is not the idea lead-off guy on paper ........ but for this team, it works. Like it did with 'Kakes in 2014.

It probably has more has to do with his getting healthy, but it's working, and I would be inclined to leave it the fork alone. :)

Relatively speaking, Jones has excelled in the lead-off spot in 2016, compared to when he has batted in the other spots in the batting order this season.

• 1 month later...

o

A late-season slump brought Jones' numbers considerably down.

Adam Jones as the Lead-off Hitter in 2016:

.488) ) Plate Appearances

.282 )) Batting Average

.320 )) OBP

.791 )) OPS

))24 )l, HR

ol13 )ll 2B

Adam Jones, Places in the Lineup:

1st: ) .282 BA ))) .320 OBP ))) .791 OPS )l 24 HR .. 13 2B ))) (488 lPlate Appearances)

2nd: ) .233 BA ))) .303 OBP ))) .603 OPS ))) 0 HR ))) 2 2B ))) (33 1lPlate Appearances)

3rd: ) .223 BA ))) .281 OBP ))) .665 OPS ))) 5 HR ))) 3 2B ))) (121 lPlate Appearances)

4th: ) .188 BA ))) .278 OBP ))) .465 OPS ))) 0 HR ))) 0 2B ))) (18 1lPlate Appearances)

5th: ) .182 BA ))) .250 OBP ))) .523 OPS ))) 0 HR ))) 1 2B ))) (12 1lPlate Appearances)

o

Archived