TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 3 parts to a baseball team - the lineup (offense and defense), the starting pitching, and the bullpen. And the SP's are the least important of the 3, because the pen pitches more pressure-packed innings when the game is on the line. The O's have arguably the best lineup and one of the top pens, so as long as the SP's aren't terrible, they're going to avoid prolonged bad spells.

So let me get this straight. If you subtract the three longest winning streaks the Orioles have had this season, they wouldn't have as good a record? Is that right? Out of curiosity, has there ever been a team for which that wasn't the case?

1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This makes absolutely no sense. So if they had lost game 4 in each case, they would be better despite have won three less. Sorry, but this just doesn't fly.
Just following the OP's logic through to it's conclusion. take it up with him.

I can't fault Tony's logic or his discussion.

Very weird team. Wonder how many other teams had such incredible success with such ruinous starting pitching.

The logic was sound as was the analysis, but I'm loving every minute of this team playing the way it is playing. Maybe I should say Gausman is just a mediocre starting pitching now? ;)

The logic was sound as was the analysis, but I'm loving every minute of this team playing the way it is playing. Maybe I should say Gausman is just a mediocre starting pitching now? ;)

Please do!

The team has scored 6.74 runs/game in June. A team can withstand poor starting pitching when the offense is humming like that. When the offense cools off, the starting pitching problems will be more problematic.

this is Keith Law-ish analysis: subtract the longest winning streaks and then look at what is left!

Keith Law said the exact same thing after I believe the 2nd 7-game winning streak. Something to the effect of "they are an under .500 team if you take away the 7 game winning streak."

lol. that is horrible.

No, that is credible given that the streak was the first 7 games of the year and they had been around .500 for an extended period after that. I must admit, I'm shocked and very happy about the last 7 games.

Obviously when the offense cools off things will get interesting, but I actually am feeling a little better about our rotation after seeing Gallardo's velocity sitting low 90's. If he can continue that, he's a solid mid/back end starter. All this team needs in all honesty is just solid starters. Even when the offense "cools off" we'll have solid production. We just won't be scoring 6+ runs every game out. If we can get quality starts and then give it to the pen to shut it down we have a very good shot every time out. Tillman, Gausman, and Gallardo I feel solid about. The rest of the rotation is the big question mark. Hopefully Ubaldo can just give us a shot most times out. He's going to have that terrible game every once in a while, that's just who he is.

Archived