TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

That's my main worry.

That's the current ERA of the starting rotation.

Last 28 games: .279/.346/.457 - .803 OPS, 4.60 ERA, 1.466 WHIP

Last 14 games: .269/.348/.466 - .814 OPS, 5.05 ERA, 1.458 WHIP

I'm not sure how long the offense can continue being otherworldly. Just look at May vs. June. At some point they'll regress a bit. Hopefully the starting pitching comes around.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

For some Oriole fans, even if YOU DO count the 7-game winning streaks, it isn't enough for them:

Why it is physically impossible for the orioles to won 8 games in a row is beyond me. Always stops at 7. Cleveland doesn't have this problem, they have almost doubled a 7 game winning streak

That's my main worry.

That's the current ERA of the starting rotation.

Last 28 games: .279/.346/.457 - .803 OPS, 4.60 ERA, 1.466 WHIP

Last 14 games: .269/.348/.466 - .814 OPS, 5.05 ERA, 1.458 WHIP

I'm not sure how long the offense can continue being otherworldly. Just look at May vs. June. At some point they'll regress a bit. Hopefully the starting pitching comes around.

And the starting pitching has somehow gotten worse.

So everyone' date=' what do you think Bump in the road or a downward trend?[/quote']

Downward trend. Not season ending trend, but if you look at the rotation:

Last 5 starts:

Tillman: .293/.336/.509 - .845 OPS, 4.66 ERA, 1.413 WHIP, 5 homers

Gausman: .313/.344/.478 - .823 OPS, 4.82 ERA, 1.464 WHIP, 5 homers

Gallardo (last 3): .254/.353/.475 - .828 OPS, 4.41 ERA, 1.470 WHIP, 3 homers

Wilson: .325/.380/.581 - .961 OPS, 6.83 ERA, 1.700 WHIP, 6 homers

Jimenez (not including today...which would make it worse): .321/.415/.531 - .946 OPS, 6.75 ERA, 2.09 WHIP, 3 homers

In the last 23 appearances: 22 homers allowed, OPS over 900, a WHIP well over 1.500. If you include Wright in those numbers, it ends up being worse.

To make matters worse, Wilson is now down in the minors, they called up Miranda. We have no idea how he'll play up here. Seemingly Jimenez is still in the rotation (I have no idea why outside of money).

So unless the O's keep scoring 6+ runs a game, they're going to need Tillman, Gausman and Gallardo to be much better.

So everyone' date=' what do you think Bump in the road or a downward trend?[/quote']

Our pitching is lousy. Hopefully not as bad as this series, but ain't gonna be good. That's something we understand going in.

I likened this series earlier in this thread to the miserable trip we had to Houston earlier this year. We got our teeth kicked in, so let's just move on. I don't think it's a harbinger of doom beyond just highlighting that our pitching is weak. Which we all knew anyway. Sometimes it will be particularly miserable. But hopefully not as consistently miserable as it was for four days in Seattle.

Going to stay positive. Despite the gaudy run diff (pant, so dreamy) for the Red Sox and the scary potential of the blue jays offense, the division is full of flawed teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our pitching is lousy. Hopefully not as bad as this series, but ain't gonna be good. That's something we understand going in.

I likened this series earlier in this thread to the miserable trip we had to Houston earlier this year. We got our teeth kicked in, so let's just move on. I don't think it's a harbinger of doom beyond just highlighting that our pitching is weak. Which we all knew anyway. Sometimes it will be particularly miserable. But hopefully not as consistently miserable as it was for four days in Seattle.

Going to stay positive. Despite the gaudy run diff (pant, so dreamy) for the Red Sox and the scary potential of the blue jays offense, the division is full of flawed teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony was pretty much right.

I think Tillman and Gausman will still give us more good starts than bad ones.

The team ran out of patience with Tyler Wilson a little early considering how long of a leash Wright got and Ubaldo is still getting. I would have given him another start or two. We need a third reliable starter. Hopefully Gallardo becomes that. I'm sure we add someone at the deadline as well.

We can still win the division with mediocre pitching. Boston's SP situation is just as bad.

Downward trend. Not season ending trend, but if you look at the rotation:

Last 5 starts:

Tillman: .293/.336/.509 - .845 OPS, 4.66 ERA, 1.413 WHIP, 5 homers

Gausman: .313/.344/.478 - .823 OPS, 4.82 ERA, 1.464 WHIP, 5 homers

Gallardo (last 3): .254/.353/.475 - .828 OPS, 4.41 ERA, 1.470 WHIP, 3 homers

Wilson: .325/.380/.581 - .961 OPS, 6.83 ERA, 1.700 WHIP, 6 homers

Jimenez (not including today...which would make it worse): .321/.415/.531 - .946 OPS, 6.75 ERA, 2.09 WHIP, 3 homers

In the last 23 appearances: 22 homers allowed, OPS over 900, a WHIP well over 1.500. If you include Wright in those numbers, it ends up being worse.

To make matters worse, Wilson is now down in the minors, they called up Miranda. We have no idea how he'll play up here. Seemingly Jimenez is still in the rotation (I have no idea why outside of money).

So unless the O's keep scoring 6+ runs a game, they're going to need Tillman, Gausman and Gallardo to be much better.

Great stat post. The only good new in this is that Tillman and Gausman should be better than this so we can expect them to right themselves a bit. Gallardo is a wild card. He's probably a 4th/5th start type but right now that makes him our 3rd best starter. The league caught up to Wilson's mediocre's stuff unfortunately and if Jimenez was released tomorrow this team would be better due to addition by subtraction.

The problem is of course, there's not much ready to help out. We know what Wright is, Miranda got smacked around once they saw him a bit, and the rest don't make you think they will be better than Wright or Wilson. Might be time to let Despaigne get a start and see how he does. I don't think he's an answer but honestly, we're out of guys to try unless Duquette can acquire another starter. I just keep thinking it sure would be nice to Zach Davies in this rotation.

Miranda faced 11 batters. Seager and Lind were the only batters to see him twice and although they both got hits, I'd be hesitant to say it was because of familiarity. Two innings is way too soon for me to write Miranda off.

Didn't write off Miranda, just stated the facts. But let's remember, no one was clamoring for Miranda and although Miranda had been pitching well when he was called up, he's also a guy with a 4.06 ERA in AAA with batters hitting .246 off him so it's not like he was dominating there for a long stretch of time. Trust me, I'm fine with giving him a shot instead of Jimenez, but the point being is not to get your hopes up over him like he's going to settle the rotation down.

Didn't write off Miranda, just stated the facts. But let's remember, no one was clamoring for Miranda and although Miranda had been pitching well when he was called up, he's also a guy with a 4.06 ERA in AAA with batters hitting .246 off him so it's not like he was dominating there for a long stretch of time. Trust me, I'm fine with giving him a shot instead of Jimenez, but the point being is not to get your hopes up over him like he's going to settle the rotation down.

I remember Dave Johnson coming out of nowhere in the why not season to do exactly what we need right now. We don't need to find a future TOR, we simply need competence. Pretty damning if we can't find that

I don't know if I can say that I was clamoring for him, but I was and touting him since last season, and asserting since then (last season) that Miranda could likely be called up by mid-season of 2016. I was excited about he and Joe Gunkel (ESPECIALLY Gunkel) as potential candidates for the starting rotation in 2017 and beyond.

But yes, not many were pounding on the doors for Miranda to be brought up to the Orioles.

Archived