TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

I don't get this thread. Aren't there several baseball cliches about playing .500 ball and going on streaks? Like the whole play .500 ball on the road and then kill it at home. That's saying you're playing .500 ball for 81 games. Then kill it at home.

Orioles

Home: 17-10

Away: 11-12

That's what we're doing. Keep in mind that BOS is about to play a real tough schedule in June as well.

2 @ Bal

3 v TOR

2 @ SF

3 @ MIN

3 v BAL

3 v SEA

4 CWS

3 @ TEX

3 @ TB

Split these next two with BOS and survive through the next two weeks and we're looking good. We aight.

You don't get it because you have orange colored glasses on. You are looking at things superficially. Cliches and using historical seasons are nothing more than stories, they mean nothing for this team in this season. The Orioles have played under .500 for the last 43 games of the season. When you are 50 games in, it gives you decent idea of what kind of team you have.

That doesn't mean the team can't improve, and it doesn't mean the Orioles won't play better from this point on, but what it does mean, and it's irrefutable, they have been playing mediocre baseball for the last 86% of this season. I felt they were an 80-84 win team and they are proving me right. I hope they prove me wrong on the positive side.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't get it because you have orange colored glasses on. You are looking at things superficially. Cliches and using historical seasons are nothing more than stories, they mean nothing for this team in this season. The Orioles have played under .500 for the last 43 games of the season. When you are 50 games in, it gives you decent idea of what kind of team you have.

That doesn't mean the team can't improve, and it doesn't mean the Orioles won't play better from this point on, but what it does mean, and it's irrefutable, they have been playing mediocre baseball for the last 86% of this season. I felt they were an 80-84 win team and they are proving me right. I hope they prove me wrong on the positive side.

I don't know about the orange colored glasses. I'm just not being a D&G'er. This team obviously has flaws. Getting swept sucks and losing the first two of a four game series really hurts the old w/l record. But we've only lost 5 series'

1-2 @ Tex

1-2 @ KC

1-2 @ TB

1-2 v SEA

0-3 @ HOU

I'll jump on the we're going to finish under .500 train when we start to lose to bad teams.

Hate to put a damper on the excitement of these guys, but here's some things about them.

Sisco (no power, still has a ways to go to be an average major league defensive catcher but improving)

Hess (4th/5th starter, most scouts think he'll end up in the pen still because of no consistent out pitch, 5.9K/9 at AA)

Reyes (Can't recognize spin yet, has some talent but slashing .207/.263/.329/.592 and striking out at a high rate at High-A means he's been exposed a bit)

Lee (3.3 K/9. Don't care how many ground ball you get, if you can't get AA batters to miss you are going to struggle at higher levels.)

Bundy (Fastball doesn't have much movement, velocity ok, but not dominant, batters seem to pick him up well, little deception.)

Literally, there is not one can't miss impact player in the system. There are interesting guys, and guys that should be able to help a major league club, but where's the guy you say to yourself, "It's just a matter of time before they are there and impacting the league?"

I was insinuating that Duquette could find a trade partner for each of those men.

Frobby said:

It's likely to be a bit of a roller coaster, but I'm certainly not going to throw in the towel on this team making the playoffs at this stage. Did we look like a playoff team in the first two months of 2012 or 2014? Things change, and the only thing we know for sure right now is that the team hasn't played its way out of contention, and in fact is in pretty decent position so far. We'll see what June tells us.

o

Actually, in 2012 the Orioles did not look like a playoff team for almost 4 months.

They were 46-44 in late July before Tommy Hunter was called back up from AAA-Norfolk, and gave us a 7.33 innings, 1-run game for a desperately-needed win. From that game onward, the Orioles went 47-25 to finish out the season.

o

The O's have looked overmatched the first two games of this series, which is disheartening, but we're still in the first half of the season. If this series were happening in September I'd feel a lot worse.

Short term, I'm not ready to give up on this team for this season. They have a powerful lineup, a strong defense and an excellent back end of the bullpen. Tillman looks like an ace, and I feel like they have a chance to win with Gausman, Wilson and Wright on the mound. The pitching staff is being dragged down by Ubaldo and by the lack of a reliable matchup lefty. Hopefully Gallardo can replace Ubaldo in the rotation, and DD should be able to acquire a serviceable LOOGY without having to give up a top prospect.

Long term, I'm discouraged by the lack of impact prospects and agree that the organization has not placed enough resources into scouting and player development. It's depressing to see draft picks being tossed around on mediocre free agents like Gallardo and to trade away bad but relatively small contracts like Ryan Webb and Brian Matusz.

Spot on. Gunkel is underwhelming from what I have seen.

The two trades that get me are that one (Krod) and the Parra deal last year.

Trading Erod was a good risk. If the Royals weren't so hot and we weren't so dinged up, we could have made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Manny. No Davis. No Wieters.

Boston.

Seattle...

. . . . . .

Is that the same Seattle team that just got swept by the Twins, who we beat every game but those wins don't count for us because the Twins stink. I wonder if those losses to them don't count for the Mariners either.

Spot on. Gunkel is underwhelming from what I have seen.

The two trades that get me are that one (Krod) and the Parra deal last year.

Trading Erod was a good risk. If the Royals weren't so hot and we weren't so dinged up, we could have made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-Rod was a decent trade we traded Nick Delmonico who seemed to have some issues with the team so we moved him Krod for some reason Buck didn't like using and never gave him much chance we no Buck if you are on his outs he is very stubburn (KIm)

I don't get this thread. Aren't there several baseball cliches about playing .500 ball and going on streaks? Like the whole play .500 ball on the road and then kill it at home. That's saying you're playing .500 ball for 81 games. Then kill it at home.

Orioles

Home: 17-10

Away: 11-12

That's what we're doing. Keep in mind that BOS is about to play a real tough schedule in June as well.

2 @ Bal

3 v TOR

2 @ SF

3 @ MIN

3 v BAL

3 v SEA

4 CWS

3 @ TEX

3 @ TB

Split these next two with BOS and survive through the next two weeks and we're looking good. We aight.

This is far too reasonable. It's much more fun to be hysterical and reactionary. Also negative is way cool. Show's you don't drink the Koolade. We suck.:cool:

K-Rod was a decent trade we traded Nick Delmonico who seemed to have some issues with the team so we moved him Krod for some reason Buck didn't like using and never gave him much chance we no Buck if you are on his outs he is very stubburn (KIm)

Game logs show that Buck used him for 12 games in August and 8 games in Sept.

I think you make a lot of good points, Tony. But there's a lot of flawed teams in the AL.

Even after this (admittedly) brutal stretch, the O's have the 5th best record in the AL.

They are 3rd in OPS, 3rd in HR, 3rd in 2Bs, 5th in ERA.

I would call them an above-average team. Although they don't look like World Series champs as it stands today.

Who would want him?

While the O's were busy bidding against themselves pretty much every team in MLB put out statements concerning how not interested in him they were.

When they lost to the Royals during the magical year.

They have played sub .500 ball for the last 43 games. Sure, they are in a slump, and of course they will go on a win streak at some point, but the problem is, they will also have another one of these losing streaks and end up where they are, a .500 team.

We're not at .500. We're over it. And in position to make the playoffs.

I don't understand why so many people try to make the first 7 games of the season not count.

Archived