Duquette Run Is Over

FSUBobcat7

The Jim Johnson trade worked out for us. Joe Saunders and Kelly Johnson were nice little trades. Andrew Miller helped us win the ALDS. Trumbo is looking good. Getting Chris Lee, Gunkel, and Rich Rodriguez were nice little moves too.

They probably waited a year too long to trade Jim Johnson.

Saunders was a solid trade. Kelly Johnson produced -0.1 WAR in his 19 games here.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the three prospects. Lee and Gunkel can't strike anyone out, and Rodriguez is a 26 year old reliever. But we basically got them for nothing (a DFA'd player and INT bonus slots we weren't going to use). So, decent trades.

Andrew Miller was excellent for us but we gave up too much for him.

The Trumbo trade is the other good trade that I was talking about, along with the Brach one.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I question any man that signs Ubaldo Jimenez and Yovani Gallardo with 1st round picks attached to them to 3-4 year deals given their history. Put quite simply. All that other stuff you posted is noise.

The only acceptable answer I'd hear from Dan Duquette is if he came out and said that he's not able to grow the arms because there's too much institutional red tape and poor development practices, so he'd rather trade them while they still have value.

That's the truth, but he could never say that and keep his job. He knows we need SP but he's handcuffed to get it, and so he takes risks like Gallardo and Ubaldo. I suppose you would rather have had McPhail who of course takesno risks, but would not have a winning season.

The release of a vet like gonzo when he had an option left simply as a salary dump is wayyyyyy to incompetent to ignore.

We need him BADLY right now and we ditched him but kept ubaldo and signed gallardo (both costing picks)????

Mind boggling and stunning idiocy, no other way to say it.

The release of a vet like gonzo when he had an option left simply as a salary dump is wayyyyyy to incompetent to ignore.

We need him BADLY right now and we ditched him but kept ubaldo and signed gallardo (both costing picks)????

You don't know what conversations were had between owner and VP about bringing in pitching help and spending the budget.

Not at all, economics. Do the math. You save 5M with Gonzo, you lose 22 M with Ublado.

That's the truth, but he could never say that and keep his job. He knows we need SP but he's handcuffed to get it, and so he takes risks like Gallardo and Ubaldo. I suppose you would rather have had McPhail who of course takesno risks, but would not have a winning season.

The difference between Duquette and MacPhail is the depth Dan has built. Players at AAA and AA ready to step up at the majors if needed. At least be an adequate fill in, if not any stars. That's why DD wins when Andy didn't. One injury and Andy's teams were crippled. They both were/are very good at some parts of the GM game. Neither is perfect.

The difference between Duquette and MacPhail is the depth Dan has built. Players at AAA and AA ready to step up at the majors if needed. At least be an adequate fill in, if not any stars. That's why DD wins when Andy didn't. One injury and Andy's teams were crippled. They both were/are very good at some parts of the GM game. Neither is perfect.
Dan inherited a lot on his plate. The owner had his rules, and wanted a win now club. But he had a dysfunctional system due to the owner's hubris. He has done a lot to improve that system, while maintaining a competitive team at the ML level. If the stupid owner has just left things to Gillick back in the day we would be a dynasty now. But no, he knew better than the best GM in baseball. And still thinks he does.

Personally I'd rather have an Andrew Friedman, a Billy Beane, etc.

I'd say 1 injury to anyone in the rotation and this team is crippled.

We have VERY different takes on where our organizational depth really is right now.

Archived