Nick Cafardo: Dan Duquette Is 'One Of The Best GMs In The Game'

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't know that PA negotiated that contract I don't know where you were last winter, lower slobovia?:rolleyestf:

So it really seems that every *bad* signing you want to blame on Angelos and any *good* actions you want to give to Duquette.

So *because* Angelos won't open his checkbook for the David Prices of the world, Dan Duquette *HAS* to sign the Ubaldos and the Gallardos, do I have it right?

So it really seems that every *bad* signing you want to blame on Angelos and any *good* actions you want to give to Duquette.

So *because* Angelos won't open his checkbook for the David Prices of the world, Dan Duquette *HAS* to sign the Ubaldos and the Gallardos, do I have it right?

Where have a I said that? I blame the CD signing on PA, and I believe he places constraints that force DD into taking risks that don't always pan out like Ubaldo and perhaps Gallardo.

Where have a I said that? I blame the CD signing on PA, and I believe he places constraints that force DD into taking risks that don't always pan out like Ubaldo and perhaps Gallardo.

It's how you come across.

I'm still not convinced CD was all on PA. Peter Angelos's Golden Child was Nick Markakis. Is he still an Oriole? Nelson Cruz was a huge clubhouse guy. Is he still an Oriole?

I'm sure PA had a part in the negotiations, but I don't get the impression that Duquette didn't have a say.

I'm still not convinced CD was all on PA. Peter Angelos's Golden Child was Nick Markakis. Is he still an Oriole? Nelson Cruz was a huge clubhouse guy. Is he still an Oriole?

I'm sure PA had a part in the negotiations, but I don't get the impression that Duquette didn't have a say.

If Duquette had full control of the budget, do you think he would have spent it all on Davis? When was the last time we heard anything to suggest DD had that much money to spend ever?

I think Dan has plenty of bad signing to his credit. Chris Davis is not one.

Was there any evidence that the Angelos family continued to speak with Nick Markakis after his last contract failed in the final years and he declared for free agency? I never heard of any dinners after the one where Nick assumed leadership. I did think Brady spoke with his representation.

I really think PA didn't want to hear anything about building up the farm system when he interviewed for the new GM. I think he was only interested in win now. I don't see how Dan could do much in that area given that charter. He has done quite a bit upgrading a very dysfunctional organization, and given us a winning team every year. I wonder what people would be saying about the mortgaged future, had he been able to spend the millions more he would have had to, on Price Grienke, Zimmerman, Cueto, in order to get them to come here. Or Latos and Fister for that matter.

If Duquette had full control of the budget, do you think he would have spent it all on Davis? When was the last time we heard anything to suggest DD had that much money to spend ever?

Since Duquette took over the payroll has went up from $90m (2012), $103m (2013), $115m (2014), $118m (2015), $145m (2016). I think 2016 is an aberration because of Wieters QO. But either way, his payroll has went up dramatically.

I don't know if he would have spent it all on Davis. BUT I do know that a significant amount is deferred, so his footprint is really like $17m. Jones is making $16m (Duquette structured that deal), Ubaldo is making $13m. So, yes, I do think Duquette would spend money on Davis....just not if the money wasn't deferred.

Since Duquette took over the payroll has went up from $90m (2012), $103m (2013), $115m (2014), $118m (2015), $145m (2016). I think 2016 is an aberration because of Wieters QO. But either way, his payroll has went up dramatically.

I don't know if he would have spent it all on Davis. BUT I do know that a significant amount is deferred, so his footprint is really like $17m. Jones is making $16m (Duquette structured that deal), Ubaldo is making $13m. So, yes, I do think Duquette would spend money on Davis....just not if the money wasn't deferred.

I think that Duquette made it clear that the money offered to Davis was for Davis in a special circumstance. I never heard it said that it was available for other players.

I think that Duquette made it clear that the money offered to Davis was for Davis in a special circumstance. I never heard it said that it was available for other players.

And I get that. I'm just not entirely convinced that Duquette was just a puppet the entire time. And even *if* he was...was he impacted from having a payroll that has increased by more than 20% since he came on?

What is a meaningless homerun? Is a two run homer when you are up two meaningless when you save your closer from getting up? Was Trumbo's HR down 7-0 meaningless? Was Alvarez's down 7-1? Without that comeback Miller pitches on Sunday.

Good post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I get that. I'm just not entirely convinced that Duquette was just a puppet the entire time. And even *if* he was...was he impacted from having a payroll that has increased by more than 20% since he came on?

A lot of raises have been handed out since Duquette came on board, either from arbitration or extensions or resigning former Orioles who reached free agency. I suspect much of that was due to policy from above and not just as a special case for CD. How much of that 20% was eaten up just by trying to keep the team intact I wonder?

A lot of raises have been handed out since Duquette came on board, either from arbitration or extensions or resigning former Orioles who reached free agency. I suspect much of that was due to policy from above and not just as a special case for CD. How much of that 20% was eaten up just by trying to keep the team intact I wonder?

You seriously think Angelos is telling Duquette to extend Jones during his prime, sign O'Day for another 4 years, extend JJ Hardy?

I mean, a glaring example would be Nick Markakis. And where is he? Markakis was Angelos's Greek Golden Child. And now he's playing with the Braves because the Orioles didn't want to give him an extra year because of the concerns surrounding his neck. But if Angelos had so much control...wouldn't he be an O regardless?

I don't buy it.

If you don't know that PA negotiated that contract I don't know where you were last winter, lower slobovia?:rolleyestf:

I happy that you are so sure about something that you nothing about, you'll sleep better that way

Archived