4/29 Rays at O's: battle for first place

PaulFolk

How many times has Ramon thrown it into the outfield? I can only think of one (granted, it was costly). But I also remember a couple times he's actually picked off a runner doing that.

This year? It seems to me he's thrown it into the outfield on those plays at least twice this year and this is the first time he's caught one. Maybe I'm confusing that with all the errant throws on SBs though. It was pretty brutal last year as well. I'm not sure he caught any last year, although I know he did get at least a couple in 2006. The thing is, the way his mechanics have been last year and so far this year it seems like a huge risk to take. He's having a lot of trouble throwing on steal attempts as well. Like Shack said, I'd like to see stats. If you're making errors anywhere near as often as you're getting the guy out, you shouldn't be making the throws at all. I would think you need three pickoffs for every error to make it worth it. Even then, you really have to pick and choose your spots. Ramon does it a lot more than most catchers, even ones with much stronger arms.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see it, so I don't know what happened... but am I to understand that all this fussin' is about what LH did (or didn't do) about cutting off a throw? Do I have that part right? That's what the big deal is?
He wouldn't have had a chance as Markakis was going to third the whole way.

I didn't see it, so I don't know what happened... but am I to understand that all this fussin' is about what LH did (or didn't do) about cutting off a throw? Do I have that part right? That's what the big deal is?

LH didn't cut off the throw from Markakis, and it allowed the runner to move up to 2B. The question is whether it was correct to let the ball go through or not.

You know, if I remember correctly, it looked like LH did try to decoy the cutoff, sort of like what a 1B does for a play at the plate

I can't resist.

1. It was a hit and run with a relatively competent baserunner at first and the ball wasn't hit all that hard. Sam Friggin' Horn coulda made third base on that play.

2. The batter was in no man's land between 1st and 2nd base, right in front of Hernandez, who would have been accepting the throw from the right fielder.

3. There was 1 out and we were up 2-0.

So please, explain to me what I'm missing.

Why would there be a choice if the play is so obvious. Why does Nick not just throw to 2B. Who calls the cut?

Archived