4/29 Rays at O's: battle for first place

PaulFolk

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're making errors anywhere near as often as you're getting the guy out, you shouldn't be making the throws at all. I would think you need three pickoffs for every error to make it worth it.

Is this true? It's frequently said that you need to steal successfully at around a 70% rate to break even. Assuming an error gives the runner one extra base, if the catcher has as many pickoffs as errors, that's like the runner having a 50% success rate in stealing bases. That's already pretty good for the defense.

He didn't hit a grounder. Pop up in no mans land over Roberts shoulder. Brian almost caught it but missed. Jones picked it up and got the force at 2B as the runner was caught in his own no mans land between bases.

OK, thanks...that makes more sense...

Good job Olson!! I hope they show him on Baseball Tonight later on. The last time I got to see him pitch was the O's-BSox game last fall when he left the game injured. I'm glad he's starting off this year healthy and with more success than last year. :)

Yeah, great outing for him. It's too bad about the two runs scoring in the seventh but still a very strong showing.

Archived