Mat Latos DFA'd

bpilktree

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
White Sox have released Latos for all that wanted him in the off season. Here is our chance to pick him up again.

DFA'd

Latos, 28, has been in the Chicago rotation since Opening Day after signing a one-year, $3MM contract this offseason. However, after a brilliant start to his 2016 campaign, he’s fallen into a prolonged slump, thus prompting today’s DFA. Over his first four starts to the season, Latos worked to a pristine 0.74 ERA in 24 1/3 innings. That production, though, was propped up by a clearly unsustainable .167 BABIP and 97 percent strand rate. Beyond that, Latos was sporting a meager 13-to-7 K/BB ratio through that four start run while displaying the lowest average fastball velocity of his career.

Regression for Latos wasn’t exactly difficult to see, though the extent of his decline was nonetheless fairly surprising. Dating back to April 30, Latos has a 7.25 ERA with nearly as many walks (18) as strikeouts (19). His deteriorated heater and diminished ability to miss bats (which are likely related) rendered Latos ineffective for much of the 2015 season, and that looks to have carried over into the 2016 campaign as well.

The Sox will have 10 days to trade Latos, outright him or release him, though even if he clears outright waivers he’d be able to reject an outright assignment and retain the remainder of his $3MM salary (approximately $1.89MM) in favor of testing the waters of free agency.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/06/mat-latos-dfa-white-sox.html

He's been decent this season compared to what we currently have at the bottom of our rotation. He'd be a solid #5 starter for us.

Matt Latos - 2016

W-L: 6-2

ERA: 4.62

IP: 60.1

WHIP: 1.46

See my post from MLBTR

He's been decent this season compared to what we currently have at the bottom of our rotation. He'd be a solid #5 starter for us.

Matt Latos - 2016

W-L: 6-2

ERA: 4.62

IP: 60.1

WHIP: 1.46

Those number are skewed quite a bit by a very good first four starts. After that, he's had a 7.25 ERA in his last seven. He's given up plenty of hits, homers and walked a number of batters.

Could he better than Jimenez moving forward? Maybe. I wouldn't count on it, but Jimenez is just bad enough that it's possible. All in all, I would consider a minor league deal that gives him 6 weeks or so to try and figure it out in Norfolk, but I wouldn't grab him and immediately put him in the big leagues.

I am not saying Latos is the answer, I don't know but in fall fairness sir, you said exactly the same thing about Fister.

If he signs a minor league deal, you sign him.

I said I did not want Fister. I was Wrong.

I wanted Latos I was wrong. In all fairness. Also, Fister would never have come to Baltimore on a one year make good deal, so it's kinda moot.

Those number are skewed quite a bit by a very good first four starts. After that, he's had a 7.25 ERA in his last seven. He's given up plenty of hits, homers and walked a number of batters.

Could he better than Jimenez moving forward? Maybe. I wouldn't count on it, but Jimenez is just bad enough that it's possible. All in all, I would consider a minor league deal that gives him 6 weeks or so to try and figure it out in Norfolk, but I wouldn't grab him and immediately put him in the big leagues.

Right now, you trade them something and assume all of the contract and put him directly into the rotation. In ten days, maybe not.

and now they have Shields for a bunch of money

For all my disdain for some of DD's FA signings and trades, whoever is running the show in Chicago is way worse

His name is Kenny Williams. He was Toronto's first choice as president before Jerry M. Reinsdorf refused them and blew the whistle on Big Ed Rogers.

Archived