2016 17th Round Pick - Tyler Blohm - LHP - Archbishop Spalding HS

Any chance we actually sign him? What would it take? 1M?

I know we have a couple of senior signs, but we tend to negotiate poorly and give it all to our top pick. Maybe we play hardball with our #1 guy this year since he likely won't even pitch this season for us.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we have a couple of senior signs, but we tend to negotiate poorly and give it all to our top pick. Maybe we play hardball with our #1 guy this year since he likely won't even pitch this season for us.

I don't think we will have the money to sign him. Probably would take at least 500K and I don't think the Orioles will have that kind of money left over.

I don't think we will have the money to sign him. Probably would take at least 500K and I don't think the Orioles will have that kind of money left over.

I've read on another board from someone who's son played with Blohm that the Orioles were negotiating with Blohm to be their 5th round pick. They were offering him 500k at that spot, but he wasn't willing to sign for that number. So the Orioles decided to take him in the 17th and put the same 500k offer out there to see if he'd really turn it down. Also hearing that the offer was "sweetened", but don't know how or by how much.

I can't say if the information is correct or not, but I do know for a fact that the source is the father of a teammate of Blohm.

I've read on another board from someone who's son played with Blohm that the Orioles were negotiating with Blohm to be their 5th round pick. They were offering him 500k at that spot, but he wasn't willing to sign for that number. So the Orioles decided to take him in the 17th and put the same 500k offer out there to see if he'd really turn it down. Also hearing that the offer was "sweetened", but don't know how or by how much.

I can't say if the information is correct or not, but I do know for a fact that the source is the father of a teammate of Blohm.

That sounds about right. He's about a 500K talent right now. His fastball only sits in the upper 80's and although you can expect some velocity improvements, it's going to be hard for his to command more than that at this point. That's why he fell to the 17th round.

For his part, he's thinking I get three years of college at a great University that local to home so my family and friends can come watch, I don't have to take on the grind of a minor league season, and if my velocity spikes a few MPH and I can consistently sit in the low 90's, I could have a chance at a bigger signing bonus in three years.

It will really come down to how much he wants to go to school vs getting professional coaching and being a pro baseball player. It's an individual decision for each young man to make, and there's not a wrong answer.

Hmm, can you state an example where that's true, because honestly, when it comes to Amateur players, the Orioles do a pretty good job of getting kids into the system, especially now with the draft pool money as part of it all.

Hmm, can you state an example where that's true, because honestly, when it comes to Amateur players, the Orioles do a pretty good job of getting kids into the system, especially now with the draft pool money as part of it all.

The first year under the new system they did give all their saving to Gausman.

I don't think it has happened again.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's draft pick Tyler Blohm is among those playing in 35th annual Brooks Robinson H.S. All-Star game Sunday at OPACY. <a href="https://t.co/xOn99HquCf">pic.twitter.com/xOn99HquCf</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">June 16, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When you are a number four pick, and a draft eligible sophomore... You might have some leverage.

When you're the #4 pick you have a lot further to fall than to climb. More understandable for a lower pick in the 1st Round to play hardball.

Anyway we took Blohm just to throw the hometown Terps a bone. Meaning we snagged him so other teams that have bigger pools couldn't blow him away with an offer? It's the 17th round. Teams start getting "cute" with their picks.

I'm a terps fan too. Don't really follow their baseball team but I'd appreciate that move.

Anyway we took Blohm just to throw the hometown Terps a bone. Meaning we snagged him so other teams that have bigger pools couldn't blow him away with an offer? It's the 17th round. Teams start getting "cute" with their picks.

I'm a terps fan too. Don't really follow their baseball team but I'd appreciate that move.

I don't think that this is really the case. More likely that the O's took a flier with the pick in case he has a change of heart. Maryland's coach could get hired by another college. There are reasons why a kid with a firm commitment might change his mind. Sure it might help make some Terps fans happy by helping the Terps land him, but I do not believe that is the primary reason for the pick.

• 3 weeks later...

If we sign Palmeiro for slot. Don't give Bonilla more than 100k. That leaves about 492,455 to get to 105% of our pool. So we could offer Blohm or another guy up to $592,455 to sign. The O's have shown they'll spend all the pool money in the past, and on overslots in the 11-40 range.

That would essentially be like giving him between 3rd/4th rd money. Would he do it? Is he worth is?

If we sign Palmeiro for slot. Don't give Bonilla more than 100k. That leaves about 492,455 to get to 105% of our pool. So we could offer Blohm or another guy up to $592,455 to sign. The O's have shown they'll spend all the pool money in the past, and on overslots in the 11-40 range.

That would essentially be like giving him between 3rd/4th rd money. Would he do it? Is he worth is?

You pay 100% penalty on the overage.

Archived