2016 17th Round Pick - Tyler Blohm - LHP - Archbishop Spalding HS

So he just blew a 17th round pick as a sign of respect?

Or did he take him with no intention of signing him to keep someone like the Braves from coming in with a big money offer?

I guess he thinks they will have plenty of pool money in three years. ;)

Really? What do you think you are doing in the 17th round? From the 15th-20th round you are normally taking a few fliers like this because the only left are low-ceiling high school guys, senior (occasionally junior) low ceiling guys, or the junior college guy that might have slipped through the cracks. Nothing wrong with taking a flier on Blohm here. He's most likely going to college but just maybe the Orioles end up with some extra money and maybe he decides to give pro ball a shot.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? What do you think you are doing in the 17th round? From the 15th-20th round you are normally taking a few fliers like this because the only left are low-ceiling high school guys, senior (occasionally junior) low ceiling guys, or the junior college guy that might have slipped through the cracks. Nothing wrong with taking a flier on Blohm here. He's most likely going to college but just maybe the Orioles end up with some extra money and maybe he decides to give pro ball a shot.

Tony, he admitted he took him early.

And yes, I would not be surprised if part of the thinking was to block other teams from selecting him.

That being said I hope they find the money to sign the kid, but it would have been a lot easier with two more first round picks and the second round pick they sold.

Tony, he admitted he took him early.

And yes, I would not be surprised if part of the thinking was to block other teams from selecting him.

That being said I hope they find the money to sign the kid, but it would have been a lot easier with two more first round picks and the second round pick they sold.

Right, but you said he "wasted" a 17th rd pick. My point was, at that point in the draft, there's not really a wasted pick. Taking a flier on a Blohm is just as good as drafted the Friday night pitcher for Blomberg State who's 21-years old and has the upside of a middle reliever.

Right, but you said he "wasted" a 17th rd pick. My point was, at that point in the draft, there's not really a wasted pick. Taking a flier on a Blohm is just as good as drafted the Friday night pitcher for Blomberg State who's 21-years old and has the upside of a middle reliever.

I guess that, considering how excited folks were over the pair of former 16th round picks Dan picked up when he sold the pick, I thought 17th was early to be burning picks in such a fashion.

If you say it's fine, I think it's fine.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerProfile.aspx?ID=414215

LH HS pitcher from Millersville, MD drafted in the late teen rounds. Remind us of anyone? :P

I know who you're thinking of, but the guy Blohm reminds me of is Cameron Coffey, with that big overhand breaking ball. Everyone made a big deal out of Coffey allegedly touching 98 with the fastball before all the injuries, but to me, the most impressive part of the package was that curve. Even when he was sitting at 83 after the injuries, Coffey's curve was a sight to behold. If Blohm signs and can stay healthy, we might see something like what Coffey could have been.

I guess that, considering how excited folks were over the pair of former 16th round picks Dan picked up when he sold the pick, I thought 17th was early to be burning picks in such a fashion.

If you say it's fine, I think it's fine.

Just to help you out. Once a 16th round pick muddles through the first two or three Milb hurdles and some of the second and third round picks are busted for drugs of abuse, they are no longer really 16th round picks. They've been extruded.

I know who you're thinking of, but the guy Blohm reminds me of is Cameron Coffey, with that big overhand breaking ball. Everyone made a big deal out of Coffey allegedly touching 98 with the fastball before all the injuries, but to me, the most impressive part of the package was that curve. Even when he was sitting at 83 after the injuries, Coffey's curve was a sight to behold. If Blohm signs and can stay healthy, we might see something like what Coffey could have been.

I thought Coffey was a fb/ch guy??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Its too bad he couldn't stay healthy/effective post-surgery

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The velocity disappeared. I saw him a lot at Aberdeen in 2012 and he had major league quality movement but the FB was sitting 83-84. Even NYPL hitters are going to hit that if the location is anything less than perfect.

The velocity disappeared. I saw him a lot at Aberdeen in 2012 and he had major league quality movement but the FB was sitting 83-84. Even NYPL hitters are going to hit that if the location is anything less than perfect.

I remember being surprised no one suggested he redo his TJ surgery.

To this day I don't know if I was underestimating the folks here or if he was just low profile enough not to attract enough attention.

I was excited for the pick.

I remember being surprised no one suggested he redo his TJ surgery.

To this day I don't know if I was underestimating the folks here or if he was just low profile enough not to attract enough attention.

I was excited for the pick.

I think he had shoulder problems the year after he was drafted and that was ultimately what did him in, not the elbow. All I can find from a cursory google search is a BA article indicating he was hoping to "put elbow and shoulder injuries behind him."

I also loved the pick at the time. I liked a fair few of the '09 picks at the time. Turned out two of the ones I liked the least are the only two that made the majors as Orioles. I did like Ty Kelly I guess.

I think he had shoulder problems the year after he was drafted and that was ultimately what did him in, not the elbow. All I can find from a cursory google search is a BA article indicating he was hoping to "put elbow and shoulder injuries behind him."

I also loved the pick at the time. I liked a fair few of the '09 picks at the time. Turned out two of the ones I liked the least are the only two that made the majors as Orioles. I did like Ty Kelly I guess.

Didn't like Givens eh?

We all know what pick I really disliked.

Didn't like Givens eh?

We all know what pick I really disliked.

As a shortstop, I did not like Givens. I guess I wasn't wrong on that front. Ashur Tolliver, now there's one where I was dead wrong.

Archived