The Dreadful 6th Inning

hutchead

Tired of this patch it together baloney. We need starting pitching desperately so let's go get it! Make it happen Duquette!
l

Last time he tried, he signed a guy with a bum shoulder who can barely hit 90 and cost us the 14th overall draft pick. Be careful what you wish for.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the sixth is our worst inning. We've allowed 50 runs in 61 games. 0.82 6th-inning runs per game. That's real bad. Through Friday, the league was averaging 0.52 per in that inning.

I would have thought the 6th was the worst for the whole league, but actually the first is a little worse (0.57 allowed). The first is the O's second-worst inning (0.62). On the bright side the team is stellar in the 8th and 9th--way above league average.

We need some good middle relievers--do they even make them anymore? They need to. Bundy and Givens (when O'Day returns) need to be ready to give us 2 every time Wright, Ubaldo, and Wilson pitch. They probably can't cover that so you might have to leave one of those guys out there to take an occasional beating. But Buck's gonna have to be quicker with the hook once he gets the pen back to full strength. If that requires cranking up the Norfolk shuttle or whatever, make it work because this is getting brutal

One of the worst games buck has ever managed. Every move he made backfired including the moves he didn't make (pulling wright earlier, pinch hitting wieters etc)

He really played to lose the game instead of playing to win. We left done bullets in the gun which I hate.

Matt can't catch two innings? Really?

It almost seemed like Buck was conceding this game whilevinsuring that no good bullpen arm was used. I was stunned that he kept Wright in the game.

After the game Wright had some interesting comments on Encarnacion. "He?s one of the best hitters I think I?ve faced. He?s really good but he?s also got holes. There?s a reason he?s batting .240. I think we give him too much credit." Really? "Too much credit"? Encarnacion, went 3 for 3 with 2 walks and 5 RBI's yesterday including an RBI double off of Wright. The same Wright who is the proud owner of a 5.31 ERA.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-recap-birds-second-comeback-attempt-foiled-in-11-6-loss-to-blue-jays-20160611-story.html

On a side note, it seemed pretty obvious Jays pitcher Jason Grilli is thrilled to death to be out of Atlanta and playing with a team that could be a post season candidate. His reaction after striking out Alvarez, Rickard and Machado to end the game said it all about being traded out of baseball purgatory. He said he watched and idolized the Jays as a kid and his father Steve also played for the Jays. I guess there isn't a lot to be excited about in Bravesville.

Just because Vanimal is piggybacking Ubaldo doesn't mean he pitches once a week, same with Bundy and TJ.

The way it tends to be working now is one of those guys enters the game after 5 1/3 with two runners on. Is that somehow better than just pulling them after five?

Couldn't agree more.

They collect marginal players and Rule 5ers for a reason, they should take what they can get out of their bad starters and rely heavily on a rotating cast of spot starters and longmen. Just pull them, use your Bundys and MacFarlands, figure out who is half decent and who can be released. That's the 25th man strategy that has given them such a huge advantage over the last 4 years. Flexibility baby.

The solution is easy, stop trying to get six innings out of starters that were lucky to get through five.

Problem solved.

Yeah right - what fantasy baseball world do you live in where employing your strategy wouldn't wear out the pen in short order? Gimme a break / these bullpen guys don't have rubber arms and once worn out could become as hittable as our starters or go on DL with arm issues!

Today, one of our good relievers (Givens) comes in to start the sixth, walks two, and throws a gopher ball to Russell Martin.

Didn't see the game today as I went to a movie but the entire series they pitched like they were scared to fear of Russell Martin frequently getting way behind in the count pitching like he was the most dangerous hitter on the team with his 200 BA! It doesn't surprise me at all they let him beat them as the way they pitch him is flat out stupid. They pitched more ahead in counts to Encarcien and Donaldson than they did Martin, from what I saw of the series.

Yeah right - what fantasy baseball world do you live in where employing your strategy wouldn't wear out the pen in short order? Gimme a break / these bullpen guys don't have rubber arms and once worn out could become as hittable as our starters or go on DL with arm issues!

The same one that the Cubs were in last season when they followed the same basic strategy.

Up to .68 runs per game allowed in the first vs. .57 for the league. Now giving up .85 in the sixth vs. .52 for the league.

The Orioles' sixth is the second-worst inning for any team in the league. Only the Red Sox first is worse (.98). The Sox are also giving up .85 in the sixth.

The same one that the Cubs were in last season when they followed the same basic strategy.

You may get by for a month or so but over a full season that is asking for trouble. Cubs haven't won much in years so maybe they were desparate and willing to risk it, but unwise.

They won 97 regular season games last year.

I know the Cubs won a lot of games last year but you are totally missing the point as it is a terrible strain on any bullpen arms to do that. They were fortunate to get away with it but not smart unless you don't care about the pitchers in your pen as in viewing them as disposable assets who can easily be replaced by minor league callups. Billy Martin once had success using a 4 man rotation pitching his starters in shirt rest and Oakland won a lot of games but he ended up being fired as he ruined their arms!

Archived