SERIOUSLY...Tell me your thoughts (Starting Pitching)

Bumps49

I think that we can all agree that the starting pitching is a mess. Tillman seems to be coming around a bit and Gaussman could be OK with some run support. Why don't we take a flyer and sign Cliff Lee and/or Mark Buehrle to some kind of contract that would not break the bank if they fail. They could even be in the bullpen if need be. Please, let me have it with both barrels if you wish. I have been thinking this over for a long time and I just don't see what harm it could do. And maybe they might surprise us with some needed pitching help.:)

I think that we can all agree that the starting pitching is a mess. Tillman seems to be coming around a bit and Gaussman could be OK with some run support. Why don't we take a flyer and sign Cliff Lee and/or Mark Buehrle to some kind of contract that would not break the bank if they fail. They could even be in the bullpen if need be. Please, let me have it with both barrels if you wish. I have been thinking this over for a long time and I just don't see what harm it could do. And maybe they might surprise us with some needed pitching help.:)

Cliff Lee at 37 and 18 months away from the game?

Think we're stuck with what we've got barring a trade. And I'd prefer we don't further mortgage the farm for middling starters or guys who don't move the needle much.

Hopefully the last month of strength training, cortisone shots and possibly wakeup calls fix Gallardo's strikeout rate and hit rate, because if not he's cooked.

If Gallardo can turn into a #3 (or a #4 at worst), the rotation gets better. Not much better, but better. After that? It's really picking 2 of Wilson, Wright and Despaigne because there's no depth in the minors.

Why don't we take a flyer and sign Cliff Lee and/or Mark Buehrle to some kind of contract that would not break the bank if they fail. They could even be in the bullpen if need be. Please, let me have it with both barrels if you wish. I have been thinking this over for a long time and I just don't see what harm it could do. And maybe they might surprise us with some needed pitching help.:)

In fighting for a playoff spot, I struggle to see how you think this would work. By this logic call Wandy Rodriguez up and see how he does.

My thoughts:

(a) Cliff Lee is done. He is not trying to come back and we will be hearing of his retirement soon. Nothing to see there.

(b) Buehrle is another thing -- he is clearly keeping his option open to latch on to a contending team while not having to pitch a full season. And he will be in demand, I think. He is the type of Jamie Moyer-esque left handed pitcher that can last more years. I would be communicating with him for sure, but the question is in his commitment.

© First thing's first, we need to see what the rehabbed Yovani Gallardo looks like.

The O's are not the only team looking for pitching.

Why would a pitcher like Buehrle pick the O's over the other suitors?

Why wouldn't he? A probable open rotation slot, in 1st place, a team that could win it all with some decent starting pitching, etc. As always, it'll come down to who's offering the most money.

Archived