Clancy!

bobmc

750x422

ICYMI - saw this earlier but failed to post . Very interesting guy!

But when the Orioles clinched the pennant at home, he felt like he was part of the team.

?I made my way out to the dugout and Adam Jones called me out on the field and said ?Clancy, get down here, you are a part of Baltimore?,? he recalled. ?I got down there and I had on my brand new Orioles sweatshirt and all of them started pouring beer all over me. They soaked my hat, soaked my shirt and everything. They were pouring beer on everybody.?

"He was an All-American sprinter at Catonsville Community College when he finished sixth in the nation in the 300 meters indoors.

He transferred to Eastern Kentucky University in 1980 and earned the nickname ?Clancy? based on one of the top sprinters in the country, Clancy Edwards, of the University of Southern California."

?My very first day at work, I made eight dollars and 25 cents, but guess what? I kept working,? said Clancy, who is now vice president of All-Pro Vending.

Along with president David McDonald, they have the vending contracts for M&T Bank Stadium and Navy Marine-Corps Memorial Stadium."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/catonsville/ph-ca-at-clancy-beer-vendor-story.html

Do the ushers and hawkers ever get into conflict w each other? It usually looks like the latter cd handle about 4-5 of the former (while tossing bags of peanuts down the row with the other hand).

Do the ushers and hawkers ever get into conflict w each other? It usually looks like the latter cd handle about 4-5 of the former (while tossing bags of peanuts down the row with the other hand).

Usher-hawker conflicts are exceedingly rare. (Hawker-on-hawker disputes are somewhat less rare.) And while your 4-5 estimate sounds low, the concept is intriguing.

640_shaq_wwe_2016_04_04_12_15_10.jpg

Clancy's cool with a big crowd, but on a weekday game with 14 thousand people, his act wears thin. Almost carny like. Somewhat a crybaby.

I get it. Your money depends on you selling beer. Which is awesome on the weekends and then slow at during the weeks. Vendors are like bartenders/servers, they're supposed to be background people, not the people. But I guess baseball is boring to the casual fan and they find his act entertaining. Again with big crowds he's cool.

• 3 months later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NationalDrinkBeerDay?src=hash">#NationalDrinkBeerDay</a> <a href="https://t.co/XrRAHZfbjs">pic.twitter.com/XrRAHZfbjs</a></p>— Sporting News MLB (@SN_Baseball) <a href="

">September 28, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Clancy's cool with a big crowd, but on a weekday game with 14 thousand people, his act wears thin. Almost carny like. Somewhat a crybaby.

I get it. Your money depends on you selling beer. Which is awesome on the weekends and then slow at during the weeks. Vendors are like bartenders/servers, they're supposed to be background people, not the people. But I guess baseball is boring to the casual fan and they find his act entertaining. Again with big crowds he's cool.

I sat around him a couple times recently.....I agree with what you're saying, but at the same time, I bet he makes more than probably any other beer guy (on any night) because of it, so he's just doing what he knows is proven.

How long has this guy been there? I know he's been there for YEARS. Wait....nevermind....just read the article. Sounds like he's been there since Memorial Stadium.

I'm sure most of you remember the "lemonade shaking guy".......

I sat around him a couple times recently.....I agree with what you're saying, but at the same time, I bet he makes more than probably any other beer guy (on any night) because of it, so he's just doing what he knows is proven.

How long has this guy been there? I know he's been there for YEARS. Wait....nevermind....just read the article. Sounds like he's been there since Memorial Stadium.

I'm sure most of you remember the "lemonade shaking guy".......

I was at two games recently and feel somewhat similarly. While he is cloying at times, he knows who his supporters are. He totally busts his butt all game going to many sections. He brings special deliveries to "his regulars", leaving beers in coozies, taking spent cans away and doesn't get paid at that moment. After one game he came down flashing two $100 bills saying thanks to all and some even tipped him again afterwards.

btw - if you look at photo above in first post, I was sitting on the aisle on the right about ten rows from field. Manny was going into the dugout with last ball played. He tossed it over two sections and hundreds of waving hands to my hand, which held and did not drop the missile. Awesome!

14368743_10210428263053479_1334805241652317868_n.jpg?oh=f1b91a0bf365e515b3753ccc0ee455f9&oe=587DCBCF

Archived