Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

11 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Well...the scoreless streak is over as he gave up 5 R (4 earned) in 5 IP tonight. Gave up 7 hits, including two homers, with 5 K's. No walks though again, which is amazing. 

Too bad. But I saw a couple Davies starts that were poor a Double A  and he certainly came through it fine. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twin bro Lachlan Wells was rated higher when they came over to the US.  While Alex' stats are better, when comparing them, we should keep in mind that Lachlan's playing at high A FSL.  I think the O's have been smarter by taking it slower.  It'll be interesting to compare their progresses in the coming years.  

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Twin bro Lachlan Wells was rated higher when they came over to the US.  While Alex' stats are better, when comparing them, we should keep in mind that Lachlan's playing at high A FSL.  I think the O's have been smarter by taking it slower.  It'll be interesting to compare their progresses in the coming years.  

Lachlan was signed a year before Alex, which is the main reason he's progressed to a higher level.  The Twins have been cautious with his innings, only starting him 12 times last year and 13 times (plus one relief outing) so far this year.   Alex started 13 times last year and 21 times so far this season.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Lachlan was signed a year before Alex, which is the main reason he's progressed to a higher level.  The Twins have been cautious with his innings, only starting him 12 times last year and 13 times (plus one relief outing) so far this year.   Alex started 13 times last year and 21 times so far this season.

What does limiting Lachlan's innings got to do with anything?

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It's implying that the O's haven't been taking it slower with their Wells and that the difference in level is just a product of pro experience.

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

It was just an observation.    In any event, I looked him up and it appears he's injured right now, and hasn't pitched since June 29. So forget what I wrote about the Twins limiting his innings, he's just hurt (not sure what).   

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yet another stellar, walkless performance tonight -- 6 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 0 BB, 6 K's.      He only threw 63 pitches, 48 for strikes.    

I'm waiting for the game when he throws 100% strikes.   

That's 8 straight games without a walk - over 64 innings.  10 walks in 125 innings for the season.  10.2 SO/W ratio for the season.  

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yet another stellar, walkless performance tonight -- 6 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 0 BB, 6 K's.      He only threw 63 pitches, 48 for strikes.    

I'm waiting for the game when he throws 100% strikes.   

Not even a pitch limit can prevent this guy from going 6. I believe he hadn't already added 60 IP to hit total from last year that he'd have been promoted. I don't think they wanted to push a guy that might be a bit "tired."  

Hes going to finish this year with 150ish IP. That's impressive. Next year will be the year we can get agressive with him. 

Would they consider just starting him in Bowie?

I would not start him in Bowie.   We saw a lot of guys struggle this year making the transition from Delmarva to Frederick.    Especially for a guy without overwhelming stuff, I think we need to go one step at a time.    But, a fairly early promotion to Bowie could be considered if he starts strong next year.      

It's obvious they are being very careful with his innings now.   They've pulled him a few times when he was sailing along throwing 10-12 pitches per inning, last night being the most extreme example so far.   My guess is he'll make 4 more starts and fall just short of 150 IP.

Yeah, I would not rush a 20 year old finesse pitcher to AA.  He'll make his Frederick debut soon after turning 21, and if he does real well there, then consider a mid season promotion to Bowie.  It helps that his twin's ahead of him in that it gives you a rough idea of what to expect from Alex at the next level.           

45 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It helps that his twin's ahead of him in that it gives you a rough idea of what to expect from Alex at the next level.           

But our minor league pitching instruction is so far superior to other teams', you really can't judge much by what Lachlan does.   :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But our minor league pitching instruction is so far superior to other teams', you really can't judge much by what Lachlan does.   :rolleyes:

I need to check the batteries on my sarcasm detector here.  They use green font on the basketball site I visit.  But indeed, there were significant disappointments on the Frederick pitcher development front this season that should be addressed by the organization.  

Archived