Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much lower was the average velocity and the K/9 rates when MeGregor pitched?

I don't know average velocity, but in McGregor's best season (1980) the average K/9 was 4.8.  This season (2017) the average K/9 was 8.3.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don't know average velocity, but in McGregor's best season (1980) the average K/9 was 4.8.  This season (2017) the average K/9 was 8.3.

Yep, it is really hard to compare pitchers of the two eras.  BTW MeGregor had a below average K rate in 80 at 4.3.

Doesn't that average K/9 rate have being as high as it is now have a great deal to do with the hitters' approach today vs. the hitters' approach in 1980?  IOW, how much can be attributed to pitchers throwing harder or having better "stuff" and batters selling out for power over contact?

14 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Doesn't that average K/9 rate have being as high as it is now have a great deal to do with the hitters' approach today vs. the hitters' approach in 1980?  IOW, how much can be attributed to pitchers throwing harder or having better "stuff" and batters selling out for power over contact?

I'm sure there are a number of factors.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, it is really hard to compare pitchers of the two eras.  BTW MeGregor had a below average K rate in 80 at 4.3.

Totally agree. Basically impossible to compare pitchers. The strike zone is so much smaller and the hitters are bigger and swing away. The small strike zone, though, is probably the key reason it is a lot harder to live with a weak fastball in today's game IMO. God help the pitcher that has to throw an 88 mph fastball for a strike when everyone knows it's coming.  I am rooting hard for Wells and I hope he makes it. It would be really fun. 

On 10/4/2017 at 8:43 AM, Frobby said:

Nope, not kidding.   See Kyle Hendricks, Josh Tomlin, Jason Vargas.    Lower velocity like that decreases your odds, but it doesn't make it impossible if you have other things going for you.    

Last night, Hendricks got the Game 1 NLDS for the Cubs and pitched 7 innings of shutout ball.   His fastball averaged 88.4 mph, and he hit 90 mph only twice, topping out at 90.4.

Meanwhile, in the ALDS, Tomlin was the winning pitcher after throwing 2 shutout innings in relief,  averaging 88.8 and topping out at 89.1.  Of course, he only bothered throwing 3 four-seam fastballs, mixing them in with 10 75 mph curve balls and 5 86.6 mph cutters.  

• 9 months later...
14 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Alex Wells on Futures Game Honor, and His Move to Advanced-A Frederick This Year

(By Steve Melewski)

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/alex-wells-on-futures-game-honor-and-his-move-to-frederick-this-year.html

o

Holy crap, if you ever want to read knuckleheads discuss the Orioles, read the comments section in this blog. Makes me happy to be able to read this message board. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Holy crap, if you ever want to read knuckleheads discuss the Orioles, read the comments section in this blog. Makes me happy to be able to read this message board. 

Like that Steve Melewski guy referencing the record of the Orioles Dominican league team team.  ?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Pitched to two batters in the futures game.   The first hit a long fly ball caught at the fence.    The second struck out looking on a nice sneaky fastball on the inside corner.   

Lol there were A LOT of long fly balls in that game.  The ball was really flying in DC today 

• 2 weeks later...

7 IP, 8 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 SO today against a pretty strong WS offense. Control and command must have been really on and when that’s the case he seems to always be incredibly efficient. ERA down to 3.69 FWIW

Archived