Alex Wells

Fred Manfraud

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Well, we have 3 or 4 starters in Frederick who don't look like they belong there, so I wouldn't mind giving him his shot.

I think with pitching prospects it's best to determine what their best development path is and following that, regardless of how other pitchers in the organization are doing.     I see Wells as closely analogous to Zach Davies, another command guy with an underwhelming fastball.    Davies had success at every minor league level, but we were patient with him and took it one level at a time.    I think that's the best approach for Wells.    He's actually been a little less effective each month as the year has progressed, so I'm not eager to push him. 

Another decent outing by Wells.

6.0 IP, 7 hits (1 homer), 3 runs (all earned), 0 walks, 7 strikes outs and 67 of his 89 pitches were strikes. Had 6 ground outs to 2 fly outs.

Wells has been consistent on going atleast 6 innings and having little to no walks, with a few strikes outs in there, but he has allowed a home run in almost every start lately. This one was to the second batter he faced.Hitters in Delmarva aren't being fooled the same way he bamboozled the Aberdeen crowd last season. 

o

7 innings of shutout ball.

0 Walks, 5 Strikeouts.

He only needed 65 pitches to get through the first 6 innings.

21 OUTS: 8 Flyouts, 7 Groundouts, 5 Strikeouts, 1 Lineout

ALEXANDER JAMES WELLS )))))) (vs. Regular-A Lakewood, 7/05)

IP:lllll7

H:lllllll3 ll(1 Triple, 1 Double, 1 Single)

R:lllllll0

BB:llll0

SO:llll5

Pitches: l)l l86 )(56 )Strikes, )30 Balls)

2017 ERA: l) 2.90 )l(Regular-A Delmarva)

2017 WHIP: l) 1.067 )l(Regular-A Delmarva) )  90.00 IP (96 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l) .244 )l(Regular-A Delmarva) )  86 for 352

PITCHES BY INNING

12 ll(81 llStrikes, ll 4 llllBalls)

11 ll(81 llStrikes, . 3 lllBalls)

11 ll(71 llStrikes, ll 4 lllBalls)

81 ll(61 llStrikes, ll 2 lllBalls)

11 ll(71 llStrikes, ll 4 lllBalls)

12 ll(61 llStrikes, ll 6 lllBalls)

21 l.(14 lllStrikes, . 7 lllBalls)

o

On 7/5/2017 at 11:01 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Hopefully, this was his "Corner-turning" start. He hasn't had "horrible" starts lately, but his home run streak was a bit eyebrow raising. 

o

I'm excited ........ partly because of Wells' progress, and partly out of desperation for hope (due to of the Orioles' current starting pitching corps.)

o

Archived