What if Gallardo Still Sucks?

Bahama O's Fan

I'll take 5IP 2ER every fifth day for the rest of the season.
From the #5 sure. Still need something from the #4 spot, unless the Orioles are only using 4 starters.

I'd take that from the #2 if the bullpen were just a little deeper. Think of it as 5 innings plus 2 Bundy innings every 5th day.

If Gallardo can give them 5-6 innings and 3 runs or less, I'll take it. He's done that in both starts. He struggled in the first against TB, but induced a big DP and looked pretty good from that moment on. I'm more worried about what we'll get from Gausman.

If Gallardo can give them 5-6 innings and 3 runs or less, I'll take it. He's done that in both starts. He struggled in the first against TB, but induced a big DP and looked pretty good from that moment on. I'm more worried about what we'll get from Gausman.

My main worry with Gallardo are all the baserunners. He had 9 through 5 1/3 yesterday. That was very much in line with what he was doing pre-injury. Also, his velocity was barely hitting 90 again. His first start back from the DL he was at least hitting 91-92.

I'm actually less concerned w/ Gausman. Gausman's issue is pitch repertoire and sequencing, not execution (well, aside from a hanging curve). If he can start throwing his splitter and 2 seamer more, I think he'll be fine.

A 4 seamer in the upper 90s with a mid 90s 2 seamer coupled with his change, split and a curve will do him just fine. The curveball is his problem, of course.

I think he's just throwing way too many 4 seamers. I don't care if you pump it up to 100+. MLB hitters can catch up with it. He needs to throw those other pitches *for strikes*. The problem is Gausman will throw his split/change on 0-0 and it'll be out of the strike zone. Then he'll go to throwing his FB and hitters just sit on it. He'll get away with his curve *sometimes* when batters aren't expecting. But it hangs far too often.

I really think he needs to throw is 2 seamer more in situations where he's getting a lot of foul balls or not controlling his 4 seamer. It'll bridge the gap for now until he can continue working on his curve (and not when the game is close like he's doing).

I know that's a lot of rambling, but Gausman is a better pitcher than Gallardo...even if he's more of a thrower at this point.

My main worry with Gallardo are all the baserunners. He had 9 through 5 1/3 yesterday. That was very much in line with what he was doing pre-injury. Also, his velocity was barely hitting 90 again. His first start back from the DL he was at least hitting 91-92.

I'm actually less concerned w/ Gausman. Gausman's issue is pitch repertoire and sequencing, not execution (well, aside from a hanging curve). If he can start throwing his splitter and 2 seamer more, I think he'll be fine.

A 4 seamer in the upper 90s with a mid 90s 2 seamer coupled with his change, split and a curve will do him just fine. The curveball is his problem, of course.

I think he's just throwing way too many 4 seamers. I don't care if you pump it up to 100+. MLB hitters can catch up with it. He needs to throw those other pitches *for strikes*. The problem is Gausman will throw his split/change on 0-0 and it'll be out of the strike zone. Then he'll go to throwing his FB and hitters just sit on it. He'll get away with his curve *sometimes* when batters aren't expecting. But it hangs far too often.

I really think he needs to throw is 2 seamer more in situations where he's getting a lot of foul balls or not controlling his 4 seamer. It'll bridge the gap for now until he can continue working on his curve (and not when the game is close like he's doing).

I know that's a lot of rambling, but Gausman is a better pitcher than Gallardo...even if he's more of a thrower at this point.

I think Gausman's potential is way higher than Gallardo. But even before Gallardos injury, my expectations were around him being a 6 inning pitcher and give up 3 or 4 runs. Gausman imo has taken a step back. He can't command any of his secondary pitches on a consistent bases. He and Mike Wright are having the same issues. Luckily for Gausman, his pure stuff is better than Wrights.

Gausman is a better pitcher than Gallardo...even if he's more of a thrower at this point.

By this statement at the end of your "Rambling" would indicate that you understand that Gausman is not a pitcher in the sense that he has a clue of how to be effective at the MLB Level. He does have better overall "STUFF" but unlike Gallardo, he does not know how to use it.

By this statement at the end of your "Rambling" would indicate that you understand that Gausman is not a pitcher in the sense that he has a clue of how to be effective at the MLB Level. He does have better overall "STUFF" but unlike Gallardo, he does not know how to use it.

No, I'm making a quip that Gausman's stuff and even his current method make him a better pitcher than a guy like Gallardo who has only 2-3 mph differentiation from his 4 seamer, 2 seamer, change and slider. The only pitch Gallardo throws that is a buckler is his curveball. But it does hang far too often.

My point is this very basic formula (stuff + pitchability).

Gausman:

Stuff: 7 out of 10

Pitchability: 5 out of 10

Gallardo

Stuff: 4 out of 10

Pitchability: 6 out of 10

...and then when we start talking about growth, Gausman can grow both stuff and pitchability. Gallardo is capped where he is now. He's not going to magically gain any better pitches. He now has health issues. He's faced *2* teams and has allowed 18 baserunners in only 10 1/3 IP. He's more lucky than good at this point. Those might change as he gets the rust off of it. But I'm more optimistic w/ Gausman than Gallardo.

Like Jake Arrieta? You mean he will have to go somewhere else to unleash the beast?

Like Jake Arrieta? You mean he will have to go somewhere else to unleash the beast?

Because of a "Win Now" fan base mentality Kevin Gausman, like Jake Arrieta, never "DOMINATED" all the levels of the minors. Both had/are learning at the MLB Level where mistakes go a long way and batters will take more walks. I was trying to make the point that for all his age and warts, Gallardo is a better "PITCHER" than is Gausman but overall the ceiling on Gausman is higher because of his "STUFF". If Gallardo had Gausman's "STUFF" he would dominate but on the other hand if Gausman had Gallardo's "STUFF" he would be DFA'd. Ability versus inexperience.

Because of a "Win Now" fan base mentality Kevin Gausman, like Jake Arrieta, never "DOMINATED" all the levels of the minors. Both had/are learning at the MLB Level where mistakes go a long way and batters will take more walks. I was trying to make the point that for all his age and warts, Gallardo is a better "PITCHER" than is Gausman but overall the ceiling on Gausman is higher because of his "STUFF". If Gallardo had Gausman's "STUFF" he would dominate but on the other hand if Gausman had Gallardo's "STUFF" he would be DFA'd. Ability versus inexperience.

Obviously the outing that Kevin is having against the Rays vs. Gallardo's speaks volumes.

But my point still remains. Gallardo is not a better pitcher than Gausman. Gallardo isn't as much of a thrower than Gausman, but that's because Gallardo has nothing to really throw. He barely hits 90. All of his breaking pitches outside of his curveball is nearly the same speed as his 4 seamer. He allows a ton of baserunners and a lot of hard hit balls.

I mean, Gallardo has a walk rate in line with his SO rate. That's dangerous. He allows a ton of hits.

I don't know how Gallardo is a better pitcher than Gausman. You can't subtract stuff from the equation. I mean, 3 out of 5 of Gallardo's pitches have a BAA of .300 or well above. His 2 seamer is approaching .300.

Gallardo is not a better pitcher than Gausman. Gallardo isn't as much of a thrower than Gausman, but that's because Gallardo has nothing to really throw.

My point, which is lost in the translation, is that Gallardo is a PITCHER not a THROWER. Gausman has yet to learn the ART of PITCHING and gets away with being a THROWER. As I had stated previous, IF Gallardo had the STUFF that Gausman has he would dominate and if Gausman (At his Age and development ) had Gallardo's STUFF he would get DFA'd. I concede that Gausman has a better future than does Gallardo but unless he harnesses the art of PITCHING and Not THROWING he will be a bust..

Archived